Anxiety Community
Weaning off of Xanex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Weaning off of Xanex

I have been taking .25mg of Xanex for about 2 months in the morning. I started to wean myself off because my Zoloft is starting to kick in on Friday of last week. I changed my dosage to 1/2 of a pill. I've had some withdrawal and was wondering if anyone else has had this and how long the withdrawal lasted? Also I have a big fear about the seizure thing when stopping Xanex, is there a certain dosage that you have to be taking for that to be a bigger risk?
The dose of xanex was about as little of a dose you could be on. the whole seizure thing would only happen with much higher doses and also you said you were only on it for 2 months right? well 2 months is nothing and you should only have very minor withdrawals and they should subside quickly. I have a friend who was taking the 2.5mg pills 4x a day for 5 years believe it or not. He was forced to quit cold turkey and he said the withdrawals sucked but no seizures or anything that put him in any risk medically. If you had been on a higher dose for a longer period of time the doc would possibly give you something to help but what you are doing by weaning yourself down with the dosage is best thing you can do at this point. You can even start taking one every other day then every third day etc. till you feel you are good with just the zoloft. Good luck!!
Thanks a lot I feel better already!
I have been on three bars of xanex for the past nine years.  The doctor started me on it because of IBS.  I could kill her for that now.  Why xanex?  Something that has become one of my worst nightmares.  If that is all you have been on , and only for 2 months I will tell you to PLEASE stop now.  I also broke my jaw in 2004 and see a pain management Doctor.  I am now dependent on Hydro, Oxycondone, flexiral, plus the xanex.  I have more physical issues now than before all these medications for IBS and screws in my jaws.  Now I have kidney problems BECAUSE of these medications for the tmj .  Now i am physically dependent on these pain meds.  But I will tell you like my pain doctor , the xanex is the devil out of them all to come off IF you have been on it for a year or longer and is very dangerous to come off of. So Please don,t get started on it and find something that is non habit forming.  I have a battle to face myself , take care .
this is absolutely freaky!!!

Ryan... this seems consistent with other info i have read about withdrawing from xanex. I have been doing it on my own. Suffering muscle aches, anxiety...skin crawling symptoms. I was on 1 mg - 3 or 4 times daily. I was put on it for panic as well. But, found myself "needing" to take it to keep that anxiety from creeping up. When I got up to the full dosage... i realized I was becoming dependant. My panic symptoms had abated after a thyroid surgery. I was mistakenly associating the feelings of anxiety (different from panic) with the surgery.

I have cut back by 1/2 or more over the last week in increments ever 3-4 days. I have had some insomnia and discomfort... but really don't want to add klonipin (klonopin). I'm down to under 1 mg. per day at this point... can i make it?  

Hanging tough - Kim
actually lets address that to your username...

Ryan... your opinion...

You don't add Klonopin; you replace the Xanax with Klonopin.  Since it's a longer-acting benzo it is a little easier to taper from than Xanax.  

If you cut your dose by 1/2 in a single week you're tapering way too quickly, I'd think.  Why aren't you consulting with your physician about this?  You can definitely make it through this, but you have to do it right and have some patience.  

Best of Luck,
Not Ryan
I was prescribed xanax many months ago by a w.c. doc to help me relax and go to sleep for a few hours before I started to have pain from my back and neck. I do suffer from anxiety when I go to the docs. Alwyas have for years and I explained this to them. They said this would help me get a few good hours of sleep.I take .25 at bedtime. In the beginning I did not take it every night but found I slept so much better when I did that I faithfully took it every night. Then I started to read about everything here, well I decided I did not want to be dependant on this drug that is why I did not let then prescibe me the heavy duty pain meds for fear of dependancy. I started to cut my dose in half at bedtime for a few days and I had some trouble sleeping but I made it through that. Then I stopped all together the other night. I went through quite a few nights of hell.I had to take a little piece 2 times in the morning so I could get some sleep. It was horrible the way the legs and feet and skin felt. I am so upset that a doc will just give you these things without properly telling you what will happen if you take them for too long. Last night was a little better because I do have 2 mg. valium here that I was able to take to help. I took this several nights and did not feel it at all I guess because my body needed the xanax.I am hopng that I am over the worst part now because i noticed that I can actually lay down now longer and get a little comfortable without feeling really creepy. My question now is can I still take xanax on occasion if needed because it really does work well when taken on a as needed basis or should i just avoid this all together and go with the valium seems how this how more of a muscle relaxer effect anyway. Will i go through the same thing with the valium too if I do not take it. Any answer will be helpful.
Chadry
my mother in law is a full blown xanex addict, went from a normal usaully happy person, to a complete off the wall manic.. pray for my family.god bless you all
i stopped takin xanax today..how long till it gets out of my system,,.?
i was addicted to xanax for 8 years. i was taking 4 bars (2mg) a day at least.  I have been clean off of them for 4 years now.  for those of you who are wondering about the withdrawal systoms, i'm not here to scare you or to discourage you but It Is TOUGH!!!!!!!!  I tried weening myself down, but as soon as something would go wrong i would pop some more and be off track. i HAD to go to a detox unit in Kerrville Texas The Kerren Home.  I spent 2 LONG weeks in that center I meet soooooo many great people after i returned home I actually missed them. OKAY to get to the point if you have tried and failed please take 2 small wks. out of your life and go to this detox unit or any for that matter.  I was so scared to have sezuries, but by the grace of God I did not. there was alot of puking and to be honest I could'nt pick and or hold my head up for about 3 days.  These BAD detox symtoms (symptoms) only lasted about a week though.  they do give you a anti sezuire med. for me it was called Tegretol. It did make me sick the 1st time I took it but I stuck with it & like I said a week later I was out in the back yard throwing horseshoes (feeling normal) with absoulty NO dependence.  I was the BEST feeling in the world to me.  I felt like if I could conquer this I could do anything.  now I took my dream to the next level and  I am now in college working on my 4yr. degree. It's not impossible but the longer you take to taper off the drug the longer the withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms) are going to last, take a step further and JUST DO IT !!!!!  You have to get to a point were you are sick of it and if you r then If I can do it TRUST ME you CAN do IT.  If i can help anyone please let me know because I have been there done that ----Your Friend --Lizzy
I ALSO WANTED YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO STOP XANAX COLD TURKEY-- BUT I'M SURE MOST OF YALL KNOW THAT.  PLEASE DON'T ECSPECIALLLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR A WHILE ( 6 MTHS OR MORE)  DON'T PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THIS, THERE IS EXCELLENT HELP OUT THERE THAT WILL MEDICALY DETOX YOU THEY SAY IT IS A COMFORATABLE DETOX BUT COME ON IT'S NOT , BUT IF I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD THE MEDS. THEY GAVE ME I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE WENT BONKERS AND THEN RELAPSED. LOOK IN YOUR LOCAL PHONE BOOK UNDER DRUG DETOX AND REHAD SERVICES TO GET INFO. DO NOT GO INTO A 30 DAY PROGRAM UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN DETOXED. THE PLACE I WENT THE STEPS WERE 2 WKS. DETOX TIME THEN IF I WANTED TO GO TO OUTPATIENT THERAPY OR INPATIENT TREATMENT CENTER. ALL I KNEW WAS I DID NOT NEED THAT EXTRA **** IF I COULD JUST GET THIS STUFF OUT OF MY SYSTEM AND FEEL "NORMAL AGAIN" I WAS GOING TO BE OKAY. ITS ALL UP TO YOU AND ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED---GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS--  :)
I have been taking 1 to 1.5 mg of Xanax every single night for months and months and months (well over a year)...I was at one time drinking taking Xanax and Lunesta at night because after drinking all night I couldn't get to sleep. I can believe I didn't kill myself.  I have fallen alsleep standing straight up, I'm ashamed to say.

I quit Booze first, then Lunesta, then Xanax most recently. My last 1 mg pill was Wednesday of last week.  I felt crazy Friday, went to the health food store and got some GABA after researching that amino acid affects the same receptors of the brain as Xanax.  I took a Motrin PM Valerian and GABA to get to sleep Friday night and I slept pretty decent considering, then I found my Natural CALM which is a Magnesium Supplement and took it along with the other things and sleept realy good Saturday night. Last night I took an OTC sleep aide and my Valarian, CALM, GABA combo. I slept like a log! Couldn't believe it was time to get up so fast.  I won't take the OTC sleep aid off if I can fall off to sleep by 11:00 pm.  I'll find something boring to read (I need to be reading the AA Big Book because of my past habits!!)  

I feel very fortunate to not have the problems that I read about here today.  I did feel really funky Saturday though, I was depressed, and just wanted to crawl into a whole!  But I was fine for the most part Sunday.  Weird!  I should have had more reaction because I took those things every day!  I am still a little "thick& droopy" feeling but I don't know if that is because of the OTC sleep aide, they tend to give my "hangovers'
I just want to say that I am so grateful to be substance free today. I am so grateful to be able to ring in 2008 sober, and I am going to keep this site in my favorite places so that if I ever get tempted to go backwards, I can come here and read again what could happen to me next time.  I dogged the bullet this time, if there is a next time I know I won't be so lucky.
That's good advice!! I didn't go that route, I took a chance and did it on my own, but I would not recommend it. I could not take off work and leave my child so I HAD to make it happen. I guess the reason why I didn't have more negative affects is that I only took my dose in the evening before bed time, I started off with .25 and made it up to 1.5 per day but I never took it durng the day.

I'm not sure why the hammer wasn't dropped on me. I used ever single night.  I am going to be so proud, next time I go to the Rx and don't get that perscription filled. I'm free of substances now.  

My sleep is still messed up. I had to take another one of those OTC's to get to sleep, they suck. I am going to the gym and I am going to have to find other ways to get to sleep. Therapist told me that they have non addicting meds to help with sleep. I need to know about them until I get my self regulated.
Right now im trying to ween myself of xanax i have been taking 0.5 twice a day for 3 months do you think it will be a hard process for me. I hope i don't have seizures yikes!
I was a Xanax addict over a year with a dosage of 12 to14 mg per every day. That´s a hell of a load and it worked like pure amphetamine. I was so high all the time that I exhausted myself and my nerve system totally. And if I didn´t get it regularly I turned into psycho. I was in a total trap and one day doc said that I´m going to die quite soon. If I don´t get rid off them. But I was also in love with Xanax because it made me a rock star-superhero 24 hours a day. Thanks to that special doc she said that she will take me in to a hospital and she will give me Xanax every day but drop the dosage smoothly. She even let me decide what medication I need for the cold turkey, massive anxiety and sleeplesness. She was so kind that I motivated at the very beginning. I lived like in jailhouse weeks and weeks but gradually I started to feel like a human being again. When I was totally clean came the saddest surprise. I even had to learn to walk again. I had terrible pains and spasms for years. etc. My whole nervous system was so kaputt after the passionate chemical romance with Xanax. And the most ridiculous thing is that my silly mind still sometimes miss that poison.... just one my mind says. That´s eventually the most awful thing.  
I have been taking Xanax for about 7 years. Taking .5mg every night to help with sleep and anxiety/panic issues. About two months ago I decided to quit cold turkey not knowing anything about withdrawal. Things seemed shaky and then I started getting lightheaded, dizzy and vertigo spells. I started to read about the difficulty in getting off these and put myself right back on them. I went to my doc which offered no help and wrote me another prescription for the same thing. I still am having dizzy spells, nausea, vertigo and feeling lightheaded. My doc told me to get an MRI of the brain.  Be very cautious and get the correct help! Still struggling....
Xanax is not even approved in the U. S. for long term use, only 8 months here, and 4 months in the U.K. There are obviously a lot of uniformed doctors out there. Wean off it carefully and with medical supervision. Don't forget to add pschotherapy. The best, IMHO, is a 12 step program: costs NOTHING,  will work (if you work it)  wonders to get you off this and other stuff like it, permanently. Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous programs, when WORKED according to the suggestions, will change your life, help you to be self-supporting, give you a freedom and security you may have never known. Go to 90 meetings in 90 days, get a sponsor right away and work the steps. Your life is waiting for you!  
SOME OF YOU ARE SPELLING IT...XANAX..OTHERS XANEX...WHICH IS IT...I THINK THAT XANAX IS A SLEEPING PILL...COULD SOMEONE ANSWERE THE QUESTION.PLEASE.TY
The correct spelling is "XANAX."
And here's me about to try and come the xanax. 1mg three times a day. It is like you know when your tablet time is closing in and you want that fix of xanax. I have been on them for close on 10 years. Yes, I blame the doctor. As patients we are trusting the doctors. What would we know about medication? Thus they are the ones who are not doing their jobs correctly if they continue to give us the xanax long term. They are just creating a lot of xanax junkies. I am meant to be going onto Inderella. Not even sure if I can take xanax and Inderella together. Why? Because the chemist and the doctor had two different opinions on the matter. The doctor said yes. The chemist said he thought it would be too much for the system. As if the nerves aren't bad enough. if I was weaning down on the xanax I would like to begin .75. Just short of a full whole 1mg tablet for a week or two. Then down to .5 tablets for a while. Which I doubt would have little or no effect in the system at all. Guess the real hope would be that the Inderella would keep me relaxed / as relaxed as I might need to be when coming off those other junkie xanax tablets. Good luck to everybody who is trying.
please do not assume that everybody that reads your letters knows as much as you. I DID NOT AND I COULD HAVE KILLED MY SON!!!!!  Thank God I stumble across this page and realized that my son was right and I was wronge. Folks, I begged my son to give me his prescription and to promise me he would never take a single nother one again. And my 25 year old son of a man whom I have not seen cry in several years, cried and told me he could not do that and gently said "mom, I cannot do that. It could kill me." Of course I thought it was the drug protecting it's existance in his life so I told him that I was going to have him locked up and on and on for four days this ignorance of mine persisted until I read this page and further researched my sons claim. Thank you!! Thank you!!! Don't ever think you don't have an impact. My son and I are working together now and he's going to be ok. Thank you!
I do wish all of you success in getting where you want to be and I can only hope that you all have a supportive family to back you when you need it. I am not on anything so my insight of this xanax thing is so limited. Knowing more facts has  changed everything between my son and I now. I am so glad that the internet exists. I wanted to suggest that if someone here was have a challenge with getting your loved ones to understand your struggle that maybe bringing them to this website or printing off some facts to edjucate them would help. Maybe. I truelly am praying for you all to find peace with this soon. God be with you all. Love Thy kings wife. Not God LOL my husband:)(refering to the king thing)
I am a 54 year old woman on zanex for 5 years. I take 0.5 mg two times a day. I don't use them at work, it seems to make my thinking fuzzy. I have having many problems and stress in every area of my life.

What is bothering me is I don't seem as quick mentally as I once was (age or this pill?) I cry easily too, but then I always have. Thank God I have an understanding boss. Is mental confusion (even when not taking them during the day) a side effect? Thanks for any info.
Listening to you all is an eye opener - I am newly on Zoloft (5 weeks) a very low dose of 25mg but I have trouble sleeping.  My Doc gave me Xanax and said to take that every night to sleep.  I have called her back three times to say give me other options I don't feel comfortable taking the Xanax.  She continues to reassure me that it is safe.  I have taken 1/2 of one 5 or 6 times but it seems excessive.

I have decided to try Melatonin and if that doesn't work I may quit the Zoloft.  It's a shame, it has made my anxiety and panic go away and has worked very well for me however sleeping is important too!  

What's up with the doctors - just passing this stuff out.  It's great for a quick fix during a panic attack here and there but for me that's it.  Glad I found these posts they have convinced me that my instincts were right.  Take care all, Erin
Why didn't your Dr. prescribe a sleep aid? There are many good ones - my favorite one is Ambien. But, I always took 1/2 the dose. Yes, I know it is addicting - but Xanax is much worse. I am now in my 4th month of withdrawing and it is not easy.
Instead of getting on the xanax train, ask for a sleep aid. If you like Zoloft and it is helping you with your anxiety and panic, then stay the course. I'm surprised that Zoloft is not causing additional anxiety and agitation - I found it to be too stimulating for me. But, everyone's brain chemistry is different. That's why we patients get stuck on the drug trials train until we find one that we can tolerate.
Don't stay on Ambien for a long time, however.....at some point, you will want to wean off of that, too.....can be down slowly and carefully so you don't experience a rebound effect.
Good luck! And, are you under the care of a psychiatrist?
No I have not seen a psychiatrist - maybe I should.  I always thought they would want to delve into my life and I think my life is fine.  I feel very happy and content what the heck would I talk about?  That's my initial thought - but I know they offer much more than that.

You are right about the Zoloft it has helped and I will continue with it for a bit longer.  I figured at least a month maybe give it more time.  It did cause me much agitation at first but that doesn't happen anymore.

It's weird at night I am very relaxed and not anxious but I just keep waking up nearly every hour.  I am almost getting used to it!  My doc suggested cutting my 25mg into 12.5 to see if that helps me to sleep.  I am going to try that and if that doesn't help and I am still not sleeping maybe I will try the Ambien.  Thanks so much for your post!  erin
I'm not necessarily advocating that you see a psychiatrist because these days they don't actually do much talk therapy - it's more about drug management.

It's great that the Zoloft is helping you, too. I think your Dr. gave you a good direction to go in, but I hope the dosage reduction doesn't interfere with Zoloft's effectiveness for you.

Remember, take the lowest dosage possible on the Ambien and also buy the brand, not the generic. The brand is  quite easy to break into two. I also use a pill cutter sometimes for more precision.

About therapy - if you don't feel the need for talk therapy, why spend the money? I'm not sure why you started Zoloft in the first place, but I'm glad to hear that you're doing great on it.

Glad my post helped...
I started the Zoloft for anxiety & panic.  I have had it since I was a child.  I'm now 43 and I got hit real hard this December and I couldn't get a handle on it like I usually can.  I have had a prescription for Klonopin for about 10 years for an as needed basis.  I maybe take 5-10 a year but that didn't even help me so I was very scared and decided to try the Zoloft.  I have never taken anything regularly and was very reluctant but I felt so crappy I gave in.  It helped me right away.  I don't want to be on it for a long time so I would like to learn other methods of conquering my anxiety if I can.

Why did you start the Xanax?  Do you take any SSRI meds?
I take xanax for anxiety - started in 2002 after I became very ill. We theorize it was from Botox injections - may have traveled into my brain...but that is another story into itself....
My internist felt I should take an antidepressant at that time but I reacted horribly to every SSRI that I tried. Went through many drug trials....finally ended up with a psychiatrist who prescribed Remeron and also xanax for all of the shaking, etc. I weaned myself off the xanax after several months with no real problems. Also, my psych. had prescribed Ambien ,and it worked beautifully.  I also weaned myself off the Ambien several months later, too, as I knew it is highly addictive.

You're very lucky that you're getting such great results from Zoloft. Just be sure that when you're ready to discontinue, you work closely with your Dr. on the tapering. These drugs cannot be stopped abruptly - you need to go down very, very slowly to get the best success. Many people try to discontinue their antidepressants too quickly, feel horribly, then they are convinced that they have to stay on them. Not necessarily so - many times, it is just the withdrawal process. I believe strongly that it's much better to go down extremely slowly, stabilize, let your body chemistry adjust, then taper down again, etc.

Also, are you a woman? The crappiness you felt in December could also be due to peri-menapausel symptoms - some women get hit very hard.

I got hit hard in April with a return of severe depression and tried a few different SSRI's again - I get terribly shaking with them, so that's why I was put back on xanax. My dosage has been slowly reduced over the months, but my true tapering begin this past October. It's taking time but after I've read so much on the subject, I've learned that many times patients can suffer withdrawal reactions from 6 mos. up to 1 year.  Pretty amazing...
Sorry if I included too much info. in this post - but perhaps someone else reading it can benefit from my personal experience.

I hope you're having a good weekend...

Don't worry about the long post - I love all the info!

I will take it very slowly when I decide to quit the Zoloft.  I am thinking in the Spring - not quite sure yet.  I have been sleeping better the last couple of nights though - I have taken Melatonin and that's it so I feel good about that.

Yes I am a women and I am 43 so I definitely could be pre-menopausal, that combined with the tough winters and taking on a new job managing an Art Gallery (after being a stay at home mom for 10 years) may be the reason it has hit me so hard.

So your issues are mostly with Depression?  When my anxiety gets real constant I start to get depressed and that is so painful!  I feel for anyone who struggles with it - take care of yourself OK, Erin
Hi Erin,
Glad that you appreciated all of the info. in my post. My issues are mainly with depression but anxiety has a key component with it. It has been debilitating when it hits me, and that's when I go on antidepressants. I don't want to take them  long-term, and it's a debate that I continue to carry on with my psychiatrist.

Once I'm off xanax, I'll address weaning off ambien, then I'll wean off my antidepressant.

Based upon your info., it sounds like the anxiety you're facing is a result of the new job as a manager coupled with your responsibilities as a Mom.  Does your anxiety cripple you or is it a constant worrying?

It's so frustrating because I did not grow up with any one in my family suffering with debilitating depression. It's a drag that I got hit with it as I prided myself as being incredibly strong and able to juggle many tasks throughout my life. Oh well....I'm happy now to be stablizing on my lowered dose of xanax and am starting to feel the difference. YAY!!

Have a great week! Stay healthy, too - lots of nasty viruses floating around right now.
I have been reading this thread with great interest and have learned a lot.  My psychiatrist says anxiety and depression often go together.  Since the early 1980s I have been taking Xanax, with the dosage gradually increasing.  For the past few years, I have also been taking Clonazepam to help me to "gently stay asleep".  Fortunately, the anti-depressants give me an allergic reaction.  Someone told me that going off Xanax and other minor tranquillizers is more difficult than going off heroin because the body might not need it but the mind thinks it does.  I regret ever taking anti-anxiety meds since they have dulled the feelings I had and should have expressed.  Many drs do not want to waste time talking so they hand out meds instead.  After reading your comments, I am going to spend time at a healing lodge (I am Native American).
Megwich/Thank you all.  Sorry for the lengthy post.

Rottie

Hi, it sounds like you might be considering quitting your meds?  That would be a big step, it does sound like it would be difficult -  however just look at the number of posts from people who have done it.  Did you start taking it for depression or anxiety or both?
Both of those things are usually temporary, a phase we go through - you are probably in a totally different place now in your life.  When you started taking them did you plan on taking them indefinitely, have you ever tried to quit?  Sorry about so many questions, hope you don't mind sharing your story.

So what happens in the Healing Lodge?  Erin
Hello, you asked about my anxiety...you know it's more of a physical sensation that all the sudden hits me with a flutter in my belly then the walls close in - I'm sure you know the drill.  I mean it's not like I am worried about anything - it just comes out of the blue then once that happens a couple times I start to worry about it therefore bringing more on.  It's a vicious circle.  I hasn't really crippled me, I mean it definitely depresses me and makes me distant with the "derealization" - oh that's a horrible feeling!!

The other times it hits me is if I am somewhere else besides home and I am trying to sleep - I can get very anxious then.  It's so lonely at night feeling anxious when everyone else is sound asleep.  Now a days I just take something before I get anxious so it's not so much a problem anymore.

When you said it's frustrating because you have always considered yourself so strong etc. that's me exactly!  I told you (I think) everyone in my family is on meds for Anxiety, they always gave me **** telling me I was the only sane one with my **** together and I was very proud of that.  Now I am just like them, but hey they all seem pretty damn happy so I might as well join in!  Take Care, Erin
WOW!! Interesting that you are strong, too...I said when I was first hit with the severe depression, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall".
I carried most of my family's responsibilities on my shoulders as I've always had a high performing sales position,(have been in medical sales) earning great money. So, when the pressure mounted at work to hit numbers, I felt that I couldn't dare lose my job as my family was dependent on my income. It was quite substantial...
Well, those days are over. For whatever reason, when the depression came on, it was extreme!! Anxiety component is always about money.

My Mom and Dad are not on any meds for anxiety or depression.
And - I hate the derealization - it's nasty!!
Do you have any issues with low blood sugar? Sometimes it feels just like it!!
During this weaning down period, the derealization is really nasty and comes back so I start to think that I can't get off the xanax. I do not want to get back on the long-acting since I weaned myself off of it in October/November. I am just hanging tough - I'm glad that I found this forum for extra support.
Can I add you as a friend? You would be my first on here.
Take care and hope you're doing well...
Please do add me as a friend and I will do the same!  

I have been tested for low blood sugar many times because I get real shaky when I don't get food in time, sometimes I even feel I could pass out.  I take granola bars with me where ever I go for this reason - that works.  My tests are always negative so I guess it just my metabolism.  Do you have it - or does it just feel like it sometimes?

I'm not sure I understand what you meant about your job.....did you have to quit because of your depression/anxiety?  Are you working at all?

Even though I may be getting anxiety from working more my job is not stressful at all.  I don't have to be the "bread winner" the money I make is purely for me.  I know how lucky I am and I never take it for-granted!  I don't think I could handle it, being totally responsible for my family - I have had dreams about it and am so glad my husband is as strong and committed as he is.  His job is purely commission, we can go for 2 months without a paycheck, so it can be very stressful for him.  I seem to take on all the other stress though - worrying about kids, homework, house, food on & on.  Your typical "house wife" role and I don't mind a bit.  I can't imagine doing both is that what you were doing?  Society keeps telling women they can have it all work, family, marriage - I don't buy it.  Maybe I'm just not as strong and that's OK.

Talk with ya soon, Erin

Talk with ya soon, Erin

I have been trying to get off xanax  for 25 days now. It is wicked stuff. I am on low dose too. I am having a terrible time now that I have wean down extra low. How are you doing now? I hope it gets better. It feels like I am starting at the beginning of when I first got anxiety all over again. Only now I have the mindset and the tools to help myself.
Hang in there...low dose or not - it's reported that people who are weaning get a returning of the symptoms that caused them to start taking xanax in the very first place.

I am pacing myself very slowly and not listening to people who ask why it's taking so long...they don't know the difficulties in withdrawing unless they experienced it first hand. I find that if you were taking it regularly - i.e. every day, 3 times per day - or like me, every day, 4 times per day - every 4 hours......it is tough to taper down from.
I have been in the process of weaning down since Oct. 07, and from what I have read and learned, many patients can feel withdrawal symptoms for 6 mos. up to 1 year.
So, with that in mind, I keep reminding myself that it's the withdrawal and I take it one day at a time....as cliche as that sounds.
Good Luck - this forum is a great way to get support from others to share their experiences...

Hi - yes, I am considering quitting anti-anxiety meds and based on these posts and what I've heard it will not be easy.  I don't mind the question.  In my 20s (the old times - hehe), the shrink I was seeing was more interested in handing out meds than in talk therapy.  In no way did I think that 20 yrs later I'd still be taking these meds - that's a really long phase.  The original reason for anti-anxiety meds was that the jerk I married - hope the language doesn't offend anyone - walked out right after my fourth child was born and I lost everything, except the children.  While I didn't feel depressed that he was gone, there was a lot of anxiety in being a single parent to four children under the age of six but we got by.  The shrink seemed more inclined to dope me up rather than just listen.

Sweat lodges, healing lodges, doctoring ceremonies, talking circles - all of them work on the mind, body, emotions and spirit.  I have never left one without feeling that I have learned something.  It is very healing and very powerful.  It was by going back to my Native roots that I realized that Xanax was not helping me; in fact, it was hurting me.

These postings have been really helpful and although I am new to this site, I hope that reading other folks' stories will be helpful and supportive.  Feel free to ask me whatever you want.

Hugs - Rottie

I have been on xanex for 10 years.  I feel like it is the only thing that can help me with my anxity.  I am so stressed out to take anything else the doctor gives me because my panic attacks are so server and some meds make me feel like i can't breath and i get rapid heartbeats.  I hate xanex my mother died from it and I am scared this might happen to me at this time I take three 1 m tablets a day.  Some days I don't take that many depends on how I feel I can feel my panic attacks starting to happen now I think I am a pro after 10 years.  I want to get off of it but what will happen with my panic attacks they are bad to the point I have to go to the hospital.  I feel the opposite of alot of ppl on this sight they want to feel normal I feel I am not normal unless I take them.  I really am addicted I get panic attacks when i see that I am running out.  Do you think I can do this and is there something that I can take for panic attacks once i do get off or do I have to feel like I am having heartattacks all the time.  Please someone help me if you can..  I really need someone to understand what I am going through I am still young and wanna be around for my kids Thanks.
-so4tin8
There is some great info. on this site about weaning from xanax. If you do a search on xanax withdrawal, you should be able to find some valuable info.

There are several ways to do this: Obviously, you know, first and most important of all, consult your Dr. on how to do this. Set up a taper schedule with him/her. Discuss if you want to use an alternative - like klonopin or valium to help you in the transition.

It does sound like you could be feeling rebound anxiety, as xanax is not a drug that you can change dosages around on. You can't decide to take 2 pills one day, then only 1 pill the next. It has a very short half-life and you go through a type of withdrawal if you don't stick to your normal usage. When someone skips a dose, rebound anxiety occurs, and you're then convinced that your anxiety is worse. In actuality, it's from the actual withdrawal of the normal amount that your body has become accustomed to.

Please do some checking on this site....if you are determined to get off xanax, you can. Again, just be sure to start first with your doctor in setting up your schedule of withdrawal.

Good luck....everyone here will help you in support. It's a great site for that!!
And, I've been weaning off Xanax since Oct. 07 - doing it probably too slowly, but I'm doing it. Currently taking it 4/day - but only a total of .5 mg. (I cut my .25mg. pill in half).

Take care,
-xan-
hello, my name is Christy. I been addicted to xanax for 6 years. I went to rapid detox after I had sezuire's. I did that 2 months ago. I still have bad shakes and panic attaics. does antbody know what I can do??? Need help.... Christy.  ***@****
   First and formost I have never taken a Xanax, but over the last 2-3 years I feel the affects of it every day.
   I am engaged to a great guy who has been through a lot with his family. Sister who is addicted to Xanax, Cocaine proabaly and at one time Oxycotin. His mother had what they think is a nervous breakdown and hasn't recovered. Then 2 1/2 years ago he watched his father pass away in his arms where they worked.
   We have had custody of her 2 boys(at the time 6wks & 3yrs) for 2 yrs now and she is still stealing Xanax from her mother or buying on the street. Claims to be a mother or want to be a mother to her children but can't stay straight enough to stay awake alot of the times.
  As if that wasn't bad enough; I have now figured out with in the last week, that I think my brother who was prescribed Xanax to help him through his divorce and custody battles is addicted and denying it. My mother and I talked him into going to the ER(as directed by his physcian who's office was closed) the other day because he couldn't function. He filled his script on Wed., took 3/1mg tablets that day and was up at 4:30am thurs to get more. He spilled the bottle, picked up the ones that had fallen and says he through those in the trash(all though a thurough search of trash and house turned up empty). Not sure if he had taken any after he spilled them, but he had taken 2/1mg tablets Thurs. morning by 7am. Between 8:30 & 9:45am that morning my sister had called and said he couldn't walk without stumbling and was yelling at my children about things that had happened on Wed. HE HAD COMPLETELY LOST A WHOLE DAY!
    This isn't the first time that happened though. My mother and I just thought the 1mg tablets were too much and that maybe if he only took 0.5mg it would take care of whatever anxiety he was having.
    After alot of screaming,crying and threats he finally agreed to go to the ER that Thurs. afternoon. My brother admitted to taking the Xanax to aliviate his pain from his recent shoulder surgery because the other doctors wouldn't prescribe him any more Loratabs for the pain. He admitted to taking more than prescribed and you could tell by his slurring and actions he was really out there. This "woman's"(the ER doctor) response to my saying our concern was the Xanax and that there were children involved was "he's a big boy and he knows if he's taking to much(as far as mg) and if he's taking it too often or for the wrong reason". The doctor left the room and I was floored. She wouldn't listen to my mother or I at all. Just the drugged up person wnating someone to give him some pain meds. That was when I made the comment to my mother"why not just give him the whole bottle right now so that way we won't have to leave and then come back and have to pay another co-pay because he's killing himself the same way".
    Please help me to understand and figure out a way to help him before it's too late. His daughter needs him. And so do we.
    The new privacy acts are really inhibiting unless you're holding his hand at every dr appt.

Sister-n-need
I have read that you can only taper off of Xanax with Xanax, and to boot my doc got the crossover dosage wrong, and I had to call him to let him know about it. From what I have read, roughy 1mg of Xanax= 10mg of Valium. He put me on 5mg of Valium tid, and from the start, I could tell that I didn't feel right. I have been taking 1mg Xanax tid plus .5mg as needed for over two years. Can someone help with how to taper off the correct way? I haven't been able to sleep waking up every hour, however the Valium seems to be working quite well for my anxiety, I am not so groggy/out of it feeling like I was when I was on Xanax. I thinkk that Valium might work better for me now that my doc has the dose right. I still have to take the Xanax a couple times throughout the day or I start to feel not very good. I know that it is because I am not getting any Xanax. Can anyone help? Can I safely take both while weaning off of the Xanax?
HI THERE MY NAME IS CHRISTINA I HAVE BEEN ON 1MG XANAX 4 TIMES A DAY WAS GETTING 120 PILLS A MONTH . I HAVE BEEN ON THEM FOR 11 YEARS NOW .IM 29 YRS OLD I SUFFER FROM ANXIETY ,DEPRESION,PTSD, SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS . AND MANIC, I AM BEING WEINED OFF MY XANAX . THE DR, SAYS ITS NOT HELPING ME I HAVE GAINED TOLERANCE TO IT OVER THE CORSE OF THE YEARS . SO NOW SHE IS WANTING TO SLOWLY GET ME OFF THE XANAX AS OF 11-13-2008 SHE SAID TO TAKE A 1MG KLONOPIN IN THE MORNING  AND THEN WAIT FOR 4 HOURS AND TAKE A XANAX ALLOWING ME UP TO 3 MG PER DAY SO SHE ONLY TOOK 1MG A DAY FROM ME BUT SUBSTITUTED IT WIITH THE KLONIPIN (klonopin) .I GET 30 KLONIPIN (klonopin) A MONTH AND IN STAD OF 120 XANAX I GET ONLY 90 XANAX A MONTH . IM SCARED AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS LIKE .

1. IS DETOX BAD AND WHAT TO EXPECT ? AND HOW LONG WILL THE BAD DETOX EFFECTS TAKE TO GO AWAY ?
2. IS THIS A GOOD WAY OF DETOXING WITH THE  XANAX BEING REPLACED BY THE KLONOPIN ?
3. MY NEXT STEP AFTER THIS 3MG XANAX WILL BE GOING DOWN TO 2 1 MG'S PER DAY WILL THAT BE EVEN HARDER THAN WHAT IM GOING THREW NOW ?
4. DID YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAVE BAD DETOX EFFECTS FROM WEINING ME OFF THE XANAX  THIS WAY TO KLONOPIN ? IF SO WHAT WAS THEY AND HOW LONG DID THEY LAST ?
5. I WAS TOLD THAT THE WORST  DAYS ARE THE FIRST 3 DAYS OF DETOX  BUT IM NOT GOING OFF THEM COLD TURKEY  DOSE THAT MAKE THINGS ANY DIFFERENT?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT IM VERY SCARED AND NEED SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THREW THIS OR KNOWS SOMEONE WHO HAS ..
THANKS ALOT !~~
I have read all the posts on this thread. It was very educational. In some respects I am one of the lucky ones. I have been on xanax since 1991 but have only taken .5mg a day at the most. I am going to try and cut it out completely. I tried once before but the panic attacks came back. I now know  it is the drug creating its own illusion of neediness. I just have to ride out the storm.  I will cut it to .5mg every other day for a couple weeks. I won't get discouraged if I feel the panic and shaky hands returning. I know that this is a journey I must take and it will take up to 2 years to complete. The doc also has me on Trazadone for sleep and Prozac for depression. I am only going to tackle one at a time.  I am going to go to an N.A. group for support. I am 52 year old woman who lives alone.
I have been considering gettin off my xanax but i am so scared, scared of dealing with the anxiety the sweats and feeling as if i can't breath when the attacks happen, but after reading this i am scared most of all of the seizures and whether it will be fatal. I have been taking .25 mg. 1 or 2 x aday for the past 3 1/2 years.  What do i have to look forward to if i try to quit, will i have the seizures, I want someone to tell me the truth, if yes than tell me that will happen, but don't tell me i won't get seizures just to get me off of them and than i have one and die.  Please someone hlp me with this decision.  Like i said I take 1 or 2 pills .25 mg. per day and it has been for 3 1/2 years, alot of times just one pill a day but never have i went a day without one.  I will at least take one when i go to bed, what to do?
I UNDERSTAND YOUR FEARS.I TOOK 3MG A DAY FOR 15 YEARS.YOUR REALLY NOT ON A BIG DOSE BUT IF YOU JUST STOP YOU HAVE THE SAME WITHDRAWS AS ANYONE PERIOD.FIRST THING,FIRE YOUR DOCTOR THAT PUT YOU ON THEM.FIND A DOCTOR THAT WILL BRING YOU OFF THEM SLOWLY,AND I MEAN SLOWLY, IF IT TAKES A YEAR,AS WAS THE CASE WITH ME,WELL SO BE IT.THE ONLY TIME I HAD A MINOR PROBLEM WAS WHEN I WAS BROUGHT DOWN .25 MG EVERY OTHER 3RD WEEK,IT WASNT ANYTHING HORRIBLE,JUST YOUR MIND GETTING USE TO THE FACT ITS COMING OFF THIS ****,BUT THAT PASSED IN 24HOURS(MIND WAS ALITTLE RACE TRACK,LOL,SWEATS,BUT NOTHING TO WERE YOU CANT WILL YOURSELF AWAY FROM.TRUST ME,BY THE TIME YOU GET DOWN TO YOUR LAST DOSE,YOU WILL BE FEELING SO GOOD YOU WONT EVER WANT TO GO BACK ON THIS ****.EXERCISE WILL HELP REALLY WELL TO,SO GOODLUCK AND KEEP ME POSTED.A WARNING TO,DONT EVER RAPID DETOX OFF XANAX,IT SHOCKS YOUR BODY TO QUICK AND YOU CAN RELAPSE VERY QUICKLY.SLOWLY IS THE ANSWER.
Ok well I can relate to  a lot of you people . Unfort. I was not prescribed xanax and was taking up to 10MG a day for a few years off and on. I was worried about quitting cold turkey b.c people told me about the seizures n stuff.. i was worried.  I notice I was mis placing my keys, getting more stressed out ...total memory loss, short and long term. This medicine is awful, yet its a drug that kids and adults abuse. Getting emotional over Nothing! not getting along with friends and family.. I would try to cheat the system and go to a doctor and try to tell them i was having panic attacks and felt "pounding in my chest" and everything possible.. I couldn't work, Failing college.. Then at age 23, this past summer... my parents were in europe at our summer home.. I broke down to them over the phone, I told them I need help.. I am so lucky to have a family that I do , Substance abuse runs in my family.. alcoholism...laziness.(lol) and other drugs..nothing too harsh..but a waste. My dad called our family doc. and told him I was abusing xanax and I needed help getting off. One thing he said is go to rehab, or do it yourself... This is how it was done for me... I am not doctor so This is just my story and how I recoverded fully from Benzo withdrawals....

Lets start with, Your diet... eat good, no more soda / pop ...no more fast foood! no more fried foods... plenty of vegitables...fruits....protein. Next - Vitamins, If you talk to your doctor first and see what vitamins you can take and what you cant take. This is where my mom *( a health freak came into play to help me out)* She started me on Vitamin B-50  once a day.. maybe once in the morning and then later on after food but not too late b.c it will keep you up.  To sleep at night - magnesium and calcium. Make sure you  start taking Vitamin C - Multiple and ginko biloba , maybe start taking Zinc to boost immune system..but not too long.. Drink a lot of tea's whatever your favorite may be. Try sleepy time tea before you go to bed, so u can sleep..

Things to expect while withdrawl (withdrawal) :   The *****, sweats, memory loss, (maybe its perm. from my aspect of life so far..which is sad, - there are vitamins to help promote memory gain. Since i grew up in PA - FL and europe my whole life... I learned one thing from the polish / italian people... Take one shot of omega 3- 6 oil flax seed oil iin the morning ( this is for people with consitaption with taking pain pills too ..just so you all wanted to know) Its a long road ahead of you, get exercize DAILY this is a must, you need to sweat out toxins.. I quit cold turkey and never looked back, this is how it worked for me.. like i said.. I took vitamins, i worked out, i ate good food, salads..fruits.. YOU NEED TO TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT THIS, TO COMFORT YOU, most people say this is a suicide drug.. its prolly true! i could never skip out on life..so thatwasnt a factor for me. I am proud of all the poeple coming on here telling their stories and trying to help others.. I am trying to help as many people as possible.. now the OUTCOME of all this... I went back to college.. im at a standing 3.7 GPA in accounting tax specialist course.. on my way to get my C.P.A . Thank for the time if you read this. any questions just reply on here. Peace out my peeps - mark
Hello, I am having a difficult time weaning off Xanax and alcohol.  Also, what makes it worse is that I am on an island in the Pacific.  99% of the doctors don't speak English and pretty much I am on my own with this dilemna.  I initially took 2mg of Xanax for severe panic attacks then learned to love it.  It also cures hangovers.  I want to quit both but I know you can't just go cold turkey without serious dangers.  Anyone have any suggestions about slowly getting off both of these drugs safely without medical help?  Any info would help.  Thanks.
I have been taking xanax .25mg for the past 2mths, and today is my 12th day of quitting. I got in my second car accident this past Feb(09) and it shook me up a bit. The first car accident left one of my friends in a wheelchair and the others broke their necks. As for me I still have a cracked skull and that accident was in 2006. But any who I was feeling tightness in my chest and my head would start feeling tight whenever I tried to drive my car, so I stopped driving all together. This began to occur after my 2nd accident. The doc told me I was just having panic/anxiety attacks and prescribed me Xanax. Every since I stopped taking them I've been feeling nervous,hallucinating,not being sure if i'm in pain or just tripping, lost all interest in sex with my boyfriend, fast heartbeat(which the docs cant tell me whats causing this) and having trouble sleeping. I'm starting to think i'm losing my mind at age 23. I know .25  was a low dose, but I'm one whose doesn't take medicine so I feel that's why this medicine is taking such a major toll on me. HELP!!!!!!
You're not going crazy! I'm on 0.25mg Xanax too and I'm trying to wean off it (Started at 1.5mg/day for about a month, then 1mg for a couple weeks, then 0.5mg for a couple weeks, now 0.25mg).  I was originally on 0.5mg Ativan twice a day for a few weeks due to panic attacks from a reaction to medication fiasco.  I quit cold turkey because like you I'd never taken any meds/drugs before, didn't like how the meds were affecting me, and didn't know about the possibility of quick dependency and withdrawals.  The next several weeks were hell and I had every symptom you have (except hallucinations).  Ativan is in the same family as Xanax (benzodiazepines aka benzos), but about half as strong.

Long story short--my opinion is that your going through withdrawal.  Everything I've read about Xanax withdrawal is to taper down slowly, stabilizing after each reduction before trying the next reduction.  Most docs, counselors and psychs will tell you that your symptoms are from anxiety, and if you control the anxiety your symptoms will disappear.  Many recommend anti-anxiety meds like Xanax as an 'easy' way to help your anxiety; but these meds can make things much worse over the long run.  My 'natural' panic attacks were nothing in intensity/duration compared to the med-induced ones.  I wished I'd never taken any of the meds prescribed.

Once you're off the Xanax for a while and things are under control, you can tackle your driving anxiety with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and non-drug methods like gradual exposure.  It's perfectly understandable that you'd become anxious driving after having a bad accident; but by gradually and comfortably getting back in the saddle you should be able to get back to driving again without having bad anxiety.

Best wishes--hopefully we can both get better soon.

I was taking xanax for a while i did not like the way the drug make me feel but it was helping me a lot...
I always needed my bottle on me for some odd reasons what I did it's put on the calendar a little cross for each xanax free day and set myself goal after a week get myself something nice after 2 weeks do something nice for me... Well it's been 7 months that I' m xanax free I give my doctor my bottle because i do not need it anymore.
Good luck
Rejane
I have suffered from panic/anxiety/agoraphobia for 10 years. I do take prescriptions for it but I wanted to say one of the things that have helped the most is consistently going on a treadmill everyday for at least 10 minutes. You can buy one and set it up in front of your TV, something you would be doing anyway.  It has really taken the edge off my symptoms when I stick with it. Please try it, as someone who has tried all sorts of medicines, I promise  just this simple thing will make a difference. Walmart sells them for under 300 dollars.
I have been on xanax for about 18 months now. For someone with chronic sleep problems it has been a lifesaver. I can't function on no sleep, especially as a teacher so it has helped me in that area. However, last night in bed after not taking xanax for a few nights (I take as needed) I had terrible nightmares which involved dizziness within the dream and also in my awake state once I woke up. Today I feel out of it and do not have any xanax here where I am staying. My dose has been .5 megs as needed. Once in a rare while I will take 2 in a night. Worried about my career if I stop and the long term effects. I also drink socially but never take xanax in the day time. I feel xanax makes me more cohesive and coherent in the classroom but worry about addiction. Thanks for any help.
I have been on alprazolam for about 2 years never knew it was addictive until a year after I started. I was taking up to 4 and sometimes 6 mg per day. When I ran out of my prescriptions I found out doctor had reduced dosage without telling me to 1 mg per day. Thats when I found out I was addicted. I couldnt sleep for a week and promply lost my appetite. I had the shakes and felt miserable. I ended up in the emergency room again begging for some sleep meds. Doctor then explained to me that he was going to taper me down. 1 year later I am down to .25 mg per night for sleep. The kicker is my sex drive seems to have disappered. theis is very important to me. I stopped smoking cigarettes and  taking alprazolam 6 weeks ago and found that melatonin helps me get to sleep.  My anxiety is not  bad and I have started jogging every day of the week between 2 and 4 miles each day. I just want my life back. drug free. I dont seem to be going through withdrawals. How long will it be before I can feel that I am off Alprazolam. How long before I  before my warm human connections return  
I was on xanax for four years.  Sometime during those four years, I crossed the line and started taking more than prescribed.  The xanax use got me to the point of a very bad depression (I could never get out of bed or even get the mail); I volunteered for ECT treatments for the depression and the funny part of that was the doctor never mentioned that xanax was the cause of my depression.  Finally at the end of my four years of use of xanax, I started mixing them with alcohol.  I flatlined (heart stopped) -- medics revived me!  Two days later, I entered a detox/rehab.  They weaned me off the xanax.  It's been five months now and I am suffering alot of Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms.  Panic attacks are frequent, feeling like I'm going insane, sweaty palms and feet etc.  I cannot wait for all these symptoms to go away.  I pray to God every day to help me.  One definite thing:  DO NOT TAKE XANAX  God Bless and Good Luck
XANAX IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!!! SEEK OUT HERBAL DRUGS THAT WILL HELP YOU RELAX AND KEEP YOU AWAY FROM ANXIETY. ALL ANXIETY IS CURABLE BY PROGRAMS AND COUNCILING.. NO DRUGS NEEDED. THERE ARE STORIES OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE WORST ANXIETY WHO TOOK MEDICINE AND IT MADE IT WORSE. MEDICINE MASKS THE REAL PROBLEM. AND COMING DOWN FROM THESE PILLS WILL MAKE YOU MORE ANXIOUS. IF YOU ARE HAVING ANXIETY DONT FALL TO THESE STUPID MEDS THAT HAVE WORSE SIDE EFFECTS THEN THE ANXIETY ITS SELF. STAY POSITIVE AND IT WILL PASS DONT TURN TO DRUGS HANG IN THERE AND LOOK AT PROGRAMS AND TRAIN YOURSELF NOT TO BE ANXIOUS. ANXIETY IS A BEHAVIOR NOT MENTAL. THESE STUPID PILLS SEEM TO BE MUCH WORSE THEN THE ANXIETY ITSSELF. ANXIETY WILL GO AWAY!!! YOU MUST HAVE THE CORRECT MIND SET. DON'T GIVE IN TO STUPID BENZOS IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY!!!
I'm on Xanax 3 years suffereing post traumatic stress and GAD so they put me on Xanax just recently I was on Valium before that and nothing before that my question is this. I find the xanax are actually quiet good but don't last long in my system maybe 2 to 3 hours and when they wear off I have twice as much anxiety. I think I'm not sure but I'm sitting at my desk praying that nobody comes near me. I'm on .25 twice a day but already don't think it's enough and I'm only one them 2 weeks.
My god you flatlines on Xanax? oh hell cause all my anxiety is heart based that has me very scared.
Re: Xanax
Lots of great info. here.  Thanks everyone for sharing.  I didn't find my exact situation above so am posting this for opinions and advice.  I've been taking 0.5 mg of Xanax daily, at night, for three years or so.  I started it as a potential relief for tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears).  Now I want to stop.  I was going to go 0.375 for a week, then 0.25 for a week, then stop cold turkey.  Good idea?  Something better?  What should my expectations be for symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
everyones
brains react differently, depending on mood/(pain)tolerance/ ,
xanax withdrawals are much more easily tolorated than methadone/subutex,ie. the longer u take the meds the longer & harder u will withdrawal.
I had 7800 lipase acute pancreatitis along with 2yr valium & a 6yr vodka a night habit withdrawals, all detoxed in a week, but its taken 6months for me to feel normal again, (if I know what that means anymore) the thing that is working for me is training the mind & body. it works but the only setback is u lose it if u don't use it. same as drugs/meds. perhaps what we are missing is a spiritual approach , something I've never believed in but I'm willing to give it a go, since I'm at the end of my rope. mike  
everyones
The best way to quit Xanax is to reduce the Xanax  by 1/2 a 0.25 mg tablet (0.125 mg) a week right till the end.This was suggested to me by my Psychiatrist.I have reduced my Xanax dose from 1.5 mg to 1.25 mg and it will take me another 10 weeks more.
I don't know what to do.  I have taken as much as 7mg a day now for months.  I am able to tolerate much less when I am on Soma or Darvocet, but none of this is where I want to be anymore.  I suppose since our loss of business and income due to mainly the economy has made me "check out", but believe it or not I'm an over achiever and function at a high level while I'm on these things.  I take it to calm my nerves and "forget" about the upcoming financial burdens approaching.  I'm a good Mom and have a GREAT husband that knows, but isn't involved in this mess.  All my husband sees is the clean house, and things "appear" to be fine.  I never act "strange" it levels me and yet I know I'm a 40 year old that this is taking a toll on.  I see a different person when I look at myself.  I'm too ashamed to go ask for help because I am a RN.  This began after my son was born 7 years ago and I've been a stay at home Mom.  I'M SO AFRAID OF WHAT I'VE DONE TO MY BODY.  The main thing is my son is my world and I'm so afraid that I'm going to miss out on these great years due to the fog this stuff puts me in.  I don't put my son in harms way I SWEAR!!!  I don't drive him or do anything to possibly put him at risk.  I'm actually able to not do it when I'm involved with "Mom" stuff.  I know I sound in denial.  Where do I start?  I love my family and this can't continue.          
Crystal, I'm a mom too. I know you are ashamed about your xanax use but you can kick this and you can recover from what the drug has done to your body so far. As an RN it won't be easy because you think you should have known better and people will look down on you. Screw that, you made a mistake and now you are going to fix it.  I started taking xanax because I hated my job.  I was overwhelmed and too scared to face quitting without some kind of sleep aid. I asked my Dr. for xanax to take for a month, just .25 mg at night to help me sleep.  Well after that month I did it again, and again, until I started to go in withdrawal during the day. I thought I was dying, I thought I had a brain tumor! I spent so much money going to Dr.s because I had quit my job so no health ins.  Last week I realized I was addicted and I quit. I think you really need to just go, see a Dr. you trust and tell them everything.  If they try to tell you to keep taking it, go to a rehab.  Take 30 days and get through this.  Crystal, I'm xanax free now, i was only addicted for about 5 months, but if I could do it, you can do it. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. Keep focused on how you will feel as a mom once you are free from this drug.  
I have been on xanax for over 10 years now about 1 to 2 mg per day.  One day I got curious and asked my psychiatrist, M.D., Ph.D., how long can I be on xanax, and he replied "for the rest of your life".  Shortly after that visit I had to have a Whipple Procedure for my Pancreatic Cancer and 5 year survival rate for the disease is about 30%.  So I think I'll keep on taking it until I die.  It does help me with the existential anxiety that does creep up at middle of the night.
Hi there to everyone that has taken something from all of us bloody xanax!!!!!! To Last401k,my heart goes out to you,and i'd do the same thing,you are so very brave. I to was an addict of xanax,was on it for 6years started taking 1mg 3 times a day ended up taking 20 1mg xanax a day,plus handfulls of codein just to feel normal!!!!!! I was many years ago a user of speed couldn;t get enough,untill my then boyfriend now fiancee,took me away,i got clean and had a precious child..I first started taking xanax as i saw a fatalaty car accident young child,then after 5 years im eating them like smarties..Doc shopping chemist shopping,fought constantly with my partner,tryed to hide it from my 7year old,she new,it was devastating.Lieing to mates.family,work collegues.My life was one huge lie.I had enough id become this desspred ,liar.So stupid me you would think i would have learnt went cold turkey again.i was at work fainted split the back of my head open awoke at the hospital...Then at the age of 32 i thought i need to do something now,incase i don't wake up..The world is full of judgmental barstads,no xanax for you,try meditade..YER RIGHT..Finally the godds sent me the best doc i told the whole truth im taking 20 1mg tabs of xanax and coedine to reach that high.Doc said your lucky to be alive,but lets work together and get you off this drug..I was given .5mg xanax and 150 tabs of 5mg valium.Four the first 3 weeks i was taking 18mg of valium a day.But i kissed that xanax good bye,it was so hard but not that bad as you guys no xanax has a half life so when your out you want more,valium takes a good 40 mins to hit your system xanax straight away.Valium stays in your system up to a day with me it did it was good,it also stopped the codeine withdrawals.I was on valium for it least 7 months long time yer!!!!But now i don't need anything,i always have valium in the draw but dont use it.......Theres hope at the end of this nightmare,never go cold turkey,find a bloody good doc thats going to help,don't lie to them and never ever ever let anyone judge you,this is not your fault,we are all equel human's......I now have the same partner whos now my fiancee,been together four 12 years,and a beautifull girl that nows mummy's mum not a mummy.They love me.My family juged me and we don't speak,but there the one's missing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thankyou if you read this. much appreciated...............NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!! mimxo
I've just now realized the effects of quitting cold turkey from Xanax.  I've been taking 2mg 3x a day for about a year and ran out about a week ago.  For the past few days I've been feeling so awkward with the symptoms that I could not figure out were coming from.  

It doesn't help that I started Testosterone replacement therapy about a week and a half ago.  I was thinking the symptoms were caused by the temporary adjustment of my body to the increased Testosterone levels that I never considered the Xanax at all.

I finally researched Xanax withdrawals and it suddenly hit me that this was the cause.  I took one of my pills (new Rx) and within an hour was feeling much better.  I'm surely glad that I researched this and recognized my symptoms for what they were.

I think I'm in for a difficult process weaning off of the Xanax, but I'll get there and never allow myself to get to this point again.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences as It gives me hope that sometime in the future, however long it takes that I can rid myself of this medication

Thank you so much.

BTW, my screen name was given to me by an ex.  I chose the change in spelling (in case you were wondering)
I've just now realized the effects of quitting cold turkey from Xanax.  I've been taking 2mg 3x a day for about a year and ran out about a week ago.  For the past few days I've been feeling so awkward with the symptoms that I could not figure out were coming from, headaches, nausea, dizziness, disassociation, even strong smells like food would make me nauseous.

Thank you so much.
hi, I have been on xanex for a short time (3 months).  I have a rx for  a small does of .5 mg.  I usualy take it at night to seep. But I have gone 2 or 3 days without taking any. Very recenlty for the past 10 days I  have even needed to take a xanex at work.  I did tha 2 times last week.   I also just started about a week ago on Citalopram for depression and anxiety- 20mg.  I have been on citalopram and also  zolof off and on for the past 10 years.  Could I be having withdrawal symptoms from the xanex from such a short time of taking it?   I wokeup this morning in a cold sweat. not feeling myself like I was out of my body.  My blood pressure can be eratic but I did take itand it was 125/78, so not the issue there. Must be a panic attack.  But am alos concerned if I am beginning to get addicted to the xanex. Any thoughts out there?
On Thursday May 20th I ran out of xanax.  I had been taking 2 mg bars twice a day for about 4 to 5 months.  I started out taking the xanax every now and then, as needed for anxiety...then before I knew it I was taking it it every day, then twice a day.  It just got out of hand.  When I couldn't get anymore, I thought I would be fine.  A week after I ran out and had to quit cold turkey, I started getting the shakes, hot and cold flashes, agitation, it was the worst pain I had ever been through.  I couldn't sleep, I would jump if anyone spoke loudly, I didn't want to leave the house.  I vomited, had diarrhea, I didn't eat for 4 days... it was the most painful thing that I have ever gone through.  I was so worried and I didn't even realize that I was addicted until I didn't have it anymore.  Words can not describe the mental and physical turmoil that I was in for at least a week and a half.  I finally went to the doctor...she put me on Hydroxyzine 3 times a day.  No it didn't help tremendously but it did take the edge off.  The point is that I am past the 3 week mark without xanax... I feel great.  SO MUCH BETTER!!  I have been living in a fog for almost half of a year.  I went on this website while I was in withdrawal thinking that I would find hopeful stories but what I found was the opposite.  I just wanted to put something positive on this board.  If you are on Xanax and you are not addicted, STOP TAKING IT or TRY TO GET OFF WITH THE HELP OF A DOCTOR!  Xanax is POISON!  If I could go back, I would've never taken the stuff.  Trust me, you think that you need it but eventually you stop caring about the things that are MOST important to you and before you know it you're addicted to the stuff.  GET OFF OF IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!  You will be so happy you did.  YOU CAN DO IT!!  
My gastroenterologist prescribed xanax for me about 2 years ago to help calm my anxiety with abdominal pressure.  The xanax worked great.  I never had tried going off of it because it seemed to work on helping me to relax and my abdominal muscles became relaxed.  About 4 months ago or so I started with mega-hangovers and ear ringing.  I had started seeing a therapist this year and when I told her about the hangovers I also told her about the Xanax.  That's when she told me it was an addictive drug.  I know I am lucky to only have taken 1 mg for a couple of years compared to some people.  I am in the process of weaning myself off.  I did 3/4 mg for a week, then 1/2 for a week and tonight will be my 2nd night on 1/4 mg.  I am a recovering alcoholic of 20 years and I know I would not have taken this "crap" if I knew of the addictive qualities.  I'm hoping by this time next week I will start to feel a bit better.  One day at a time.    
I have been on xanax for 14 years. I now have found out that xanax can  be deadly. I want to live without having to worry about where i put my pills or do i have tham on me. I wish i would have known what i know now before they precribed them to me ,but i was suffering so bad with anxiety in my early 20s that i wonder what would be better the felling i had before xanax or the fellings i have now. I have never abused xanax and have always seen a phycologist and they have mentioned me tappering off, but they are fearful what might happen. It was explained to me that i have a desease and it is called severe anxiety. Or panic disorder. Just like a diabetic needs his incilin a person with aneity needs what helps them, in my case it ia xanax. I have lived healthy and happy. So if you need it take it. I have no heath problems .
Go to a doctor throw away ALL zanax!!!! Ask for a spin down on klonopin take EXACTLY like prescribed. Over in one week.Then NEVER allow another benzo into yer blood stream.I pray 4 u all.I have been clean off that stuff 4 a while now and my brain still wants them sometimes,I learned the pleasure centers of your brain will actually give u a panic attack in hopes u will reward it with more benzodiazapine.This may happen ten years later.The brain also gives opiate users pain that does not exist.It is the most complex thing on earth scientists still do not understand it.It is your friend and possibly your worst enemy.I believe in the native American story of 2 wolves fighting in the brain good and evil. The one you feed will be the winner.
May i suggest people with anxiety and depression go for hypnotherapy. At least ten or more sessions while pregnant! It has helped me a lot and i have been able to have a drug free pregnancy. It is not a cure but it has made me see life in a different way. Don't be conned into thinking it will take 1 or 2 sessions. Like any therapy it takes time. Insist on going for lots of sessions even if the hypnotherapist thinks you are 'cured' after one or two sessions. In the past I have emailed the therapist before a session explaining ALL(bad and good) of my problems from birth right up until present day. This allows the therapist to understand you as a whole and where you need the help.Try not to hold back even if your past is embarrassing or you think (or have) done something wrong
I have started taking lexapro and ambien to help me sleep. I have had extreme anxiety and I have xanax but I want to wean myself from xanax. I was taking .05mg before I go to sleep. I think its the lexapro causing the anxiety, I just started taking it but I'm only taking 2.5mg of lexapro for about two weeks and I went up to 5mg and thats when I got hit by extreme anxiety. At the same time I am try to cut down on the xanax. Is there a proper way of cutting back on the xanax without the without the withdrawals? Thanks for your help
This is my second run in with this horrible drug.  The first time was only taking .25 mg 2 times a day.  Was on it for around a year untill my doctor would not give me any more?  Told me to see a shrink, and really wasn't up for that.  Withdraws were hell think they lasted around a week or so.  But also drinking heavily at the time.  Didn't take them for like 4 years or so and here i am now.  Taking 3 .5 mil a day and down to my last one and think about quitting again cold turkey.  I now what i'm in for and this is probably not the best way, but fear that if i go to the doctor to get a new script that i'll just keep abusing them and end up in the same place.  Feel for all who take it, have lost all sexually drive and most of the day wondering were my pills are no more!  Whis me luck
I started taking Xanax in December due to severe insomnia.  My doctor tried Ambien at first but after only a few doses I was suicidally depressed.  I finally convinced my doctor to prescribe something that wasn't addicting.  That's when he prescribed Xanax.  He assured me that the chances of addiction were very low.  I started with a .5 mg dose which worked well for several weeks.  I only needed it 1 or two nights a week.  It's now March and I'm up to a .20 mg dose and it's not putting me to sleep at all.  So much for not being addicting.  I know that I need to break the cycle.  It's going to be tough because I'm still having a terrible time sleeping.  I've been on therapy for the last two months but that's not proving to be too helpful.  I'm told that I don't sleep because I don't want to sleep.  WHAT?  Seriously, I love the torture of not sleeping.  Why would anyone choose this?  Today I'm seeing a sleep doctor.  I hope he can offer me some hope.  Say a little prayer for me!  Sleepless in New Mexico.
I am going to be starting my xanax wean down this friday, wish me luck.  this is my third run in with the drug, but  my worst experience on it.  the other two times i did not take it long enough to have any withdrawls when i quit cold turkey.  but this time i have been on it for 6 months and although im only on 0.5 mgs a day i am needing it every day or i feel really sick and over anxious and my nerves get real tight.   my headaches increase too.  the nurse told me on the phone when i called to tell them about this that this is so true and she also had the same symptoms on xanax and had to wean off each time she got these symptoms.  they are tough.  i needed it for anxiety to help me sleep.  i lost a child four yrs ago and that is what started all this.
I like a fool got addicted to xanax again.Let me just tell all of you what kind of drug your really deally with! In 2009 I went to rehab to get off heroin for the last time and i've been clean for over a year I also was addicted to xanax which I thoought there was no such thing,I thought I knew everything about drugs.So lets get to the point the rehab gave me adavant for a few days for the heroin withdraws I was in a 3 month treatment center I was out of the detox ward and in the residental side.I had been off xanax 2 weeks all day I dident feel good I could not see 4 feet in front of me my pupils were all black no color in my eyes by the end of the day I had a GRAND MAL SEZURE!!!!!! This drug is no joke and it took me 6 months of hell (withdraws) I would take the heroin withdraws over xanax ones and let me tell you heroin withdraw is nomjoke so if you get my point xanax is wicked! Now like a fool my dog died and I started to take xanax again im up to 8, 1 milligram pills a day more if i can afford it.Now I'm terrified on how im going to wean down and not have another sezure I guess Im going to cut down slowly ive researched and thats what they all suggest So what Im trying to say to everyone stay away from these pills if you know anything about them they were only made for 2 week consumption if anyone has any suggustions (nurse,doctor) or an old pro like myself im up for any suggestions thanks Stephanie By the way Im only 30 and finally got clean but the xanax pulled me back in and heroin addicts only 1 percent stay clean im the one percent but the dammm xanax couldent stay away the worst one the one that can kill me during withdraws plus the sheer torture wish me luck or say a prayer for me thanks again for listening------Stephanie
  You know what all you people are a bunch of pansies Xanax is no where near as severe to withdraw from as narcotics The problem is that you sissies can't deal with a little anxiety. If you want to know what painful withdrawal is try getting off Methadone. Try climbing the walls for 30 days with no sleep and not feeling right in your head for 3 or 4 months and coughing it out for 6 to 8 months. You do this to yourselves.
And I take it u didn't do that to urself. Just because u have had a bad time don't say people withdrawing from xanax are not suffering and who r u to determine their level of discomfort, every person is different.  Your level of compassion is just breath taking, I bet every person in this forum past and present are extremely grateful you r not their brother, father, son, husband.  Compassion and empathy costs nothing in this life and is what makes u human. Maybe being on drugs has blinkered ur humanity.  
This is a popular thread, so I thought I'd put the entries from another thread here to help people out there who feel overwhelmed. I have been off of xanax for a little over a year, and I feel so much better. I believe the xanax was worsening my anxiety symptoms over time from tolerance and then withdrawal. It does get better. Below are posts from over a year ago about my experience. I wish there were more personal experiences on the web, so people would know what it's like. Before reading, my advice is to have a doctor monitor you throughout the process, be honest with yourself, and keep a daily journal to track successes and set-backs. Reward yourself for each day you get through and remind yourself you are going to feel much better in a few months (or even sooner depending on how slow you want to taper off the medication).  Also, do not read entries from people who tell are saying that xanax is not addictive. It's an absurd statement. Xanax is a highly addictive medication due to the short half-life, quick entry into the bloodstream, and the potency of the drug. The withdrawal can make you feel crazy, but knowing this ahead of time, you can prepare yourself and get through it. Good luck.

12/11/09
I am having a lot of anxiety about coming off my xanax xr, but it does not seem to be working anymore... I want to be completely off medications, because I'm receiving LENS neurofeedback as well as Jungian therapy, and my stress levels are low (part-time job, no significant life changes right now). Maybe in the future, if needed, I'm thinking Valium would be safer. I've been on forms of anti-anxiety medications since fourteen years old, and I wonder if it has contributed to the GAD (tight throat, racing thoughts, heart palpitations, tremor). However, I also have a history of trauma, and am hoping to resolve that with therapy. What is the best way for me to come off of the 1mg BID xanax xr (1mg in am and 1mg at 3:30pm) I've been taking for 3 months now. Prior I had been on Klonopin .5mg TID for about three years. I have already discontinued the xanax immed. release .5 mg to sleep at night (but I took it as intermittently as possible) and I've been taking benadryl 50mg (I wake up a little depressed though) to sleep which helps me a little. I just want to feel healthy, but I'm terrified of the withdrawal; I've been through other withdrawals in the past (effexor was the worst). How can I do this in a way that is safest, and what can I expect so I don't run to my regular xanax when having withdrawal? Any advice would be super appreciated. I have been given .5 mg xanax xr (90 pills) and have1mg xanax xr (34 pills) left from my previous prescription to taper at "my discretion" by my pdoc. My pdoc does not seem concerned about withdrawal, and because of the way I was switched from klonopin (.5 tid) to xanax xr (at first just 1mg q day stopping klonopin right away), I question his understanding of benzos (it was very rough). Also, since I've been on it for three months, how long should I expect to feel withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation and while titrating down. Thank you.

12/12/09 I actually started taking a .5mg this am and I've have definitely already begun to feel uncomfortable (everything seems to overstimulate me, and I had to run out of a store this afternoon). Lights and noise are aggravating, and it's weird, because I've always already been a little sensitive to lights and noise ( I get nauseated usually). It feels a little foggy and only day one. I'm trying not to catastrophize though. I will keep looking for the doc and look into the forum's you suggested. Thank you for the support. Thanks for the suggestion cornyguy, too. I think if it gets bad enough I might ask my doctor to take me the route of valium to get off. I read an article from the UK where that's what they use consistently because of the super-long half-life. I'll keep updated. I hope to be able to give people a straight answer on how long the worst of the withdrawal lasts. I know it starts to get bad around day three, but from there I haven't been able to find anything. Peace.

12/16/09 Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind if I start to have any stronger reactions to the withdrawel, especially when I drop the one I take in the afternoon. I'm a little anxious about that one, because night is not a good time for me. Last night I tried to sleep without taking the two benadryl, and before I knew it I had been lying awake for two hours in a half-sleep state. Very uncomfortable and weird. My mind was just going going going. So I took the benadryl, and that never fails to make me pass out, because I'm uber-sensitive to medications. I appreciate the feedback.

4/27/11 Just an update. I did make it through my tapering schedule and have been doing great. I used a notepad to track daily withdrawal symptoms and would put a little smiley face each day of the week I made it through. I took my time and tapered over three months (I believe). I tracked everyday. It was worth it. :) For anxiety, I do not need anything during the day anymore. I only take an ativan to help me sleep at night. My anxiety worsens then, naturally, and is aggravated by chronic pain I am currently trying to get help for. So, for anybody going through what I did, keep it up. You will get through it.

Today's Post: For information purposes, I took 1mg Xanax XR in the am and again in the pm. My schedule for Xanax XR Tapering: Month 1: .5mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Month 2: I dropped to 0mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Month 3: I dropped to 0mg in the am and .5mg in the pm. The next drop was the most difficult. I started to take the .5mg every other day. I did this for three weeks (I waited until the I felt normalish) The next step was .5 mg every three days. I did this for two weeks. Then, I just stopped. FYI: I had 0.5 mg pills I was using during this tapering schedule. You cannot cut xanax xr in half. You can cut regular xanax in half and taper more slowly.

I took a long time to come off, but I did it this way so there was less of a chance that I'd feel like I couldn't do it and have a set-back. It also allowed me to keep working. On the three days following any drop in dosage, I'd have the worst withdrawal symptoms. I'd get through those three days, and slowly things became more tolerable. I used benadryl (2 of them) at night to help me sleep. I took long, hot baths. I napped. I avoided driving, because the car made me sick. Basically, I did a lot of self-pampering when I could while still having to go to work. It was hard, but it is less hard when you realize you can do it, that other people have done it (even someone like me who had Panic Disorder and PTSD) and it will be okay in the end. Good luck, and feel free to message me if you need support.
How are you doing? I saw your post and I am in the same boat how did you get off the Xanax?

blueraccoon
New to form, I've been on Xanax for about 7years, I started because I had very mild anxiety, and I havent really figured out till, recently maybe because of withdrawing from people, and things like my dad dying,tramatized me, that is when I started using them, I was a Lively person before alot of things happened in my life, then i started being fear of people,leaving house,scared of talking to people and etc..well, I think one part to recovery is to firgure out why you started taking them to begin with? but I didn't figure out why till now. I didn't go to a doc. at first, it was actually a so called friend that enouraged me to take one of hers,BIGGEST mistake I made, I'm sure I would have got over my anxeity with time..Well, I started numbing my self from the death of my dad, and also the fear of dying like he did.plus other things..started getting my meds from her,then through doc. then they cut my off, then went to a phsycotrist. The tried to give me other meds, every to weeks, but nothing worked, i think i was just addicted to them already. so finally they ok'd it. now that I have become closer to God, I dont want to keep taking this med. I also was a smoker for 14yrs, never was able to quite, till of course,God :) and a lovely thing called Nicoderm cq..Now I thought smoking was the hardest thing to quite. boy,I was wrong, I also, was scared because I stopped having my period for 1 yr and 1/2 due to xanax! I was at first taking 2mg-3mg a day, last few years I have reduced,to 1.5mg a day,sometimes .5/day to none for a day or two,then i feel the withdraws and i take the meds and mg my body needs. It is a Long, process, I dont take other meds to relieve the withdraw. God, is my doctor, in helping me quite. I think that by the time Im done off completly, it will be half the time I used it for the 7yrs,so probably 3-3.5years to correctly wean off. without putting myself through terrible withdraw periods, and the after period of 6month-1year to fully feel recovered from the time of completly weaning off.xanax.
I Have Been On 2mg twice a day for a year and a half and as all of you know that really means that is what is said on the bottle, it was more like 4-5 a day on weekends and you deal with your decision is a bad way during the week, this has been a battle and finally i was able to get up the strength to tell my real doc not the one i go to for these what i had been doing and ask for his help to stop, he knew i took them but nothing like i was really taking, i am 27 and have a 1 year old daughter and wife and this drug has taken over my life, my memory is shot, i cant sleep at night, i always feel uneasy and know that this is not the person i am and had to do something to change it.  I told my doctor exactly how much i was on and what i was taking and how long and told him that i was scared to get off this because my best friend actually had a grand mal seizure a few month ago because he went wild one weekend and took 8 a day for 3 days and ran out.  So my doctor gave me a very strict instructions to get off them and a map of how t taper off, and gave me a prescription for the .5 and so far so good, the first couple days was rough and i woke up at 4 am and had to take a .5 because i felt like i was on speed or something when i suddenly woke up drenched in sweat, its 1 day at a time and i work for a law firm and deal with angry people and a lot of stress every day and that makes this worse. I am taking this day by day and the one thing i will tell anyone who reads this is to get off of this now and dont start if you are thinking of it, i was put on it for anxiety disorder but it has caused my anxiety to jump to levels i have never thought were even possible i feel like i have cheated my daughter out of her father for the 1st year of her life, although i have always been their i feel like it was a shell of me and i have hard times remembering the details. i beg you if you have gotten sucked in like i was to get the help and get out, dont loose your sanity for a relaxing feeling or some anxiety, it can be dealt with in better ways than a pill that changes the way your brain should work and you need those feelings to separate xanax world and reality.
Hi, I am in the process of watching my boyfriend detox off xanax.  I have seen him take anywhere from 4mg a day to literally over 30.  I know that sounds extreme because, well, it is.. however, he hasn't had any in the past four ays and his side effects are extreme.  I cant sleep in worry that he will sudden;y stop breathing or have a seizure.  Is there anything I can do to help to make this process easier?  I have read many articles and ALL of them say to not quit abruptly but he has no other option as he has no more and cannot get his script filled.  Most times he goes to the street to acquire some but appears those have run dry as well.  I am very scared.  Please help....any advice?
Hi Lizzy,
I am not in the medical profession, but from personal experience I can say that the kindest thing for your boyfriend is medically supervised detox. There are places for people with and without insurance. If he has taken up to 4-30mg/day, this is very dangerous. Yes, he can have a seizure from stopping abruptly according to the information you read on Xanax withdrawal online. Also, I had a good friend who was taking xanax like this who experienced seizures.

One resource is to dial 2-1-1 on your phone. That is for United Way Referral. They can give you places to start. The trick here is whether or not your boyfriend wants the help in coming off of the xanax. He really needs to be under doctor supervision. Not only is it safer, but they may be able to make him more comfortable with medications to help with the withdrawal.

I am sorry you are having to watch someone you care about go through this. The only thing you can do for him is help him get into detox and then treatment for the addiction and to be a support for him. However, I do not know your individual situation. Dealing with something like this is hard, and as someone who went through a similar situation, I know that in the past I went to a good therapist that helped me get through the emotional trauma I was experiencing from watching a loved one go through this. It is just something to consider.

Remember to take care of yourself. Feel free to message me if you have trouble finding resources in your area, and I can try to help to look for some.
Hi I just read this and found it very interesting.  I have been struggling with sleep for about 6-7 months now.  Tried  a few antidepressants but couldn't take the side effects. Now I'm on Seroquel, 50 mg.  It seems to be working although I am still having to take some zopliclone to get to sleep.  I figure I'll be able to go without the zopiclone soon.  When I read your message I said to myself, this is a way for me to get off Seroquel, and for something to use in the future.  Your combination of Motrin PM, GABA, Valerian, and Natural Clam make great sense to me and I hope I can try it out soon.  Can you substitute Motrin PM for Tylenol PM or Advil PM?  And what kind of OTC sleep aid did you add to this combination?
Amandag78 commented on travel_melb's status
1 hr ago
Amandag78 commented on nonights's status
1 hr ago
cctailor commented on Tramadol & Ultram...