Anxiety Community
Unintentional anorexia due to anxiety?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Unintentional anorexia due to anxiety?

I'm wondering if anyone else has had severe problems with appetite and eating from anxiety. For the past six months at least, possibly longer I hardly eat and I don't do it on purpose. It's just that I either don't feel hungry or I'll take a few bites of food and what I'm eating either becomes suddenly unappealing, my stomach starts to hurt or I'll get nauseous. There are times when I actually start getting anxiety from eating! I've lost about 25 pounds over time and I think I'm already looking too skinny. I'm about 5' 6 1/2" and now weigh 125 lbs. I used to enjoy eating but now it feels like it's become a chore and I wish it would stop.
Yes, many of us that have anxiety have problems eating. Have you tried protein shakes or anything like that? You really need to get some nutrition in your body.
Are you getting any kind of treatment for your anxiety? Counseling and or meds?
This also happens to me. I went to the doctor for it and they suggested I might have high stomach acid (from stress or acid reflex). I had never had heartburn or anything before ( my brother has it so I thought I knew the symptoms) but I agreed to take the medicine they gave me (basically an uber antiacid). IT DID WORK. However, there were other side effects FOR ME that make this a difficult medication to take. For example: 30 mins before I take the pill I get light headed, if I don't eat 20 mins after I take the pill my old symptoms of nausea and discomfort return immediately, and if I ever took the pill late(even just a few minutes) I would get heartburn. These side effects aren't so bad but my work schedule makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to be this exact with my meals and the result was me feeling just as bad or worse 5/7 days in the week.  I would bring up the idea of the acid reflex with your Dr. Like I said,  it did work, it just didn't work right for my lifestyle. It's definitely worth it to try though.
Oh yes! Those Carnation Breakfast Essentials are wonderful! My doctor also suggested those to replace a meal and hopefully gain weight back.
I have exactly the same problem :( food just isn't appetising to me when I am having anxiety symptoms and even if I try to eat I can't :( I just can't do it and j don't feel Hungry... Meal times gives me anxiety also :( I had a baby a year ago and I'm smaller than what I used to be before I fell pregnant...my mum has even been asked by family friends if I suffer anorexia! I don't think I'm fat I just can't eat or don't feel like it... It makes me feel really sick if I try forcing myself....
Was that antacid prescription by chance Ranitidine?? Bc that's what I was presided and it did work but if I missed a dosage and or meal I was out of commission from the side effects.  Then I got off it and it was horrible,
I suffered with this problem for years due to anxiety.  Thanks to a gastrointestinal doctor he prescribed amytriptilline for me. It is an older antidepressant but worked wonderfully for me. Its not for everyone but the side effects were increased appetite and decreased my anxiety. I also had weight gain which i appreciated since i was too thin. Hope this helps someone!
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
10356, and Barb135 commented on VICourageous's status
10356 commented on 10356's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms