Anxiety Community
Tingly Feeling all over body-new anxiety symptom?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I've been extremely stressed out lately and have noticed what I believe to be a new symptom of my anxiety.  Does anyone else ever get a numb/tingly feeling in legs, arms, chest and around mouth?  I've never had this before, but from what I have read, it could be a symptom of anxiety?  It is amazing how the minute I start stressing about something, my body feels that way.
What you describe is very common for those of us with anxiety/panic. It is caused by hyperventalation. When we get anxious, our breathing becomes very shallow which means we aren't taking in enough oxygen and we aren't dispelling enough carbon dioxide. The end result is an upset in the balance/ratio of these things and the end result of that is a lack of oxygen to parts of our bodies. A very common symptom of that is tingling and numbness of the extremities and very commonly around our lips.
Most often, we are not even aware we are breathing in this shallow manner, so when the tingling and numbness strike, it just ramps up our anxiety as we are sure this is a sign of impending doom. The cycle then just gets worse. More fear, less oxygen, more tingling/numbness, more fear...............
I'd recommend you look up some breathing exercises and begin doing them as soon as you feel your anxiety level rising. In fact, it's a good thing to get in the habit of doing all the time. Keeping our bodies well oxygenated is important for more than just staving off an anxiety attack.
One "trick" I was taught to do during a panic attack was to breath into a small paper bag which I place over my nose and mouth. Hold it fairly tight and then just try to breath as normal as you possibly can. At first you will see the bag inflating and deflating at a pretty rapid rate, but slowly, as you rebreath the carbon dioxide and the levels in your body begin to equal out, you will not only see that your breathing is slowing down, you will feel your heart begin to slow down as well. Breath into the bag only until you feel yourself begin relax............at first this may take about 5 minutes or so. I have gotten so I only need to use the bag for about a minute. (I am NEVER without my bag!) Hyperventalting can cause so many symptoms and this is such an easy way to get it under control.
You say that it's amazing how the minute you begin to stress out, your body feels this way. Think of it in the reverse. You are breathing shallow and don't even know it, pretty soon your O2 sats are out of whack and you begin to feel anxious............it's kind of like the chicken or the egg thing. Did our anxiety cause us to hyperventalate, or did our hyperventalating cause us to feel anxious?
Give the breathing and bag thing a try. I think once you've proven the connection for yourself, you will have a powerful tool to help you.
I wish you the best
Peace
Greenlydia        
Thanks so much for the info!!!  It is very reassuring to hear that this is common.  
You're very welcome and I hope you give the breathing stuff a try. It's not magic and it won't stop the attack in its tracks, but it sure slows it down and gives you that very important sense of control.
GL
this is very common trust me, i have had severe anxiety for a year now and i have been feeling numbness in my hands and feet and i even feel my teeth or something go numb, this first happened in my first panic attack actually, and it made me feel horrified and i guess I'm just being paranoid thinking that there is something seriously wrong with my body and i went to the doctor to run tests because i also feel pain in my chest, sharp pains and sharp pains in my left shoulder which feel inflamed at times
I feel thus, it strikes hard in my hands teeth chest and feet it hurts and then I try to get it to go away and it comes back. Usually when I'm sad I take the numbness feeling as depression but yet to still be decided by my doctor. If anyone has
Info from there doctor please let me know it hurts.
I feel this tingly feeling as if I'm scratching a blackboard or a pair of tights. That shiver runs down my body and I feel the sensitivity in my toes and fingers and feel hot and cold all the time lately.
I've no idea what this is but the first time I got it was an hour after a dentist appointment. Since then it keeps coming back randomly and It makes me panick and hyperventilate etc.
Anyone know what this can be? Can it be to do with my tooth being pulled out at the dentists? Stress?
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status
35 mins ago
10356 commented on hi
1 hr ago
Amandag78 commented on hi