Anxiety Community
Travel Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Travel Anxiety

I have always had a fear of traveling because I am afraid of getting sick while I’m away from home. When I do force myself to travel, I become very anxious and I do get stomach issues which prohibits me from having a good time, Before I travel I get worked up….I cannot sleep, I get a pit in my stomach and I feel sick.I need help and don’t know what to do. My doctor prescribed xanax but I don’t really want to depend on drugs to overcome this problem. Any advice you can give me will be very helpful. Thank you
Do you only have anxiety when you get ready to travel? Therapy would probably be a huge help to you as far as over coming your travel anxiety. Would seeing a therapist be possible for you?   Remar
Therapy would be good for you, it can determine if there is a root cause of your anxiety, how to cope and think differently.  None of us want to take medication, but there comes a point where you have to determine which you want more, being able to travel and have a good time, or continue like you are. I think therapy would be very beneficial for you.
Good luck and take care.
thank you both for your advice...but my medical insurance does not pay for a therapist...so I'm back to square one.  I am trying very hard to work this out myself.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again.
I just thought of something Nanci that might help you since your insurance won't cover therapy. Many years ago I worked as a travel agent and handled hundreds of international trips. One of the first questions many people asked was about the healthcare that was available in the area they would be traveling in. Even back then, (30+ years ago) we had extensive lists of hospitals, clinics and names and phone numbers of American doctors. I can only imagine how much more spohisticated that information is nowadays.
You might consider talking with a travel agent about your concerns. Trust me, they will definitely understand. They certainly cannot take the place of a qualified therapist, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at their level of compassion.
I think many of us have some concerns in the back of our minds about getting sick or injured while far away from home, but if you know beforehand not only that help is available, but exactly where it is, much of your aprehension may disappear.
In 1985 I traveled to Hong Kong..........81/2 months pregnant! To say that I was a little nervous is putting it mildly, but I just couldn't pass up the chance for a free trip. Tucked into the back of my passport was the number for the Canadian Embassy, the nearest American military base and two American doctors. My mind was totally at ease and in fact, I was almost hoping I'd give birth there! What a great story that would have been.
I also understand that you don't want to depend on drugs to help you overcome this problem, but until the time comes that you can afford therapy, a small dose of an antianxiety medication will not turn you into either a junkie nor a zombie and you can finally enjoy a vacation. And just perhaps when you find yourself NOT getting sick, perhaps because you're relaxed and not focused on feeling sick but rather on all the wonderful sights around you, maybe you'll have an epiphany! Absolutely no reason you shouldn't!
Travel is great for the mind, the body and the soul. I hope you get your wings soon!
And send postcards!
Peace
Greenlydia      
THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  You have put my mind at ease and I will certainly follow your advice!  When I return from my trip, I will let you know how it went!  Thanks for the support!
Have you ever tried dramamine? It settles my stomach and calms me down. It also prevents motion sickness. Of course, you couldn't take it if you are driving a motor vehicle.
I've never tried dramamine,,but will give it a try.  I won't be driving so I can take it.  Thanks for your advice.
forget_me_not commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 min ago
mladd joined this community
Welcome them!
Paxiled commented on How much arsenic is i...