Anxiety Community
Visible heartbeat in chest and upper abdomen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hey all, my names Kristen and i'm 16 years old. No previous medical problems and no family history of problems. well here goes...i have been suffering from anxiety/depression for 4 months now and i have had enough of it. I have been to the doctors and the ER on numerous occasions and i have gotten to the point where i can no longer take it and i am sick of feeling this way everyday! When it first started i got numbness and tingling in my left arm and started to feel flutters and mild chest pain, almost like being poked with a sharp pin. My left arm felt heavy as did my chest and i felt i had pressure on my chest, from there i started worrying constantly, experienced muscle twitching/ my body was shaky and i got headaches. experienced dizzyness/feeling lightheaded, shooting pains all over my body.I went to the doctors numerous times, he took my bp which was normal, had x-rays done in ER, everything normal and everyone just keeps telling me its anxiety and i have nothing to worry about,i have been on medication to relieve my symptoms which did help alot but made me feel very drowsy(also suffered sleeping troubles-insomnia i think its called) However good news is i am on the mend, i have stopped taking the medication and have started worrying less and less, but up until recently i have noticed a visible heartbeat in my upper abdomen as in it moves in time with my heartbeat, as does my chest, i can slightly see my left breast moving and its more noticeable when i exercise, however it does not hurt, what could this be and has anyone else ever experienced this? I do plan on going to see my doctor again as this is something that i have never noticed before. Sorry its such a long post all your comments are much appreciated, thankyou :)
Hello there,

I'm glad to head your anxiety is a bit better now and that you don't needed the medication for a long time.

It's normal to notice your heart beat by visually looking at your chest. It has been like this all your life but you just never noticed it since you were not paying attention and you we're not having anxiety at the time ( also anxiety can make your heart beat increase and/or pump harder.

People with anxiety will start to develop a kind of compulsive obsessive comportment of always looking at their body and notice everything that appears to be not normal but in fact it is and maybe it always been there. Like a lump that always been there under your bicep but you never noticed it because you weren't paying attention when you were anxiety free since you had better thing to do rather than overwatching your body.

Anxiety is considered to be a normal reaction to stress. It may help a person to deal with a difficult situation, for example at work or at school, by prompting one to cope with it. When anxiety becomes excessive, it may fall under the classification of an anxiety disorder. It is closely related with OCD ( obsessive–compulsive disorder ). Since you mentioned often looking at your body and reactions please try to not fall into OCD comportement

Anxiety can be accompanied by physical effects such as heart palpitations, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headaches. Physically, the body prepares the organism to deal with a threat. Blood pressure and heart rate are increased, sweating is increased, bloodflow to the major muscle groups is increased, and immune and digestive system functions are inhibited (the fight or flight response). External signs of anxiety may include pale skin, sweating, trembling, and pupillary dilation. Someone suffering from anxiety might also experience it as a sense of dread or panic.

There are many drug-free option to treat anxiety permanently.

Physical activity is on top of my list since it will make you body produce a lot of hormones that are actually needed for healthy body and mind. Healthy diet should always be complementary to physical activity since your body will need more supply to make your body and mind operate properly.

On a final word i could suggest you luminotherapy. Luminotherapy means light therapy and usually involves half-hour sessions in front of a bright lamp (10 000 lux), specially adapted to treat seasonal depression. The principle is simple: light exposure slows down melatonin production, fighting sleepiness and depression. The light reaches the brain through the retina of the eye, as nerve impulses, to alter hormone levels, which in turn reset your body clock and boost your immune system. Some doctors and health farms offer luminotherapy as a treatment, but there are also special lamps on the market for home use.

Hope all this will help you dealing with your anxiety. Consult you doctor if you are interested in any of the suggestions i proposed to you.

Best regards,
M4
penn1023 commented on I'm Back!
27 mins ago
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
49 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
1 hr ago