Weaning off of Xanex
I have been taking .25mg of Xanex for about 2 months in the morning. I started to wean myself off because my Zoloft is starting to kick in on Friday of last week. I changed my dosage to 1/2 of a pill. I've had some withdrawal and was wondering if anyone else has had this and how long the withdrawal lasted? Also I have a big fear about the seizure thing when stopping Xanex, is there a certain dosage that you have to be taking for that to be a bigger risk?
I have read that you can only taper off of Xanax with Xanax, and to boot my doc got the crossover dosage wrong, and I had to call him to let him know about it. From what I have read, roughy 1mg of Xanax= 10mg of Valium. He put me on 5mg of Valium tid, and from the start, I could tell that I didn't feel right. I have been taking 1mg Xanax tid plus .5mg as needed for over two years. Can someone help with how to taper off the correct way? I haven't been able to sleep waking up every hour, however the Valium seems to be working quite well for my anxiety, I am not so groggy/out of it feeling like I was when I was on Xanax. I thinkk that Valium might work better for me now that my doc has the dose right. I still have to take the Xanax a couple times throughout the day or I start to feel not very good. I know that it is because I am not getting any Xanax. Can anyone help? Can I safely take both while weaning off of the Xanax?
HI THERE MY NAME IS CHRISTINA I HAVE BEEN ON 1MG XANAX 4 TIMES A DAY WAS GETTING 120 PILLS A MONTH . I HAVE BEEN ON THEM FOR 11 YEARS NOW .IM 29 YRS OLD I SUFFER FROM ANXIETY ,DEPRESION,PTSD, SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS . AND MANIC, I AM BEING WEINED OFF MY XANAX . THE DR, SAYS ITS NOT HELPING ME I HAVE GAINED TOLERANCE TO IT OVER THE CORSE OF THE YEARS . SO NOW SHE IS WANTING TO SLOWLY GET ME OFF THE XANAX AS OF 11-13-2008 SHE SAID TO TAKE A 1MG KLONOPIN IN THE MORNING  AND THEN WAIT FOR 4 HOURS AND TAKE A XANAX ALLOWING ME UP TO 3 MG PER DAY SO SHE ONLY TOOK 1MG A DAY FROM ME BUT SUBSTITUTED IT WIITH THE KLONIPIN .I GET 30 KLONIPIN A MONTH AND IN STAD OF 120 XANAX I GET ONLY 90 XANAX A MONTH . IM SCARED AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS LIKE .

1. IS DETOX BAD AND WHAT TO EXPECT ? AND HOW LONG WILL THE BAD DETOX EFFECTS TAKE TO GO AWAY ?
2. IS THIS A GOOD WAY OF DETOXING WITH THE  XANAX BEING REPLACED BY THE KLONOPIN ?
3. MY NEXT STEP AFTER THIS 3MG XANAX WILL BE GOING DOWN TO 2 1 MG'S PER DAY WILL THAT BE EVEN HARDER THAN WHAT IM GOING THREW NOW ?
4. DID YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAVE BAD DETOX EFFECTS FROM WEINING ME OFF THE XANAX  THIS WAY TO KLONOPIN ? IF SO WHAT WAS THEY AND HOW LONG DID THEY LAST ?
5. I WAS TOLD THAT THE WORST  DAYS ARE THE FIRST 3 DAYS OF DETOX  BUT IM NOT GOING OFF THEM COLD TURKEY  DOSE THAT MAKE THINGS ANY DIFFERENT?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT IM VERY SCARED AND NEED SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THREW THIS OR KNOWS SOMEONE WHO HAS ..
THANKS ALOT !~~
I have read all the posts on this thread. It was very educational. In some respects I am one of the lucky ones. I have been on xanax since 1991 but have only taken .5mg a day at the most. I am going to try and cut it out completely. I tried once before but the panic attacks came back. I now know  it is the drug creating its own illusion of neediness. I just have to ride out the storm.  I will cut it to .5mg every other day for a couple weeks. I won't get discouraged if I feel the panic and shaky hands returning. I know that this is a journey I must take and it will take up to 2 years to complete. The doc also has me on Trazadone for sleep and Prozac for depression. I am only going to tackle one at a time.  I am going to go to an N.A. group for support. I am 52 year old woman who lives alone.
I have been considering gettin off my xanax but i am so scared, scared of dealing with the anxiety the sweats and feeling as if i can't breath when the attacks happen, but after reading this i am scared most of all of the seizures and whether it will be fatal. I have been taking .25 mg. 1 or 2 x aday for the past 3 1/2 years.  What do i have to look forward to if i try to quit, will i have the seizures, I want someone to tell me the truth, if yes than tell me that will happen, but don't tell me i won't get seizures just to get me off of them and than i have one and die.  Please someone hlp me with this decision.  Like i said I take 1 or 2 pills .25 mg. per day and it has been for 3 1/2 years, alot of times just one pill a day but never have i went a day without one.  I will at least take one when i go to bed, what to do?
I UNDERSTAND YOUR FEARS.I TOOK 3MG A DAY FOR 15 YEARS.YOUR REALLY NOT ON A BIG DOSE BUT IF YOU JUST STOP YOU HAVE THE SAME WITHDRAWS AS ANYONE PERIOD.FIRST THING,FIRE YOUR DOCTOR THAT PUT YOU ON THEM.FIND A DOCTOR THAT WILL BRING YOU OFF THEM SLOWLY,AND I MEAN SLOWLY, IF IT TAKES A YEAR,AS WAS THE CASE WITH ME,WELL SO BE IT.THE ONLY TIME I HAD A MINOR PROBLEM WAS WHEN I WAS BROUGHT DOWN .25 MG EVERY OTHER 3RD WEEK,IT WASNT ANYTHING HORRIBLE,JUST YOUR MIND GETTING USE TO THE FACT ITS COMING OFF THIS ****,BUT THAT PASSED IN 24HOURS(MIND WAS ALITTLE RACE TRACK,LOL,SWEATS,BUT NOTHING TO WERE YOU CANT WILL YOURSELF AWAY FROM.TRUST ME,BY THE TIME YOU GET DOWN TO YOUR LAST DOSE,YOU WILL BE FEELING SO GOOD YOU WONT EVER WANT TO GO BACK ON THIS ****.EXERCISE WILL HELP REALLY WELL TO,SO GOODLUCK AND KEEP ME POSTED.A WARNING TO,DONT EVER RAPID DETOX OFF XANAX,IT SHOCKS YOUR BODY TO QUICK AND YOU CAN RELAPSE VERY QUICKLY.SLOWLY IS THE ANSWER.
Ok well I can relate to  a lot of you people . Unfort. I was not prescribed xanax and was taking up to 10MG a day for a few years off and on. I was worried about quitting cold turkey b.c people told me about the seizures n stuff.. i was worried.  I notice I was mis placing my keys, getting more stressed out ...total memory loss, short and long term. This medicine is awful, yet its a drug that kids and adults abuse. Getting emotional over Nothing! not getting along with friends and family.. I would try to cheat the system and go to a doctor and try to tell them i was having panic attacks and felt "pounding in my chest" and everything possible.. I couldn't work, Failing college.. Then at age 23, this past summer... my parents were in europe at our summer home.. I broke down to them over the phone, I told them I need help.. I am so lucky to have a family that I do , Substance abuse runs in my family.. alcoholism...laziness.(lol) and other drugs..nothing too harsh..but a waste. My dad called our family doc. and told him I was abusing xanax and I needed help getting off. One thing he said is go to rehab, or do it yourself... This is how it was done for me... I am not doctor so This is just my story and how I recoverded fully from Benzo withdrawals....

Lets start with, Your diet... eat good, no more soda / pop ...no more fast foood! no more fried foods... plenty of vegitables...fruits....protein. Next - Vitamins, If you talk to your doctor first and see what vitamins you can take and what you cant take. This is where my mom *( a health freak came into play to help me out)* She started me on Vitamin B-50  once a day.. maybe once in the morning and then later on after food but not too late b.c it will keep you up.  To sleep at night - magnesium and calcium. Make sure you  start taking Vitamin C - Multiple and ginko biloba , maybe start taking Zinc to boost immune system..but not too long.. Drink a lot of tea's whatever your favorite may be. Try sleepy time tea before you go to bed, so u can sleep..

Things to expect while withdrawl :   The *****, sweats, memory loss, (maybe its perm. from my aspect of life so far..which is sad, - there are vitamins to help promote memory gain. Since i grew up in PA - FL and europe my whole life... I learned one thing from the polish / italian people... Take one shot of omega 3- 6 oil flax seed oil iin the morning ( this is for people with consitaption with taking pain pills too ..just so you all wanted to know) Its a long road ahead of you, get exercize DAILY this is a must, you need to sweat out toxins.. I quit cold turkey and never looked back, this is how it worked for me.. like i said.. I took vitamins, i worked out, i ate good food, salads..fruits.. YOU NEED TO TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT THIS, TO COMFORT YOU, most people say this is a suicide drug.. its prolly true! i could never skip out on life..so thatwasnt a factor for me. I am proud of all the poeple coming on here telling their stories and trying to help others.. I am trying to help as many people as possible.. now the OUTCOME of all this... I went back to college.. im at a standing 3.7 GPA in accounting tax specialist course.. on my way to get my C.P.A . Thank for the time if you read this. any questions just reply on here. Peace out my peeps - mark
Hello, I am having a difficult time weaning off Xanax and alcohol.  Also, what makes it worse is that I am on an island in the Pacific.  99% of the doctors don't speak English and pretty much I am on my own with this dilemna.  I initially took 2mg of Xanax for severe panic attacks then learned to love it.  It also cures hangovers.  I want to quit both but I know you can't just go cold turkey without serious dangers.  Anyone have any suggestions about slowly getting off both of these drugs safely without medical help?  Any info would help.  Thanks.
I have been taking xanax .25mg for the past 2mths, and today is my 12th day of quitting. I got in my second car accident this past Feb(09) and it shook me up a bit. The first car accident left one of my friends in a wheelchair and the others broke their necks. As for me I still have a cracked skull and that accident was in 2006. But any who I was feeling tightness in my chest and my head would start feeling tight whenever I tried to drive my car, so I stopped driving all together. This began to occur after my 2nd accident. The doc told me I was just having panic/anxiety attacks and prescribed me Xanax. Every since I stopped taking them I've been feeling nervous,hallucinating,not being sure if i'm in pain or just tripping, lost all interest in sex with my boyfriend, fast heartbeat(which the docs cant tell me whats causing this) and having trouble sleeping. I'm starting to think i'm losing my mind at age 23. I know .25  was a low dose, but I'm one whose doesn't take medicine so I feel that's why this medicine is taking such a major toll on me. HELP!!!!!!
You're not going crazy! I'm on 0.25mg Xanax too and I'm trying to wean off it (Started at 1.5mg/day for about a month, then 1mg for a couple weeks, then 0.5mg for a couple weeks, now 0.25mg).  I was originally on 0.5mg Ativan twice a day for a few weeks due to panic attacks from a reaction to medication fiasco.  I quit cold turkey because like you I'd never taken any meds/drugs before, didn't like how the meds were affecting me, and didn't know about the possibility of quick dependency and withdrawals.  The next several weeks were hell and I had every symptom you have (except hallucinations).  Ativan is in the same family as Xanax (benzodiazepines aka benzos), but about half as strong.

Long story short--my opinion is that your going through withdrawal.  Everything I've read about Xanax withdrawal is to taper down slowly, stabilizing after each reduction before trying the next reduction.  Most docs, counselors and psychs will tell you that your symptoms are from anxiety, and if you control the anxiety your symptoms will disappear.  Many recommend anti-anxiety meds like Xanax as an 'easy' way to help your anxiety; but these meds can make things much worse over the long run.  My 'natural' panic attacks were nothing in intensity/duration compared to the med-induced ones.  I wished I'd never taken any of the meds prescribed.

Once you're off the Xanax for a while and things are under control, you can tackle your driving anxiety with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and non-drug methods like gradual exposure.  It's perfectly understandable that you'd become anxious driving after having a bad accident; but by gradually and comfortably getting back in the saddle you should be able to get back to driving again without having bad anxiety.

Best wishes--hopefully we can both get better soon.

I was taking xanax for a while i did not like the way the drug make me feel but it was helping me a lot...
I always needed my bottle on me for some odd reasons what I did it's put on the calendar a little cross for each xanax free day and set myself goal after a week get myself something nice after 2 weeks do something nice for me... Well it's been 7 months that I' m xanax free I give my doctor my bottle because i do not need it anymore.
Good luck
Rejane
I have suffered from panic/anxiety/agoraphobia for 10 years. I do take prescriptions for it but I wanted to say one of the things that have helped the most is consistently going on a treadmill everyday for at least 10 minutes. You can buy one and set it up in front of your TV, something you would be doing anyway.  It has really taken the edge off my symptoms when I stick with it. Please try it, as someone who has tried all sorts of medicines, I promise  just this simple thing will make a difference. Walmart sells them for under 300 dollars.
I have been on xanax for about 18 months now. For someone with chronic sleep problems it has been a lifesaver. I can't function on no sleep, especially as a teacher so it has helped me in that area. However, last night in bed after not taking xanax for a few nights (I take as needed) I had terrible nightmares which involved dizziness within the dream and also in my awake state once I woke up. Today I feel out of it and do not have any xanax here where I am staying. My dose has been .5 megs as needed. Once in a rare while I will take 2 in a night. Worried about my career if I stop and the long term effects. I also drink socially but never take xanax in the day time. I feel xanax makes me more cohesive and coherent in the classroom but worry about addiction. Thanks for any help.
I have been on alprazolam for about 2 years never knew it was addictive until a year after I started. I was taking up to 4 and sometimes 6 mg per day. When I ran out of my prescriptions I found out doctor had reduced dosage without telling me to 1 mg per day. Thats when I found out I was addicted. I couldnt sleep for a week and promply lost my appetite. I had the shakes and felt miserable. I ended up in the emergency room again begging for some sleep meds. Doctor then explained to me that he was going to taper me down. 1 year later I am down to .25 mg per night for sleep. The kicker is my sex drive seems to have disappered. theis is very important to me. I stopped smoking cigarettes and  taking alprazolam 6 weeks ago and found that melatonin helps me get to sleep.  My anxiety is not  bad and I have started jogging every day of the week between 2 and 4 miles each day. I just want my life back. drug free. I dont seem to be going through withdrawals. How long will it be before I can feel that I am off Alprazolam. How long before I  before my warm human connections return  
I was on xanax for four years.  Sometime during those four years, I crossed the line and started taking more than prescribed.  The xanax use got me to the point of a very bad depression (I could never get out of bed or even get the mail); I volunteered for ECT treatments for the depression and the funny part of that was the doctor never mentioned that xanax was the cause of my depression.  Finally at the end of my four years of use of xanax, I started mixing them with alcohol.  I flatlined (heart stopped) -- medics revived me!  Two days later, I entered a detox/rehab.  They weaned me off the xanax.  It's been five months now and I am suffering alot of Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms.  Panic attacks are frequent, feeling like I'm going insane, sweaty palms and feet etc.  I cannot wait for all these symptoms to go away.  I pray to God every day to help me.  One definite thing:  DO NOT TAKE XANAX  God Bless and Good Luck
XANAX IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!!! SEEK OUT HERBAL DRUGS THAT WILL HELP YOU RELAX AND KEEP YOU AWAY FROM ANXIETY. ALL ANXIETY IS CURABLE BY PROGRAMS AND COUNCILING.. NO DRUGS NEEDED. THERE ARE STORIES OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE WORST ANXIETY WHO TOOK MEDICINE AND IT MADE IT WORSE. MEDICINE MASKS THE REAL PROBLEM. AND COMING DOWN FROM THESE PILLS WILL MAKE YOU MORE ANXIOUS. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANXIETY DONT FALL TO THESE STUPID MEDS THAT HAVE WORSE SIDE EFFECTS THEN THE ANXIETY ITS SELF. STAY POSITIVE AND IT WILL PASS DONT TURN TO DRUGS HANG IN THERE AND LOOK AT PROGRAMS AND TRAIN YOURSELF NOT TO BE ANXIOUS. ANXIETY IS A BEHAVIOR NOT MENTAL. THESE STUPID PILLS SEEM TO BE MUCH WORSE THEN THE ANXIETY ITSSELF. ANXIETY WILL GO AWAY!!! YOU MUST HAVE THE CORRECT MIND SET. DON'T GIVE IN TO STUPID BENZOS IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY!!!
I'm on Xanax 3 years suffereing post traumatic stress and GAD so they put me on Xanax just recently I was on Valium before that and nothing before that my question is this. I find the xanax are actually quiet good but don't last long in my system maybe 2 to 3 hours and when they wear off I have twice as much anxiety. I think I'm not sure but I'm sitting at my desk praying that nobody comes near me. I'm on .25 twice a day but already don't think it's enough and I'm only one them 2 weeks.
My god you flatlines on Xanax? oh hell cause all my anxiety is heart based that has me very scared.
Re: Xanax
Lots of great info. here.  Thanks everyone for sharing.  I didn't find my exact situation above so am posting this for opinions and advice.  I've been taking 0.5 mg of Xanax daily, at night, for three years or so.  I started it as a potential relief for tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears).  Now I want to stop.  I was going to go 0.375 for a week, then 0.25 for a week, then stop cold turkey.  Good idea?  Something better?  What should my expectations be for symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
everyones
brains react differently, depending on mood/(pain)tolerance/ ,
xanax withdrawals are much more easily tolorated than methadone/subutex,ie. the longer u take the meds the longer & harder u will withdrawal.
I had 7800 lipase acute pancreatitis along with 2yr valium & a 6yr vodka a night habit withdrawals, all detoxed in a week, but its taken 6months for me to feel normal again, (if I know what that means anymore) the thing that is working for me is training the mind & body. it works but the only setback is u lose it if u don't use it. same as drugs/meds. perhaps what we are missing is a spiritual approach , something I've never believed in but I'm willing to give it a go, since I'm at the end of my rope. mike  
everyones
The best way to quit Xanax is to reduce the Xanax  by 1/2 a 0.25 mg tablet (0.125 mg) a week right till the end.This was suggested to me by my Psychiatrist.I have reduced my Xanax dose from 1.5 mg to 1.25 mg and it will take me another 10 weeks more.
I don't know what to do.  I have taken as much as 7mg a day now for months.  I am able to tolerate much less when I am on Soma or Darvocet, but none of this is where I want to be anymore.  I suppose since our loss of business and income due to mainly the economy has made me "check out", but believe it or not I'm an over achiever and function at a high level while I'm on these things.  I take it to calm my nerves and "forget" about the upcoming financial burdens approaching.  I'm a good Mom and have a GREAT husband that knows, but isn't involved in this mess.  All my husband sees is the clean house, and things "appear" to be fine.  I never act "strange" it levels me and yet I know I'm a 40 year old that this is taking a toll on.  I see a different person when I look at myself.  I'm too ashamed to go ask for help because I am a RN.  This began after my son was born 7 years ago and I've been a stay at home Mom.  I'M SO AFRAID OF WHAT I'VE DONE TO MY BODY.  The main thing is my son is my world and I'm so afraid that I'm going to miss out on these great years due to the fog this stuff puts me in.  I don't put my son in harms way I SWEAR!!!  I don't drive him or do anything to possibly put him at risk.  I'm actually able to not do it when I'm involved with "Mom" stuff.  I know I sound in denial.  Where do I start?  I love my family and this can't continue.          
Crystal, I'm a mom too. I know you are ashamed about your xanax use but you can kick this and you can recover from what the drug has done to your body so far. As an RN it won't be easy because you think you should have known better and people will look down on you. Screw that, you made a mistake and now you are going to fix it.  I started taking xanax because I hated my job.  I was overwhelmed and too scared to face quitting without some kind of sleep aid. I asked my Dr. for xanax to take for a month, just .25 mg at night to help me sleep.  Well after that month I did it again, and again, until I started to go in withdrawal during the day. I thought I was dying, I thought I had a brain tumor! I spent so much money going to Dr.s because I had quit my job so no health ins.  Last week I realized I was addicted and I quit. I think you really need to just go, see a Dr. you trust and tell them everything.  If they try to tell you to keep taking it, go to a rehab.  Take 30 days and get through this.  Crystal, I'm xanax free now, i was only addicted for about 5 months, but if I could do it, you can do it. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. Keep focused on how you will feel as a mom once you are free from this drug.  
I have been on xanax for over 10 years now about 1 to 2 mg per day.  One day I got curious and asked my psychiatrist, M.D., Ph.D., how long can I be on xanax, and he replied "for the rest of your life".  Shortly after that visit I had to have a Whipple Procedure for my Pancreatic Cancer and 5 year survival rate for the disease is about 30%.  So I think I'll keep on taking it until I die.  It does help me with the existential anxiety that does creep up at middle of the night.
Hi there to everyone that has taken something from all of us bloody xanax!!!!!! To Last401k,my heart goes out to you,and i'd do the same thing,you are so very brave. I to was an addict of xanax,was on it for 6years started taking 1mg 3 times a day ended up taking 20 1mg xanax a day,plus handfulls of codein just to feel normal!!!!!! I was many years ago a user of speed couldn;t get enough,untill my then boyfriend now fiancee,took me away,i got clean and had a precious child..I first started taking xanax as i saw a fatalaty car accident young child,then after 5 years im eating them like smarties..Doc shopping chemist shopping,fought constantly with my partner,tryed to hide it from my 7year old,she new,it was devastating.Lieing to mates.family,work collegues.My life was one huge lie.I had enough id become this desspred ,liar.So stupid me you would think i would have learnt went cold turkey again.i was at work fainted split the back of my head open awoke at the hospital...Then at the age of 32 i thought i need to do something now,incase i don't wake up..The world is full of judgmental barstads,no xanax for you,try meditade..YER RIGHT..Finally the godds sent me the best doc i told the whole truth im taking 20 1mg tabs of xanax and coedine to reach that high.Doc said your lucky to be alive,but lets work together and get you off this drug..I was given .5mg xanax and 150 tabs of 5mg valium.Four the first 3 weeks i was taking 18mg of valium a day.But i kissed that xanax good bye,it was so hard but not that bad as you guys no xanax has a half life so when your out you want more,valium takes a good 40 mins to hit your system xanax straight away.Valium stays in your system up to a day with me it did it was good,it also stopped the codeine withdrawals.I was on valium for it least 7 months long time yer!!!!But now i don't need anything,i always have valium in the draw but dont use it.......Theres hope at the end of this nightmare,never go cold turkey,find a bloody good doc thats going to help,don't lie to them and never ever ever let anyone judge you,this is not your fault,we are all equel human's......I now have the same partner whos now my fiancee,been together four 12 years,and a beautifull girl that nows mummy's mum not a mummy.They love me.My family juged me and we don't speak,but there the one's missing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thankyou if you read this. much appreciated...............NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!! mimxo
I've just now realized the effects of quitting cold turkey from Xanax.  I've been taking 2mg 3x a day for about a year and ran out about a week ago.  For the past few days I've been feeling so awkward with the symptoms that I could not figure out were coming from.  

It doesn't help that I started Testosterone replacement therapy about a week and a half ago.  I was thinking the symptoms were caused by the temporary adjustment of my body to the increased Testosterone levels that I never considered the Xanax at all.

I finally researched Xanax withdrawals and it suddenly hit me that this was the cause.  I took one of my pills (new Rx) and within an hour was feeling much better.  I'm surely glad that I researched this and recognized my symptoms for what they were.

I think I'm in for a difficult process weaning off of the Xanax, but I'll get there and never allow myself to get to this point again.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences as It gives me hope that sometime in the future, however long it takes that I can rid myself of this medication

Thank you so much.

BTW, my screen name was given to me by an ex.  I chose the change in spelling (in case you were wondering)
I've just now realized the effects of quitting cold turkey from Xanax.  I've been taking 2mg 3x a day for about a year and ran out about a week ago.  For the past few days I've been feeling so awkward with the symptoms that I could not figure out were coming from, headaches, nausea, dizziness, disassociation, even strong smells like food would make me nauseous.

Thank you so much.
hi, I have been on xanex for a short time (3 months).  I have a rx for  a small does of .5 mg.  I usualy take it at night to seep. But I have gone 2 or 3 days without taking any. Very recenlty for the past 10 days I  have even needed to take a xanex at work.  I did tha 2 times last week.   I also just started about a week ago on Citalopram for depression and anxiety- 20mg.  I have been on citalopram and also  zolof off and on for the past 10 years.  Could I be having withdrawal symptoms from the xanex from such a short time of taking it?   I wokeup this morning in a cold sweat. not feeling myself like I was out of my body.  My blood pressure can be eratic but I did take itand it was 125/78, so not the issue there. Must be a panic attack.  But am alos concerned if I am beginning to get addicted to the xanex. Any thoughts out there?
On Thursday May 20th I ran out of xanax.  I had been taking 2 mg bars twice a day for about 4 to 5 months.  I started out taking the xanax every now and then, as needed for anxiety...then before I knew it I was taking it it every day, then twice a day.  It just got out of hand.  When I couldn't get anymore, I thought I would be fine.  A week after I ran out and had to quit cold turkey, I started getting the shakes, hot and cold flashes, agitation, it was the worst pain I had ever been through.  I couldn't sleep, I would jump if anyone spoke loudly, I didn't want to leave the house.  I vomited, had diarrhea, I didn't eat for 4 days... it was the most painful thing that I have ever gone through.  I was so worried and I didn't even realize that I was addicted until I didn't have it anymore.  Words can not describe the mental and physical turmoil that I was in for at least a week and a half.  I finally went to the doctor...she put me on Hydroxyzine 3 times a day.  No it didn't help tremendously but it did take the edge off.  The point is that I am past the 3 week mark without xanax... I feel great.  SO MUCH BETTER!!  I have been living in a fog for almost half of a year.  I went on this website while I was in withdrawal thinking that I would find hopeful stories but what I found was the opposite.  I just wanted to put something positive on this board.  If you are on Xanax and you are not addicted, STOP TAKING IT or TRY TO GET OFF WITH THE HELP OF A DOCTOR!  Xanax is POISON!  If I could go back, I would've never taken the stuff.  Trust me, you think that you need it but eventually you stop caring about the things that are MOST important to you and before you know it you're addicted to the stuff.  GET OFF OF IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!  You will be so happy you did.  YOU CAN DO IT!!  
My gastroenterologist prescribed xanax for me about 2 years ago to help calm my anxiety with abdominal pressure.  The xanax worked great.  I never had tried going off of it because it seemed to work on helping me to relax and my abdominal muscles became relaxed.  About 4 months ago or so I started with mega-hangovers and ear ringing.  I had started seeing a therapist this year and when I told her about the hangovers I also told her about the Xanax.  That's when she told me it was an addictive drug.  I know I am lucky to only have taken 1 mg for a couple of years compared to some people.  I am in the process of weaning myself off.  I did 3/4 mg for a week, then 1/2 for a week and tonight will be my 2nd night on 1/4 mg.  I am a recovering alcoholic of 20 years and I know I would not have taken this "crap" if I knew of the addictive qualities.  I'm hoping by this time next week I will start to feel a bit better.  One day at a time.    
I have been on xanax for 14 years. I now have found out that xanax can  be deadly. I want to live without having to worry about where i put my pills or do i have tham on me. I wish i would have known what i know now before they precribed them to me ,but i was suffering so bad with anxiety in my early 20s that i wonder what would be better the felling i had before xanax or the fellings i have now. I have never abused xanax and have always seen a phycologist and they have mentioned me tappering off, but they are fearful what might happen. It was explained to me that i have a desease and it is called severe anxiety. Or panic disorder. Just like a diabetic needs his incilin a person with aneity needs what helps them, in my case it ia xanax. I have lived healthy and happy. So if you need it take it. I have no heath problems .
Go to a doctor throw away ALL zanax!!!! Ask for a spin down on klonopin take EXACTLY like prescribed. Over in one week.Then NEVER allow another benzo into yer blood stream.I pray 4 u all.I have been clean off that stuff 4 a while now and my brain still wants them sometimes,I learned the pleasure centers of your brain will actually give u a panic attack in hopes u will reward it with more benzodiazapine.This may happen ten years later.The brain also gives opiate users pain that does not exist.It is the most complex thing on earth scientists still do not understand it.It is your friend and possibly your worst enemy.I believe in the native American story of 2 wolves fighting in the brain good and evil. The one you feed will be the winner.
May i suggest people with anxiety and depression go for hypnotherapy. At least ten or more sessions while pregnant! It has helped me a lot and i have been able to have a drug free pregnancy. It is not a cure but it has made me see life in a different way. Don't be conned into thinking it will take 1 or 2 sessions. Like any therapy it takes time. Insist on going for lots of sessions even if the hypnotherapist thinks you are 'cured' after one or two sessions. In the past I have emailed the therapist before a session explaining ALL(bad and good) of my problems from birth right up until present day. This allows the therapist to understand you as a whole and where you need the help.Try not to hold back even if your past is embarrassing or you think (or have) done something wrong
I have started taking lexapro and ambien to help me sleep. I have had extreme anxiety and I have xanax but I want to wean myself from xanax. I was taking .05mg before I go to sleep. I think its the lexapro causing the anxiety, I just started taking it but I'm only taking 2.5mg of lexapro for about two weeks and I went up to 5mg and thats when I got hit by extreme anxiety. At the same time I am try to cut down on the xanax. Is there a proper way of cutting back on the xanax without the without the withdrawals? Thanks for your help
This is my second run in with this horrible drug.  The first time was only taking .25 mg 2 times a day.  Was on it for around a year untill my doctor would not give me any more?  Told me to see a shrink, and really wasn't up for that.  Withdraws were hell think they lasted around a week or so.  But also drinking heavily at the time.  Didn't take them for like 4 years or so and here i am now.  Taking 3 .5 mil a day and down to my last one and think about quitting again cold turkey.  I now what i'm in for and this is probably not the best way, but fear that if i go to the doctor to get a new script that i'll just keep abusing them and end up in the same place.  Feel for all who take it, have lost all sexually drive and most of the day wondering were my pills are no more!  Whis me luck
I started taking Xanax in December due to severe insomnia.  My doctor tried Ambien at first but after only a few doses I was suicidally depressed.  I finally convinced my doctor to prescribe something that wasn't addicting.  That's when he prescribed Xanax.  He assured me that the chances of addiction were very low.  I started with a .5 mg dose which worked well for several weeks.  I only needed it 1 or two nights a week.  It's now March and I'm up to a .20 mg dose and it's not putting me to sleep at all.  So much for not being addicting.  I know that I need to break the cycle.  It's going to be tough because I'm still having a terrible time sleeping.  I've been on therapy for the last two months but that's not proving to be too helpful.  I'm told that I don't sleep because I don't want to sleep.  WHAT?  Seriously, I love the torture of not sleeping.  Why would anyone choose this?  Today I'm seeing a sleep doctor.  I hope he can offer me some hope.  Say a little prayer for me!  Sleepless in New Mexico.
I am going to be starting my xanax wean down this friday, wish me luck.  this is my third run in with the drug, but  my worst experience on it.  the other two times i did not take it long enough to have any withdrawls when i quit cold turkey.  but this time i have been on it for 6 months and although im only on 0.5 mgs a day i am needing it every day or i feel really sick and over anxious and my nerves get real tight.   my headaches increase too.  the nurse told me on the phone when i called to tell them about this that this is so true and she also had the same symptoms on xanax and had to wean off each time she got these symptoms.  they are tough.  i needed it for anxiety to help me sleep.  i lost a child four yrs ago and that is what started all this.
I like a fool got addicted to xanax again.Let me just tell all of you what kind of drug your really deally with! In 2009 I went to rehab to get off heroin for the last time and i've been clean for over a year I also was addicted to xanax which I thoought there was no such thing,I thought I knew everything about drugs.So lets get to the point the rehab gave me adavant for a few days for the heroin withdraws I was in a 3 month treatment center I was out of the detox ward and in the residental side.I had been off xanax 2 weeks all day I dident feel good I could not see 4 feet in front of me my pupils were all black no color in my eyes by the end of the day I had a GRAND MAL SEZURE!!!!!! This drug is no joke and it took me 6 months of hell (withdraws) I would take the heroin withdraws over xanax ones and let me tell you heroin withdraw is nomjoke so if you get my point xanax is wicked! Now like a fool my dog died and I started to take xanax again im up to 8, 1 milligram pills a day more if i can afford it.Now I'm terrified on how im going to wean down and not have another sezure I guess Im going to cut down slowly ive researched and thats what they all suggest So what Im trying to say to everyone stay away from these pills if you know anything about them they were only made for 2 week consumption if anyone has any suggustions (nurse,doctor) or an old pro like myself im up for any suggestions thanks Stephanie By the way Im only 30 and finally got clean but the xanax pulled me back in and heroin addicts only 1 percent stay clean im the one percent but the dammm xanax couldent stay away the worst one the one that can kill me during withdraws plus the sheer torture wish me luck or say a prayer for me thanks again for listening------Stephanie
  You know what all you people are a bunch of pansies Xanax is no where near as severe to withdraw from as narcotics The problem is that you sissies can't deal with a little anxiety. If you want to know what painful withdrawal is try getting off Methadone. Try climbing the walls for 30 days with no sleep and not feeling right in your head for 3 or 4 months and coughing it out for 6 to 8 months. You do this to yourselves.
And I take it u didn't do that to urself. Just because u have had a bad time don't say people withdrawing from xanax are not suffering and who r u to determine their level of discomfort, every person is different.  Your level of compassion is just breath taking, I bet every person in this forum past and present are extremely grateful you r not their brother, father, son, husband.  Compassion and empathy costs nothing in this life and is what makes u human. Maybe being on drugs has blinkered ur humanity.  
This is a popular thread, so I thought I'd put the entries from another thread here to help people out there who feel overwhelmed. I have been off of xanax for a little over a year, and I feel so much better. I believe the xanax was worsening my anxiety symptoms over time from tolerance and then withdrawal. It does get better. Below are posts from over a year ago about my experience. I wish there were more personal experiences on the web, so people would know what it's like. Before reading, my advice is to have a doctor monitor you throughout the process, be honest with yourself, and keep a daily journal to track successes and set-backs. Reward yourself for each day you get through and remind yourself you are going to feel much better in a few months (or even sooner depending on how slow you want to taper off the medication).  Also, do not read entries from people who tell are saying that xanax is not addictive. It's an absurd statement. Xanax is a highly addictive medication due to the short half-life, quick entry into the bloodstream, and the potency of the drug. The withdrawal can make you feel crazy, but knowing this ahead of time, you can prepare yourself and get through it. Good luck.

12/11/09
I am having a lot of anxiety about coming off my xanax xr, but it does not seem to be working anymore... I want to be completely off medications, because I'm receiving LENS neurofeedback as well as Jungian therapy, and my stress levels are low (part-time job, no significant life changes right now). Maybe in the future, if needed, I'm thinking Valium would be safer. I've been on forms of anti-anxiety medications since fourteen years old, and I wonder if it has contributed to the GAD (tight throat, racing thoughts, heart palpitations, tremor). However, I also have a history of trauma, and am hoping to resolve that with therapy. What is the best way for me to come off of the 1mg BID xanax xr (1mg in am and 1mg at 3:30pm) I've been taking for 3 months now. Prior I had been on Klonopin .5mg TID for about three years. I have already discontinued the xanax immed. release .5 mg to sleep at night (but I took it as intermittently as possible) and I've been taking benadryl 50mg (I wake up a little depressed though) to sleep which helps me a little. I just want to feel healthy, but I'm terrified of the withdrawal; I've been through other withdrawals in the past (effexor was the worst). How can I do this in a way that is safest, and what can I expect so I don't run to my regular xanax when having withdrawal? Any advice would be super appreciated. I have been given .5 mg xanax xr (90 pills) and have1mg xanax xr (34 pills) left from my previous prescription to taper at "my discretion" by my pdoc. My pdoc does not seem concerned about withdrawal, and because of the way I was switched from klonopin (.5 tid) to xanax xr (at first just 1mg q day stopping klonopin right away), I question his understanding of benzos (it was very rough). Also, since I've been on it for three months, how long should I expect to feel withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation and while titrating down. Thank you.

12/12/09 I actually started taking a .5mg this am and I've have definitely already begun to feel uncomfortable (everything seems to overstimulate me, and I had to run out of a store this afternoon). Lights and noise are aggravating, and it's weird, because I've always already been a little sensitive to lights and noise ( I get nauseated usually). It feels a little foggy and only day one. I'm trying not to catastrophize though. I will keep looking for the doc and look into the forum's you suggested. Thank you for the support. Thanks for the suggestion cornyguy, too. I think if it gets bad enough I might ask my doctor to take me the route of valium to get off. I read an article from the UK where that's what they use consistently because of the super-long half-life. I'll keep updated. I hope to be able to give people a straight answer on how long the worst of the withdrawal lasts. I know it starts to get bad around day three, but from there I haven't been able to find anything. Peace.

12/16/09 Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind if I start to have any stronger reactions to the withdrawel, especially when I drop the one I take in the afternoon. I'm a little anxious about that one, because night is not a good time for me. Last night I tried to sleep without taking the two benadryl, and before I knew it I had been lying awake for two hours in a half-sleep state. Very uncomfortable and weird. My mind was just going going going. So I took the benadryl, and that never fails to make me pass out, because I'm uber-sensitive to medications. I appreciate the feedback.

4/27/11 Just an update. I did make it through my tapering schedule and have been doing great. I used a notepad to track daily withdrawal symptoms and would put a little smiley face each day of the week I made it through. I took my time and tapered over three months (I believe). I tracked everyday. It was worth it. :) For anxiety, I do not need anything during the day anymore. I only take an ativan to help me sleep at night. My anxiety worsens then, naturally, and is aggravated by chronic pain I am currently trying to get help for. So, for anybody going through what I did, keep it up. You will get through it.

Today's Post: For information purposes, I took 1mg Xanax XR in the am and again in the pm. My schedule for Xanax XR Tapering: Month 1: .5mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Month 2: I dropped to 0mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Month 3: I dropped to 0mg in the am and .5mg in the pm. The next drop was the most difficult. I started to take the .5mg every other day. I did this for three weeks (I waited until the I felt normalish) The next step was .5 mg every three days. I did this for two weeks. Then, I just stopped. FYI: I had 0.5 mg pills I was using during this tapering schedule. You cannot cut xanax xr in half. You can cut regular xanax in half and taper more slowly.

I took a long time to come off, but I did it this way so there was less of a chance that I'd feel like I couldn't do it and have a set-back. It also allowed me to keep working. On the three days following any drop in dosage, I'd have the worst withdrawal symptoms. I'd get through those three days, and slowly things became more tolerable. I used benadryl (2 of them) at night to help me sleep. I took long, hot baths. I napped. I avoided driving, because the car made me sick. Basically, I did a lot of self-pampering when I could while still having to go to work. It was hard, but it is less hard when you realize you can do it, that other people have done it (even someone like me who had Panic Disorder and PTSD) and it will be okay in the end. Good luck, and feel free to message me if you need support.
How are you doing? I saw your post and I am in the same boat how did you get off the Xanax?

blueraccoon
New to form, I've been on Xanax for about 7years, I started because I had very mild anxiety, and I havent really figured out till, recently maybe because of withdrawing from people, and things like my dad dying,tramatized me, that is when I started using them, I was a Lively person before alot of things happened in my life, then i started being fear of people,leaving house,scared of talking to people and etc..well, I think one part to recovery is to firgure out why you started taking them to begin with? but I didn't figure out why till now. I didn't go to a doc. at first, it was actually a so called friend that enouraged me to take one of hers,BIGGEST mistake I made, I'm sure I would have got over my anxeity with time..Well, I started numbing my self from the death of my dad, and also the fear of dying like he did.plus other things..started getting my meds from her,then through doc. then they cut my off, then went to a phsycotrist. The tried to give me other meds, every to weeks, but nothing worked, i think i was just addicted to them already. so finally they ok'd it. now that I have become closer to God, I dont want to keep taking this med. I also was a smoker for 14yrs, never was able to quite, till of course,God :) and a lovely thing called Nicoderm cq..Now I thought smoking was the hardest thing to quite. boy,I was wrong, I also, was scared because I stopped having my period for 1 yr and 1/2 due to xanax! I was at first taking 2mg-3mg a day, last few years I have reduced,to 1.5mg a day,sometimes .5/day to none for a day or two,then i feel the withdraws and i take the meds and mg my body needs. It is a Long, process, I dont take other meds to relieve the withdraw. God, is my doctor, in helping me quite. I think that by the time Im done off completly, it will be half the time I used it for the 7yrs,so probably 3-3.5years to correctly wean off. without putting myself through terrible withdraw periods, and the after period of 6month-1year to fully feel recovered from the time of completly weaning off.xanax.
I Have Been On 2mg twice a day for a year and a half and as all of you know that really means that is what is said on the bottle, it was more like 4-5 a day on weekends and you deal with your decision is a bad way during the week, this has been a battle and finally i was able to get up the strength to tell my real doc not the one i go to for these what i had been doing and ask for his help to stop, he knew i took them but nothing like i was really taking, i am 27 and have a 1 year old daughter and wife and this drug has taken over my life, my memory is shot, i cant sleep at night, i always feel uneasy and know that this is not the person i am and had to do something to change it.  I told my doctor exactly how much i was on and what i was taking and how long and told him that i was scared to get off this because my best friend actually had a grand mal seizure a few month ago because he went wild one weekend and took 8 a day for 3 days and ran out.  So my doctor gave me a very strict instructions to get off them and a map of how t taper off, and gave me a prescription for the .5 and so far so good, the first couple days was rough and i woke up at 4 am and had to take a .5 because i felt like i was on speed or something when i suddenly woke up drenched in sweat, its 1 day at a time and i work for a law firm and deal with angry people and a lot of stress every day and that makes this worse. I am taking this day by day and the one thing i will tell anyone who reads this is to get off of this now and dont start if you are thinking of it, i was put on it for anxiety disorder but it has caused my anxiety to jump to levels i have never thought were even possible i feel like i have cheated my daughter out of her father for the 1st year of her life, although i have always been their i feel like it was a shell of me and i have hard times remembering the details. i beg you if you have gotten sucked in like i was to get the help and get out, dont loose your sanity for a relaxing feeling or some anxiety, it can be dealt with in better ways than a pill that changes the way your brain should work and you need those feelings to separate xanax world and reality.
Hi, I am in the process of watching my boyfriend detox off xanax.  I have seen him take anywhere from 4mg a day to literally over 30.  I know that sounds extreme because, well, it is.. however, he hasn't had any in the past four ays and his side effects are extreme.  I cant sleep in worry that he will sudden;y stop breathing or have a seizure.  Is there anything I can do to help to make this process easier?  I have read many articles and ALL of them say to not quit abruptly but he has no other option as he has no more and cannot get his script filled.  Most times he goes to the street to acquire some but appears those have run dry as well.  I am very scared.  Please help....any advice?
Hi Lizzy,
I am not in the medical profession, but from personal experience I can say that the kindest thing for your boyfriend is medically supervised detox. There are places for people with and without insurance. If he has taken up to 4-30mg/day, this is very dangerous. Yes, he can have a seizure from stopping abruptly according to the information you read on Xanax withdrawal online. Also, I had a good friend who was taking xanax like this who experienced seizures.

One resource is to dial 2-1-1 on your phone. That is for United Way Referral. They can give you places to start. The trick here is whether or not your boyfriend wants the help in coming off of the xanax. He really needs to be under doctor supervision. Not only is it safer, but they may be able to make him more comfortable with medications to help with the withdrawal.

I am sorry you are having to watch someone you care about go through this. The only thing you can do for him is help him get into detox and then treatment for the addiction and to be a support for him. However, I do not know your individual situation. Dealing with something like this is hard, and as someone who went through a similar situation, I know that in the past I went to a good therapist that helped me get through the emotional trauma I was experiencing from watching a loved one go through this. It is just something to consider.

Remember to take care of yourself. Feel free to message me if you have trouble finding resources in your area, and I can try to help to look for some.
Hi I just read this and found it very interesting.  I have been struggling with sleep for about 6-7 months now.  Tried  a few antidepressants but couldn't take the side effects. Now I'm on Seroquel, 50 mg.  It seems to be working although I am still having to take some zopliclone to get to sleep.  I figure I'll be able to go without the zopiclone soon.  When I read your message I said to myself, this is a way for me to get off Seroquel, and for something to use in the future.  Your combination of Motrin PM, GABA, Valerian, and Natural Clam make great sense to me and I hope I can try it out soon.  Can you substitute Motrin PM for Tylenol PM or Advil PM?  And what kind of OTC sleep aid did you add to this combination?
I was prescribed Xanax 1 month ago. I have a history of anxiety/panic attacks. I went on Lexapro the first week, then 4 days into that I woke up in the middle of the night feeling horrible. I started back on Zoloft which I came off of 7months ago because I felt fine. Now that I've been taking it again I have more difficulty sleeping. I sleep better if I skip the Zoloft however then my symptoms of anxiety will return & I wake up almost every hour of the night. I started taking Tylenol PM to help me fall asleep even though this is not recommended, a co-worker had the same problem & that's how she got adjusted to the Zoloft. Without the sleep-aid I would take 2 0.5mg tablets if I woke up between 2/3 am. My goal is to wean off the Xanax even if I lose sleep over it. The last 2 nights I've only taken a 0.5mg. The longest I've been able to go without the Xanax was 3 days but felt like crap. Friday I skipped all my meds, Sat. I took the Tylenol PM, but Sunday I was very depressed & cried that night. I took the Tylenol PM at bedtime again (I suffer from chronic back pain too) & woke up-not that I slept that well-but at 3:00am took a .5mg Xanax. I'm nervous now because I'm almost out of the Xanax, however I want to come off of it slowly since I had difficulty with it already. I am looking to seek therapy as I just found out that my Prilosec OTC that I take in the am can interact with the Xanax by increasing the blood levels, therefore making the side effects worse! I wish my dr. looked at my meds list before she prescribed it to me.
How are you doing these days?  How much Xanax did you take per day for a month?  I doubt you were hooked on Xanax in just one month?  It was probably the start up effects of the antidepressants.
Hey guys, I have been on xanax for 20 years 3 x 1 mg a day and November started to come down , I am currently on 0.25 mg it hasnt been bad at alll, headaches, few nights that I had trouble sleeping and nervous energy moving through me, what has helped me getting rid of " the story " attached to it through the Sedona method I have been able to shift and let go of a lot of stuck emotions , trauma beliefs, fear of dying etc that were underlying it in the first place- for me at least- for the rest , take it easy on myself, sleep when I need to take rest, drink lots of water, go out in nature and breathing properly :) through my belly. Can not wait to be free completely probably in a month or so whoop hoop ! xx
I have been on Xanax for 25 years, .5 one in the morning and two .5 at bedtime. I was just told by my VA Doctor 8/4/2016 that I would be taken off due to Dementia issues.  I am going to be 65 in December.  I am scared as hell. I started two nights ago dropping one .5mg pill at night. Now one in the morning and one at night both .5mg, until the next time the doc says to lower the dose.  When I was put on it, I was told it was safe. I have had the same doctor at the VA for the last 15 years, and he was the second doctor to tell me Xanax was a great medicine.  Now all of a sudden it is getting bad reviews.  Just pray that I can get off this addicting drug.