Anxiety Community
Weaning of Xanax

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Weaning of Xanax

I have been on xanax .5 mg for a few months now and I am looking to get off the medication. I am just wondering what and how is the safest way to wean off this medication? I am afraid to wean it off because I really dont want my symptoms of anxiety to come back. The reason why I think I am going to get the symptoms back is because when the xanax wears off in my system I feel anxiety really bad once again but I think once I get off of it I will be able to feel like my normal self again. Thanks Tom.
Firstly may I congratulate you for wanting to get off this habit-forming drug Tom. To wean yourself from xanax start to slowly reduce your dose with your doctor's supervision. Break a tablet in half or if taking the liquid form reduce it .1 mg at a time. See how you feel with the reduced dose. Next step is how have you learned to cope with your anxiety?

Do you garden?
Play any sport?
Have any hobbies or interests?
Do you eat anything besides junk foods? lol
Eating good healthy foods is essential for the brain.

I'll gladly help you get on your path to great anxiety-free living!

tough2beat = FreedomBuilder
Sorry , but you need to stay on xanax, if your already questioning how you will feel , then stay on it! you are not on that high of a dose, PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND XANAX!!! this drug is addictive, no question about that, but has it made your quality of life better? also yu know "meds"  is not A CURE only  help with PANIC ATTACKS!  are you seeing a Dr. regularly now? talk to your Dr. first! remember again xanax is for the relief of a ACUTE PANIC ATTACK ONLY! nothing more! you need to work on your anxiety now.. but do not try getting off it now, from your post, you are not ready, AGAIN YOU HAVE TO WANT TO GET OFF XANAX AND WANT TO CONTINUE WITH A 'NORMAL' LIFE. tapering is easy, IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HARD, remember that!! I want you to know you have support here, so please post, send me message if you need ot talk, I have been there with xanax, I really get tired of people who never had 'acute' PANIC attacks like us and don't understand how xanax helps!!

If you want to wean off, this should be discussed with your psychiatrist, not done by yourself.  Benzos can be tough to quit, and there's the possibility of a seizure, so be safe.  But what silverberg is saying is, the time to wean off a drug is when you no longer need it, or if the side effects are too hard to endure, or if it doesn't work.  If you still need the medication, you're not ready to quit yet.  You still need to work on it with your therapist.  There's not enough info here for me to know if Xanax just isn't the right med for you, and you might only need therapy and some natural remedies if the anxiety isn't that debilitating, but if it is you're going to just end up on something else so if the Xanax is working, use it to help you work on this until you no longer need it.
Dont be scared that the symptoms might return.
This is a critical step in quitting a benzo, allot of people take one type or another of a benzo at one point in there life, and when the go to quit they expierence withdraw, and confuse the withdraw with there first anxiety problem, so thats what keeps them on it. "Of course there are some out there that just need it...for life"
Talk it over with your doctor, go ahead and ween off, "there will be some sort of withdraw"
And just look at the situation, and give it a couple weeks to evaluate the "feelings" your going through.
If you feel its the original problem coming back, get back on your meds, if you feel its waxing and weening, thats withdraw probably.

I went through a pretty bad withdraw, but I could tell the difference because I was having "OCD" like feelings "I dont have OCD" and it was mainly in the mornings "Wierd" it would gradually go away then about 4-5 pm, it would go away.
My original anxiety wasnt like that, it was 24/7...so thats how I determined the difference.

Just look for things like that.

You might also wanna talk to your Doc about getting a longer lasting benzo instead of xanax to taper from....or if you decide you still need them.
Good luck
O man, my type Os are BAD in the morning, lol
Sorry if you cant read through my 1st grader typing
I wanted to stop taking xanax, so I did. I started a new career, loved it and thought I don't need meds anymore. WRONG. After a few days, feeling like the biggest wimp in the world, I took 5 mgs and experienced my feeling of well-being again in about an hour. Lesson for me, I may not like having to take meds, even thyroid meds, but I have to or my quality of life goes downhill. I fell at work and broke my arm in May....without being able to work and then come home and care for house and dogs without pain, unable to sleep for very long without pain waking me up, I'm having anxiety attacks left, right and sideways. The xanax takes the edge off and I can remember that this too shall pass.
I was weaned almost completely off Xanax several years ago.  The doctor decreased my dosage by 1 mg each month.  The weaning process was VERY difficult.  I have major problems with anxiety and panic attacks, and I don't think he should have tried to reduce it that much to begin with.  People who have not experienced that kind of anxiety just do not understand.  In my opinion, the doctor also reduced the dosage too fast.  I think a decrease of .5 a month would have been better.  I felt terrible during this time.  I felt very odd.  I was dizzy and I felt like I was going to pass out at times and like I couldn't breathe right. I don't think my reaction was due to increased anxiety on my part.  I think it was withdrawal.  

You'll never want to go off of it cold turkey.  That can be dangerous.  You can have seizures or other serious problems.  

Kat
i was detoxed off klonopin after being on it for 5 yrs its been 5 months now it was a horribal time for me i now take 0.5 mg of xanax been doing that for about 4 months now want get off of that to can anyone help me i am very scared i think i have the worst gad in the world because of my scarey thoughts and i am afraid of every thing but i think it is in my best intrest to off of meds except for a ocasional as needed xanax has anyone ever had a sciezure from weaning off a med suchh as xanax or klonopin i did not have a scizure comming off klonopin because i was medicaaly detoxed i really just need some answers and all my doc wants to do is put me on more meds      thanks    laurie
Did any of you withdrawing from xanax feel so tired that you could hardly move around?  Also I have lots of body aches, every where.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks for your comment.I have been on this drug for these attacks I was having and at the time I didn't know what was going on. My doctor put me on this drug (xanax) although she told me it is addictive I did not understand what that meant because I never been addicted to anything. Now I want to get off because I don't like the way it makes me feel or there the lack of. I can't  cry and show know emotion, plus I can fall asleep like normal. I'm on .5 and I have been cutting them in half. I keep trying to cut back even more but my breathing is affected. I feel like I can't breath. What does this mean. Thanks so much, you are very caring and great understanding of this problem.
1st off, I don't suffer from panic attacks. I was put on Xanax for the inability to sleep. This was 10 years ago @ 1mg. a day taken at night. 8 years ago I began to suffer from slight anxiety due mostly to being single with a mortgage, child support and an older son who stays in trouble with the law and was upped to two per day. 3 times he has found and stolen my meds, leaving me to go a few days before going through the BS of getting a refill. The withdrawal is almost instant. Last week realizing I was almost out I called in a refill. The script is for 3 per day but I only take two. The pharmacy refuse to refill until today as this was the 90 day date. Apparently he has stolen them again. But the 3 1/2 days of withdrawal were hell to say the least. 2 hours ago I was a sweating shaking mess. Now I'm perfectly fine. But after much research on this I've decided I want to wean off until I'm completely free. Any advise or suggestions like natural remedies would be appreciated.
Jeff
I would encourage you to start your own thread (orange "post a question" button) as you've posted on a very old thread and won't get the replies you're looking for.

If you've decided to come off the Xanax, just be sure you do it with the help of your doctor.  A slow and gradual taper is the best approach, to minimize any w/d symptoms and any rebound anxiety/insomnia.

It's difficult to treat insomnia.  Taking meds (even natural ones) long term isn't really the answer, as it leads to terrible rebound insomnia when they are d/c'ed.    The BEST way to treat insomnia is to try to find out if there is an underlying cause (ie sleep disorder, anxiety/depression, etc) and address it, and also to work to change sleeping habits.  When you start a new thread, I'll elaborate for you.

The prescription issue is a big one.  This could end up negatively affecting YOU if you don't report the theft of the meds.  You can very well be red flagged and may have difficulty getting any kind of controlled substance again.  Unfortunately, addicts use the "my script was stolen" excuse all the time to try to get more meds, so if you're just saying that and not reporting it, chances are there are probably suspicions that you're abusing or diverting the Xanax.

Good luck to you, I'll keep my eye out for your new thread!
I have been taking Alprazolam (xanax) for 13 years....3 times per day...0.25 mg. My Dr wants me off of this medication so I am now in the weaning process. Every 2 weeks I lessen one of my doses to half, etc. It is working out well and other than feeling a bit tired I do not get any withdrawal symptoms. They have found that long term use of Alprazolam causes dementia. If you have anxiety and you are afraid to wean off the Dr may suggest a mild dose of Lexapro to help keep the edge off. Good Luck to all who want to get rid this awful addictive medication. It is so bad for us.
Whoever prescribed this to you should be the one initiating the weaning, why do you guys play with drugs? Those are narcotics for God's sake! Are blogs replacing doctors now?
Ruthy55 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
5 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on KeeLolo's status
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on veronica0808's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms