Anxiety Community
Waking up in terror to the slightest sound

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

For the last week or so I've been waking up in the night in full terror. This happens suddenly and is triggered by the most innocent sounds - like my boyfriend switching off light, closing his laptop etc.
It seems that my brain is hyper-sensitive listening to any kind of sound, and when there is even the gentlest one, I wake up TERRIFIED - with my heart racing and wide open eyes.

I know it's not related to dreams because I normally remember my dreams, and I know I have been having nightmares for a while. When I wake up from the nightmares, I am not as scared as I get when the sounds awaken me.
When I wake up scared by a sound, I feel like an extemely scared animal full of adrenaline.

Does that sound familiar? What could be causing that?
I'm desperate to find an answer as I am getting more and more drained and exhausted from this.

Thanks in advance!
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms