Anxiety Community
Waking up in a panic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Waking up in a panic

I have had anxiety for a long time and have suffered from what my former therapist called 'morning unpleasantness', a feeling of dread upon waking.  
     For the last year or so I have been waking once or twice each night (the dog wants out, my partner snoring etc...), and wiithin 30 seconds my mind starts to race with panicky thoughts.(usually meaningless worries having nothing to do with actual legitimate worries).  It has gotten to the point that I will put a half of a Xanax on my nightstand to stave off sleepless hours; however, sometimes it is an hour before my waking-up time, so I just get up and walk around the house or stand in the bathroom trying to calm down.
    I have had two sleep studies that concluded that I don't suffer from apnea.
    Does anybody suffer from this problem?  What do you do?  I dread going to sleep most nights.
I am so sorry that you are going through this, that must be horrible for you. I have suffered from a lot of anxiety so I understand how upsetting/scary this must be to you. I am not sure what your take is on medical marijuana/marijuana, but honestly that is the best cure for sleep. There are no harmful side effects, and it will usually knock you out/calm you down pretty quickly. It is natural so there scary side affects such as with other medications ( I am not downing the Xanax--I take a prescription anti-anxiety/depressant pill randomly when my anxiety seems to get to an uncomfortable place, so I do understand taking medications). Just a suggestion. Otherwise, you might want to try a green tea/honey/apple cider vinegar mixture. My fiancée introduced me to this drink, and it is so easy to make, and really helps! It calms you down almost instantly as you are drinking it, and the warmth of the drink also helps to calm your nerves/racing thoughts. I hope you can find something to help you soon though! Just know it won't last forever--everything gets better in time. I am so sorry that you have to dream going to sleep because of this though, I know that would be hard on anybody. I wish you the best of luck finding what works for you.=)
*dread

From what I hear of anxiety in this forum and another I belong to, morning 'unpleasantness' is common.  I have it.  It is similar to yours but ,I wake shaking inside, and until I get my breathing under control, or get up to wash my face and do other morning things, am in a twilight zone.

I may or may not have had dreams I recall, but the shaking is fairly constant.  It really doesn't bother me much anymore, as it disappears fairly quickly.

What I do is wake slowly, feel the shaking and start taking deep breaths.  I also have a habit of thinking of the many things that I am happy about...starting with my bed and the paintings on the wall.  But honestly it seems the way to get past it is to start your day.

Funny you mention dreading sleep.  Don't believe I do, but I am a real night owl now that I am retired and can set my own awake/sleep times.  I have wondered a couple of times if I was avoiding sleep...you know, like a child, who keeps finding reasons to stay up beyond bedtime.

Good plan to have the Xanax by bed.  If you wake at 3AM, it would be wise to take it as you most probably won't be able to get back to sleep. I have a cat who may decide he is ready for food @ 3AM :) and I don't realize how early it is until I stumble into kitchen and glance @ clock. Usually I have no problem getting back to sleep, but if I do, then I take some clonazapam.

I take clonazapam to contol agoraphobia/panic disorder.  Like you, I have had this disorder for many years.  

Good luck with mornings...
OMG i thought i was the only one who goes through this! it feels good to know i'm not the only one. I experience the same things. it not only happens at night but also during the day like when i am taking a nap. i wake up more than once a night if my husband is snoring or if its a random noise and it scares me. i automatically wake up in panic and my heart starts racing like crazy. my minds starts going haywire. i start to think of everything and begin to worry. its hard for me to fall back to sleep because once i start thinking about things i cant. sometimes i get up and walk around and other times i lay in bed until i can fall back asleep. i too try and get something to drink to help ease myself and when it drink its like i havent had nothing to drink in days. when i was a little girl i suffered from terrible nightmares. my grandmother used to tell me i would be screaming in the middle of the night. i dont remember them at all. im now 21 and sometime i still suffer form them. i wake up from a bad dream and fear going back to sleep because i dont want to dream again. i wake up in middle of the night always around 3 or 4. it is always so hard for me to fall back asleep. i get angry and frustrated at myself that i cant. im going to try keeping Xanax on my night stand and see if that helps. im glad MH has forums like these so we can meet other people whp are going through similar things we are and we can see that we are not alone.
The Deadly Cancer That Grows for Tw...
20 mins ago by gymdandee
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
Important Factors Typically Ignored...
2 hrs ago by gymdandee