Anxiety Community
Wake up feel like I can't swallow
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Wake up feel like I can't swallow

Sometimes I wake up a little while after I fall asleep with my heart racing, shaking from head to toe & a feeling that I can't swallow and I'm going to die. I have to force myself to swallow and it takes a few seconds for it to happen. It's the scariest thing ever!!! I suffer from GAD but I never have had this till recently. I'm sure it's all part of the anxiety but does anyone else experience this too? How can I alleviate these symptoms before I go to slepp?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
890388_tn?1241192762
Are you by chance takign abilify? It can cause terrible problems with swallowing.
Blank
847195_tn?1296175247
Hi, its called Globus hystericus:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Globus-hystericus-/show/765624

i get all those symptoms a lot to, its terrible, i get and get a big blanket around myself, drink some calming tea, and i calm down pretty fast, it took me a long time to figure that out, try it, i used to sit there shaking for like 30 or 40 minits it was terrible but it happens now i dont feel so afraid, its just something that is caused by anxiety and will go away after some time of relaxing...
Blank
I used to think I was the only one who had this crazy symptom, but there seems to be a bunch of us out there.  those seconds with the throat closed, trying to swallow seem to take FOREVOR sometimes.  I actually get this most every night. I know that if I tough it out it eventally goes away and I manage to drift off to sleep, but sometimes, if it is too exhausting, I will take a xanax, which usually stops it.  I have  tried many herbal sleep aids, but none have gotten me past this...though there are still others I have not tried such as Allteril...I know how terrifying this is, but it helps to know it ALWAYS goes away eventally, and it can't actually hurt you..so hang in there:)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
11323603_tn?1417237392
Blank
meuhmy added the Weight Tracker
1 hr ago
Blank
djpepper joined this community
Welcome them!
2 hrs ago