What can this be ?
Hi !!

I am new to this forum and I need some help/advice on my anxiety situation.

I am a 22 yr old male, my anxiety problems started four years ago. It was a strange situation, I had a muscle problem in my groin, after going to my GP for evaluation he told me that he couldn't find anything serious and it should go away in a while. The pain persisted, I kept going back to the doctor and he told my the same thing. So I turned to the Internet for help, after searching web for a week or so I got my solution. It was indeed a muscle pull and found an appropriate exercise for it. However the bad news was I had acquired anxiety/tension during this period. The anxiety was accompanied with crazy muscle twitching(which still happens especially when i'm anxious).

I've been worrying ever since. I wouldn't say that the worrying had kept me for doing regular stuff but a "what if" thought could jump into my head in an instance. If a person got diagnosed with cancer I'd thoroughly exam myself for symptoms, I'd self diagnosed myself with MS ALS and god know what not. It's not only limited to health anxiety, say a train gets derailed or something, the next day I'll start panicking what if something happens to my dad (since my dad travels by train). When the doomsday was predicted in 2012 It really made me worry, I felt if that happens then my ambitions will remain unfulfilled.

I've told my parents about it and have scheduled an appointment with a psychologist on Saturday. I thought telling them would be easy but it turned out to be really difficult. Not because they reacted negatively or something but now after the appointment with the psychologist I'm getting flooded with what ifs. Things like "what if I go completely crazy?", "what if I the doctor says that I'll have to check into a rehab?", "what if this condition affects my career?".

I'm very tensed right now and would like to know what could this be and how would it affect me and can this be managed.

Thanks.
You seem to have gathered a textbook case of panic. Thats good, because the answers are easy.

Large amounts of people fear they are going crazy. Like, very large. Type "feel like im going crazy" into google to see what I mean. No one has ever gone crazy from that.

The What If thoughts are some of the more dangerous. You should focus on now, on something to do. Because those are the destructive thoughts. Those are the ones that turn "my chest hurts" into "heart attack im going to die now" fear levels.

Finally, about the december 2012 thing. The mayans never said the world would end. It just starts a new era in their weird and complicated calendar. These werent predictions. The records have been badly distorted, due to cannon-related issues. Cannons cause lots of trouble to things carved in rock.

Also ask yourself: How many people have predicted the world would end, across all of human history?

And how many of them were right? Exactly.