Anxiety Community
Tired all day, can't sleep at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Tired all day, can't sleep at night

Lately I've been tired and fatigued all day long but come night time I'm either wide awake or only a little tired. Usually I don't bother going to bed at night unless I feel so tired that I know I'll conk right out. If I'm only slightly tired and try going to bed I toss and turn and usually get up again once or twice. It seems like sometimes though I might be tired enough to fall asleep but I force myself to stay awake longer. There are times when I get anxiety thinking about going to bed at night. Maybe because getting comfortable and the act of falling asleep is frustrating for me. I've also been having issue of just starting to doze off and waking back up. This happens to me for at least an hour before I fall completely asleep
Hey there!

You sound like my long lost twin.  I have the exact same problem.  I FINALLY got to the point for about a month where I was sleeping through the night and without the aid of sleeping pills, but now I'm back to not sleeping, as I just started taking Wellbutrin.  Are you on any SSRIs?  If so, are you taking them  in the morning or at night?  

I have tried everything from Melatonin to over-the-counter sleep aids to Ambien and Lunesta.  The only thing that has ever helped me stay asleep is Trazodone.  It is commonly used for people like us, but it does have a big of a "hangover" effect the next day.  The plus side is that even though you may be tired from the pill the next day, your body is at least recharged and as the day goes on you feel less tired.  You're tired now anyway, so you really don't have anything to lose by trying it.  This drug usually doesn't help you fall asleep, though, it makes you stay asleep.  To fall asleep I take two Benadryl tablets (recommended by my therapist) and it really helps me to fall asleep.  The combination of the two drugs have worked well for me.  

I'd recommend making an appointment with your doctor to see what he / she recommends.  There are several prescription sleep aids that you can try.
I've had that. I've thought that I have some sort of ANXIETY towards falling asleep. The night time is strange for me. Sometimes I have no probs whatsoever. Other times I'm very tired and hit the sack. Other times I have a great deal of anxiety and can't seem to find the ease to go to bed.
Yep I'm on an SSRI, Celexa. I pretty much take it during whatever time of day. I saw my Dr. in Oct. for a physical and told him about my sleep problems. He prescribed me an antidepressant called Remeron to take at night. It helps me sleep but I can't seem to stay awake the next day. He had told me if the Remeron didn't work out he'd try me on amitriptyline
btw I find it's much easier for me to fall asleep on the couch as opposed to being in my bed haha
breney09 added the Pregnancy Tracker
9 mins ago
breney09 added the Mood Tracker
16 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on Moma_Cher's status
49 mins ago