Anxiety Community
Vistaril vs Klonopin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Vistaril vs Klonopin

My doctor prescribed me Vistaril about 8 months ago to use as needed for anxiety attacks.  I have used about 15 of them in the last 8 months.  This drug makes me very drowsy the day after I take it.  I almost need 12-14 hours to sleep it off.  I can't do this as I have two small children, a full time job, and I'm a student.  

A friend of mine mentioned that I should try clonazepam.  I was just wondering if anyone has tried both of these and what their experience is with it.  Do you take the clonazepam daily or just as needed.  I prefer a drug I can take when I'm feeling especially anxious.  

I was also wondering if I should just ask my general practicioner for this.  I don't want to look like someone who just wants drugs.  I just want a prescription that I can take as needed and continue to function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kLONOPIN IS 100% BETTER THAN VISTERIL.   oJNE OF MY DOCTORS WEENED ME OF KLONOPIN, AND ON TO VISTERIL, AND i FEEL NOTHING FROM VISTERIL,  i NOW HAVE PANIC ATTACKS AGAIN, MOOD SWINGS AND EXTREME ANXIETY AGAIN.   i AM PISSED, LOST MY JOB, CANT FUNCTION, AND MADE A BIG MISTAKE BY GOING TO A PSYCH AS RECOMMENDED BY MY PRIMARY DOCTOR.
Hi.  I have never been on Vistaril, but have been on Klonopin for a few years.  I really like it and it works well.  One good thing is that it has a long half life so stays in your system longer.  I use to take, as needed, but do to GAD, I now take 3 times a day.  However, I am going to talk to him about tapering down.  I notice some drowsiness, but nothing like what you are mentioning.  Hope this helps.
Sue 357, I was on klonipin (klonopin) for more than 3years and neber exoerienced any "addiction" properties like my "Quack" doctor was all worried about. I have massive panic and anxiety attacks and the klonipin (klonopin) was literally my lifeline to a normal life. Well, recently I have had to travel quite a bit due to my job and have called the "quack" to ask if I could get a 5-7 day early refill. Because of this he and his nurse decided that I was a drug addict or a dealer and cut me off and put me on paxil and vistaril. Let me tell you, it's like taking a placebo. My panic attacks and anxiety have seemed to heighten, in my opinion they are both worthless pharmaceuticals. So then they put me on seraquel, which I might ad is for people with bi-polar disorder and psychotic behaviour neither of which I have ever been diagnosed with. The only thing it did for me was made me sleep for 26, yeah 26 hours. And when I woke up I felt like **** for two days. Doctors today it seems to me are too worried about a handful of patients who abuse these benzodiazipines(valium, ativan klonipin (klonopin) etc. and don't give a damn about treating the patient in the fear that they might become dependant on these meds. The old shrink that i was seeing left the practice and regularly prescribed me ativan and valium without any worries about me becoming a drug addict. I'll tell you it is hard to find a doctor that is willing to listen to what has worked for you in the past. They always have a "better solution with some better **** that is most of the time very expensive.

Thanks for listening to my babbling. hemispheres65
Klonopin works great, for both the physical and mental of anxiety, especially if you have it 24/7 "gad"
Drs like to think Antidepressants are the key to anxiety, but thats just not true all the time.

They will probably give you a hard time about asking for it, ask for buspar first "non benzo" and try that, if that doesnt work then go to the clonazepam "klonopin"
Vistaril is nothing but Benadryl really, most of the qualities come from the ANTIHISTAMINE, which I guess if you have allergies would work pretty good, lol
They cut me off my klonopin and tried giving me that ****, and I told them that was the first thing I was given when My anxiety started, and it did nothing, she just looked at me like I was stupid and didnt know myself.
I guess they feel people suffering from anxiety are mentally incompetent of making a real decisions, and accurate needs of medicines.
The best thing that you can do is to get a benzodiazepine prescribed like clonazepam, but if the doctor absolutely refuses to prescribe a benzodiazepine to you then there is something that is available over the counter that actually works, it is called Kava, make sure to only use the recommended amount of Kava other wise it can put stress on the liver, it is the only thing that is available over the counter that works, I'm speaking from experience, not just from what I read

Take Care
I have been somewhat in the situation that you are in.  My doctor had me on 1 mg. Xanax 4 times a day.  After a year or so, I sat down with my doctor, and explained that the xanax was not working as well as it once did.  He kept me on the same dose of xanax and added Vistaril.  It only took a couple of days before I was back in his office being taken off of the Vistaril.  I had severe headaches not to mention that I flipped and totaled my brand new pathfinder.  I cant really say that the Vistaril had a major part in the accident, but my reflexes were off.  Anyway, I'm still on the Xanax and instead of taking 1 pill 4 times a day, I talk 2 pills twice a day.  My doctor didn't tell me to do that, but I found that it worked for me and didn't want to ask him to increase my dose since I'm already on several very strong medicines.  My advise would be to find a doctor like I did that will sit down with you and listen that everything you have to say and understand.  More than likely he will put you on a benzodiazapine of some kind.  Those are really the only "nerve" pills that actually work.  Be very careful, they are highly addictive and you can easily overdose.  I actually give all of my medications to my mother and get them from her when I'm supposed to take them.  I hope this information helps.  Feel free to E-Mail me if you have any questions @ ***@**** .   P.S. I'm a medical student at the Medical University of South Carolina in case you were wondering if any of this info was correct.  good luck.
if yu start with klonopin, be prepared to deal with the devil. benzo's are if not the most addictive substances on earth., petty close.ou can get off heroine fin a week but benz's can have w/d effects years. they're talking  mostly about xanax but all are extremely addicting. i had to take 15g's of klon to calm me down alond with seroquel, lots of kratom. and beer.just to calm down. just be very, very careful. some people can handle it short term fewer people long term-getting off.-very difficult, but most people like me have addictive personalities- i took 10g's today and don't really know what i'm going to do. be honest with yourself and more power to you if  you can stay at a certain dose. but you do biuld tolerance fairly quickly and then you start to say just a little more.. if you can stick to it short term, you'll be ok but the longer you use the harder it is to get off. don't let anyone fool you, benzo's are  horribly addictive and i strongly suggest you do your homework before trying. i've been on benzo's for 5 years and if you want to discuss it contact me at ***@****  good luck. ernie i can't believe there's people telling you to get on it .there is a whole plethora of natural herbs that you would not believe would help. please try this before jumping into klon. things loke 5-htp, st.jw, suntheanine, phrmagaba, etc... now if you   have severe anxiety/panic attack disorder and if it stops you from functioning, then benzo's are absolutely the best. otherwise, look into alternative remedies. thanks for listening and i;m here for you. god bless! ernie
Txern you were not taking 15g's of clonazapam. That tolerance is too high to be possible. Maybe 15mg's. Please do not post b.s. Yes benzo withdrawl (withdrawal) is horrible as is opiate withdrawl (withdrawal). If taken as prescribed though, klonopin should help you much more than vistaril.
I just got out of detox from Benzo's-Xanax,  and Valium!! it was the worst!! I am now taking Vistaril  prn...........it's just fine and not addictive. Be careful!!
I have been on buspar and vistaril for about 4 days now  doc will not give nothing like xanax, klonopin, ativan etc to addicting she says.  my mental and anxity is alt better but will see if it stays that was, vistaril seems top be saving me,  i am tired from it but this shall pass. I pray it will only get better
I know this was posted about a year ago but am hoping you will see this anyway.  You said Klonopin is your every day lifeline to staying normal and Ativan is for emergency use, when ***** hits the fan.  I was always under the impression that Klonopin was a stronger medication that was given when Ativan or xanax is not cutting it any more.  Is this not the case?  I take Ativan for severe nausea and vomiting but am finding that I need to take it for anxiety as well and the dose that I need to take is rather high, as I am on a lot of strong meds and my tolerance level to everything is high.  I want to save my Ativan for times when the vomiting attacks are really bad, not just when i am anxious or just nauseated.  They gave me Vistaril but it is like taking nothing.  Would klonopin be helpful for me to take on a more regular basis while saving the Ativan for the severe nausea and vomiting?  In your opinion?  
I was on xannax for many years. My last rx was for 1 mg three times a day. It stopped working and I tried to get off of it. BIG MISTAKE!! The most awful experience of my LIFE!
I was rxed Klonopin 1mg three times a day, and no more xannax. The transition worried me, but it was a lifesaver for anxiety.  I have been on it for 1 month, and hope it doesn't stop working. The "calm" feelings last for hours, much different than xannax, or anything like it (ativan, valium) I would recommend it for anyone who suffers from anxiety.
I have a friend SUFFERING from visteral. She was on ativan, and although I have never taken Visteril, she is having an awful time with it. It makes her MORE ANXIOUS! I know that these drugs are all in the same family, and can't understand why it is making her feel so terrible. Some of you here seemed to have the same reaction.  I advised her to tell her doctor and maybe get the visteril changed to Klonopin, but she is worried that the dr. won't do it. A lot of dr's are weird when it comes to changing prescriptions, rather pigheaded if you ask me! I hope she has success, after reading your comments and knowing what the klonopin does for me, I must agree it is great and it gets me through the day without any stress or anxiety at all. Like a miracle drug for me!
i currently take large doses of both clonazapam and vistiral and am being weaned off for we are trying to conceive in a month, i am having horrible withdrawals wake up in panic, shake, severe headaches they are both strong meds, strongest in fact I've been on everything else and it doesnt work so i am calling my doctor today, he says if benefits outway risks he will keep me on clonazepam during my pregnancy if it occurs. i am in a terrible state of mind right now, i lost my job because of my gad, it all depends on your body i guess. clonazepam i was on 6mg a day and vistiral 150mg a day and weaning down from those doses is like getting off meth, ive been there too in my past and it is a terrible feeling i know. while i was on both at high doses my anxiety diminished but now it is terrible so id take caution with these meds
I was given Vistaril by my general practitioner and it works great for me.  then again, one of my main problems was panic attacks and insomnia.  Try asking for an anti-depressant like Zoloft to help it counteract the next day effects.  I currently take Xanax, Zoloft and Vistaril and all together they keep my panic attacks and sleep patterns normal.  I was on the verge of losing my job before I got these medications.
I have extreme anxiety I haven't been able to leave my house in 2 months....my dr. Put me on celexa 10mg and Ativan .5 , neither one seemed to work as a matter of fact the Ativan made my anxiety worse i felt weird on it and at times it made me light headed! Had a doctors appt today and she upped my celexa to 20mg and when I told her about the Ativan she said if I couldn't take Ativan I wouldn't be able to handle other benzos....but I have to have something celexa is not enough on its own to take care of my anxiety and panic attacks .....so she decided to write me vistaril...I'm so scared of medicine...especially after reading some of the post about vistaril .I was wondering if vistaril doesn't work what should I do is there something else that might would help me ?
I'm currently on lamictal , Zoloft, zyprexa ,vistaril and trilifon....doc accidentally did not fill my vistaril 3 weeks ago before tracing out of country and for 5 days I felt GREAT...got it refilled last week .  Wondering if I can take kava on top of all this as I still have some bad anxiety still.

Thank you...
TinaR10 commented on photo
3 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on photo
1 hr ago
Thin4Freedom added the Menstrual Cycle Tracker