Anxiety Community
Very Strong Heartbeat in Stomach.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Very Strong Heartbeat in Stomach.

Hello everyone.

I have a question! My dad died 2 and a half year ago by a heart attack, i did try to save him but I was to late. A few months after that I was watching some TV while laying down on the couch when I saw my stomach moving .. So I was like "What the hell is this" and I freaked out and my first panic attack was born .. I tought I was gonna die, and I went to the E.R .. They said I was fine I was just having a panic attack .. So I went home, and all the symptoms got away (Shot of breath, chest pain, pain in left arm and some other symptoms) but my "heartbeat in my stomach" was still there .. So I went to my own docter, and told him about it .. He did send me to the hospital to get an ultrasound of my abdomen to see if it could be an "AAA" .. But everything was fine!

But I still saw my stomach move on every heartbeat, and it gets even stronger when i walk on the stairs! It gets so strong that when i lay down on my bed, and put my mobile phone on my stomach it jumps in the air .. So i had another few panic attacks! And went to the docter again, and he told me it was normal for people who experienced a traumatic "event" as me .. It was a typical symptom for Anxiety is what he told me.

But now I have a few questions .. How is it possible all my other symptoms are away (including the panic attacks) but my heartbeat is still so strong that i can see it very very obvious in my stomach (I think you call it pounding? II don't know the word), and feel it everywere in my body (fingers, stomach, head) .. I also have skipped heartbeats, but no other symptoms .. Just a very very strong heartbeat that I can see in my stomach and skipped heartbeats.

When I'm busy and don't think about it I don't notice its beating so strong .. But when I think "Oh let's see if i can still see my heartbeat in my chest/stomach" .. And watch it, it's still there. How is that possible? Because i know a strong heartbeat can be caused by adrenaline in the blood .. But you can't have adrenaline 24/7? So how is it possible my heartbeat is still so strong, even when I'm not panicking about it? Atleast not all the time, i have moments in a day that i still think .. "Oh **** I'm a bit scared"

By the way I'm 21, and I'm overweight! About 3.6 stone (23 KG) to much

Can anyone help me? I'm sorry about the bad English .. I'm from Holland! But there arn't any forums about this. So I asked here.

Thanks,

Jeroen!
I didn't know how to answer your question, so I searched the MH archives and came up with this response from Dr.Kevin Pho.
I don't want this to scare you, but I think having this very UN-invasive procedure done would relieve your mind tremendously. And.............on the off chance that an AAA is discovered, they can repair it immediately and you'll be good as new.
Dr.Pho's response was to a poster who had the exact same concerns as you.
Hope this helps.
Peace
Greenlydia
_________________________________________________________________________
Kevin Pho, MD, Jan 09, 2005 12:00AM

The pulsing in the abdominal area needs to be evaluated for a possible abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA).  This is a dilation of the major abdominal artery and can be evaluated with an abdominal ultrasound.  

This option should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Hello.

Thanks for your answerr! The problem is, I allready had an ultrasound! And everything came out fine.

Well, that's very good news! What did your doctor say about it after he got the test results? If he isn't concerned, then why should you be aside from the fact it is annoying.
You could keep going to doctors, but I think at this point it's probably your anxiety at work.
I think what you wrote here is the key to this:

"When I'm busy and don't think about it I don't notice its beating so strong .. But when I think "Oh let's see if i can still see my heartbeat in my chest/stomach" .. And watch it, it's still there."

And it's there because your anxious about it, your expecting it to be there, you're afraid it's going to be there and surprise! Your anxiety makes your heart beat faster and harder and when you see it, you get more anxious and the viscious cycle continues.

I think you answered your own question when you said "When I'm busy and don't think about it, I don't notice it beating so strong." STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!
If this urge comes over you to lay down and watch your heart beat, resist that idea for all your worth and get busy doing something else. Preferrably something physical and something you really enjoy.
Also learn some good deep breathing techniques which will slow your heart rate down when you get to thinking about it too much. You're probably hyperventalating which increases our heart rates.

And besides, I think if we all stare at our stomach long enough, we can see our heart beat. There is, afterall, a huge artery running through there!
Please let us know how you're doing and try to relax. I'm sure you're perfectly fine!
Peace
Greenlydia
Thanks again for your comment!

I allready tryed those breathing techniques, but like you said .. That's for slowing your heartbeat down .. Mine is down! My heartbeat is like 55 beats in a minute .. But it's just very strong .. And sometimes it skips a beat, or i get a few extra beats in a second.

Very weird, I think its anxiety .. But sometimes I think it's something else. Maybe I just have a very strong heartbeat? And Maybe it was allways there, but I just didnt notice it because I was never thinking about my heart? I mean .. Some people can see there heartbeat (atleast thats what I was reading on the internet) and some can't ..
A heart rate of 55bpm is excellent and I think you do just have a strong heartbeat. I guess the breathing exercises really aren't necessary for you! LOL

The feeling of skipped or extra beats is known as a palpatation and they are harmless. They DO feel weird and can be scary when you first experience one. The only time you have to worry about them is if they don't stop. The next time you see your doctor, let him know that you've had a few and have him explain them to you. Often times palps will be brought on by anxiety, and vice versa.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that this was always there but because you weren't focused on your heart, you never paid any attention to it. Once those of us with anxiety latch onto an idea like "there's somethng wrong with my heart." we become like dogs with a bone and just will not stop gnawing on it.

And you're very correct when you say that some people can see their heartbeats and some can't.
I think all you need is a quick check up with your doc who will tell you your heart is sound and that seeing your heartbeat and palps are normal. Then you can stop worrying!
Peace
Greenlydia  
Thanks for the comments .. They help alot!

It's very strange, but when I see other people saying this, it looks so "normal" .. But when I think about it myself, I always think about scary things. Haha

My skipped heartbeats always go away! I feel them .. It's like a very strong heartbeat. But that's all .. And (again) I have the feeling they get more when I think about them.

Thanks again! Sorry for the bad English .. Haha I try my best but it's pretty hard.
CRSeaside commented on weaver71's status
55 mins ago
msdelight commented on photo
Study finds laundry detergent pods,...
5 hrs ago by gymdandee