Anxiety Community
What doctor to see?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

What doctor to see?

Who should I see about this anxiety. I have been putting it off for too long and we will be taking a trip this summer and my anxiety always acts up during travel. So should I see a psychologist or psychiatrist? There are so many more psychologists in my area but they can't prescribe anything right? I just dont want to be on meds I want help so I dont have to be!!
Hello Bri, and welcome to MedHelp and the Anxiety Forum!

Can you tell us a bit more about your anxiety?  Describe it?  How long have you had it?  And, have you tried anything up to this point to address it?  Any medical issues or medications you take?

Psychiatrists are medical doctors who have the ability to prescribe meds, where a psychologist would offer therapy and cannot Rx medications.  A lot of times people utilize both.  I have always gone to an office that was sort of a "one stop shop".  My p-doc was there and managed my meds, as well as my therapist..and the two kept each other up to date on my progress and any issues I was having.  I really liked that set up.

You can most certainly try a non-medication approach first.  Usually therapy is very helpful.  There are many ways you can treat anxiety, just try to keep an open mind and be open to suggestions.

Best of luck...keep us updated!
Well then see a psychologist,should he/she think you really do need meds as well you can then see a psychiatrist about that.Lily
I have always been a worrier but after I had my second baby it went into full force. I was so scared of getting sick and dying and leaving my kids. I am definitely a hypochondriac and that has been a lot worse lately too. I had my first panic attack last year and it was not fun. Since I have had racing heart and times I am so anxious I just can't seem to get out of it. My husband lost his job- which caused major stress and although he found a new one it pays less and was far away. This meant we needed to relocate and that also caused a lot of stress and still does since I miss where we use to be so much.

I do deep breathing exercises and meditation as of now. If I do it all the time it does help but does not make the anxiety go away. Just that anxious feeling.

Lily- thats a good idea.

I wish there was a place that had both. I am not looking for meds but I did take xanax when I fly and I know how much that helps. So it would be nice to have some when I get really anxious and can't get out of it for days.
4Maddie44 commented on Voices in my head
4Maddie44 commented on Whatever
mishymoshymarcy "Emotions are only a tempor... Comment