Anxiety Community
Wake up, panicking, cursing/have to move
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Wake up, panicking, cursing/have to move

Since I was very young, I have had a fear of dying into eternal nothingness. I have found myself waking up, as the years have passed by, more and more often in an extreme panic.  I am not dreaming, but in a state of sleep where my mind is completely void of thought, time and where I am (I feel as if my life is "non-existent" during this state of sleep), when suddenly my head is intruded by the single idea and sometimes words in my head "i have to die" or "i wont exist". Instantly I wake up yelling extremely loud and I have to get up and move around or sometimes pound the bed violently for about 5 seconds, usually cursing and acting extremly irrational. Only when Im in this state of sleep does the idea of death bother me. I have no fear of death when Im awake at all.  It simply consumes me and nobody or nothing can console me until I calm down and collect myself in 2-5 minutes. I feel like everytime it happens it's because my body or mind is reacting to this thoughtless, non-existent state, as if it is some type of mental defense mechanism or simply refusing to slide into mental nothingness. During this time, nothing and no one can calm me because theyre concern could not be as deeply rooted, especially since it feels like I have had a preview of Death and Eternal Nothingness. These attacks happen randomly, sometimes a few nights a part, sometimes months apart.  What can I do to remedy this?