Was/is anyone afraid to see a therapist ?
I've had my anxiety under control for about four years now, but a week and a half ago I pretty much lost it.  Since than its been hell.  I don't even know why I'm so anxious all the time, which just makes it worse.  I've finally made the decision to go and talk to someone, but I'm scared to death about it.  I know that I shouldn't be so nervous about it, I mean this person is going to be there to help me, but I guess I just don't know what to expect.  A part of me is afraid they won't be able to help, or I won't feel comfortable with the person to be able to actually open up.  I was just curious if others have been in this position, and how it worked out for them.
Hello Osirisdev. I've suffered with anxiety for approximately 5 years now. I've been through a similar circumstance where I was scared to go to therapy. I was always afraid that either my therapist would tell someone what I tell them or be a complete jerk. I've gone through several therapists for different reasons including anxiety, depression and anger. First step is to find someone you are comfortable expressing emotions to. Sometimes letting your therapist know how you function and what helps keep you calm will help them adapt to your needs. If you still don't feel comfortable with them after a certain amount of time you can either tell them that (don't worry they wont be mad) or you can simply change your therapist. No shame in that. If you aren't comfortable enough to talk to him/her then what is the point of going? No reason to be afraid (:

Good Luck,
Patricia
Thanks Patricia, I think I'm feeling a little better.  I think I was assuming that they would force me to do things I didn't feel comfortable doing (which they still might) but I always have the option to switch if its not what I feel is right for me.  

The name's Brett Btw
Your welcome. There really is no way they can force you to say anything you don't feel comfortable saying. They took they job they have to help, not to try and make you feel uncomfortable. But you are absolutely right. If you feel what they provide is not what you need to ease your mind, you can switch. No need to worry, Bret. (: