Anxiety Community
Understanding "Triggers"..........

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Understanding "Triggers"..........

I have a question about "Triggers", I have heard people talk about it, but never really "got it". This morning when I woke up, had instant panic because I thought I had left the door at work unlocked when I closed up last night...........pretty normal I would say, like leaving the house and thinking you forgot to turn off the coffee pot or iron, right? Well, there was a time where these things would happen, but once I realized that all was well and everything was fine, the  fear was gone. Again, that was back in the day. This morning, though when I started to worry about that, my stomach was nervous, but I figured it would go away once I got to work and found that everything was OK. But it didn't, I am still nervous and anxious. Is this considered a "trigger"? I really should be fine at this point, so what is my system still in distress? I have had a reasonably good week with my anxiety, no major issues. So all I can think of for today, is that it all started with my little snafu this morning.

Thoughts??
Hey Kristine,

I think anything that gets you worrying can be a trigger, especially since if you come aware about the fact you're anxious and then start worrying about the worrying! For example, my triggers are looking up symptoms online. If I get a twinge or something and I am busy, I can just ignore it. However, if I am ruminating or bored at home and I look it up, I will automatically pick the worst thing to have and then feel terrible for the whole day- if I'm lucky I'll have a panic attack! Ha.

Anyways. Have you tried cognitive behavior therapy? It doesn't work for everyone, but for some people it works wonders. It's about being able to control your thoughts when  you do encounter a trigger. Try http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome if you're interested!

Take care!
A trigger is something that brings about the onset of panic. I might associate panic with cars. So cars would trigger my panic off. Different people have different triggers. But they are consistant. A trigger would always bring about the panic. I would more say what you had today was one nervous awakening. Yes it triggered a panic attack. If you go to be tonight and wonder if you locked up again it would most probably trigger another panic attack. Sort of what kicks the attack off. They can vary though. I know I said they are consistant. Some are. Some people panic in certain situations. That situation would have their trigger within. But I don't think every bit of worry is a trigger. It would wrong to say that. Worry is normal for anxiety sufferers. Doesn't mean it has to lead to a full blown panic attack.
I agree with Mr Green (above) who stated that "A trigger is something that brings about the onset of panic.".  Thats what it is to me.  Examples are standing in any kind of long queue.  Or stepping into an elevator.  Since I know they're my triggers I tend to avoid them.  It becomes a mental block for me.  
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
1 hr ago
clean_in_ks commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
opus88 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms