Anxiety Community
To med or not to med>>

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

To med or not to med>>

I am  29wks pregnant and was recently diagnosed as being bipolar, We started Invega which seems to contol the mood swings. I'm still suffering with the anxiety and sleep.  Today I was given Lorazapam 1mg to use as needed for panic.  The problem is I am a recovering pain pill addict. I want to have treatment with meds but where do I draw a line without suffering. Any advice of stories of your own I would love to hear them!!!
"...THAT is the question."

Question, indeed. I'm going to assume that whoever gave you that medication knows you are pregnant, and, at 29 weeks, how can they not? But let's get down to brass tacks, here. As a recovering alcoholic and pain pill addict, there is some support system you should have -and if you don't have it, then get it. I'm talking about your AA sponsor and possibly a spiritual advisor -people close at hand you can talk to. This forum is just fine, and by all means USE it, share your story and help others -good therapy, that. But it is no substitute for face-to-face, hand holding support from a live human being who is just a phone call away.

Draw a line without suffering? Interesting idea. No one should suffer just for the pure experience of it; and on the other hand, growth does come with some work, some struggle. The point is, what's the payback for the effort expended? I don't know the answer, because the answer is ALWAYS personal. But the question and the implications of the struggle are material worthy of your attention.

So, you DO have an OB who knws the WHOLE story, right? And you DO have an AA sponsor who is also enlightened about it, right? And you ARE going to meetings, right?

One day at a time, jos. One day at a time. And please spend some of that time with us.
Yes my OB knows the WHOLE story.  I am meeting with her weekly now.  I have a great threapist I am seeing and can call and yes meeting 2 times weekly. I know I have to put in the effort to recover but that is where I get stuck what point do I say enough...give me the meds??
The boundary for taking the meds is tough to establish, and I would make it a frequent topic of discussion with your OB and the therapist. This is a situation where collaboration with your expert help is essential. If they meds are ALREADY being recommended, perhaps that time has come.

Easy does it.
specialmom, and 10356 commented on dominosarah's status
CRSeaside, and 10356 commented on Jade59's status
10356 commented on onthefence's status