Anxiety Community
What is klonopin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

What is klonopin?

Exactly what does Klonopin do? I've had anxieties for 7 years and will try just about anything to get rid of them. I've tried Zooloft, I was on Paxil for about 6 years, and I'm currently on Hydroxyzine HCL.
ANY suggestions please!
People much smarter than I can tell you EXACTLY what it does, but, having taken it myself for anxiety (and it is an "old standby") I can tell you it suppresses the panic attacks. I noticed few other effects -no headaches, drowsiness, tummy aches or any of that. You don't feel 100% yourself, but you DO get releif from those staggering, knock-down attacks. Best to have therapy along with it so you can figure out why you have the panic in the first place -get rid of it, and not need the med anymore either.
It's a benzodiazepine like xanax, ativan, Valium..  The generic name for it is clonazepam.  It is supposed to work well for those of us who don't do so well on SSRIs for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks.
I too have taken Klonopin for the occasional anxiety.  There are lots of meds like it but Klonopin is a little different because it takes longer to take effect and it lasts allot longer.  If I am feeling really anxious I can take a 1/2 of one (.25mg) and I don't feel any side effects.  I have had a prescription for over 10 years and I maybe take 5-10 a year, just knowing I have them to take if I need too can stop me from feeling anxious.

I was told to take it everyday when my anxiety got bad this winter - I chose not to, but many people take it regularly for their Anxiety - It can be addictive so if you do this you may end up needing higher doses or going through withdrawals when you stop.  Even so when anxiety is bad it can cripple you, at my worst of times I would not hesitate to take it whenever I needed it and it gave me tremendous relief!  Good luck with your journey, take care, Erin
Good luck with your anxiety. I know it is debilitating.
I take .5 mg, which is half of a 1 mg tablet. I have taken them when I had panic attacks and lately since I have NOT been taking a SSRI ( until today) I would take 1 mg daily and now I just take .5 mg. Been taking them for a couple years now
Klonopin is a benzo, highly addictive, so you can build tolerance. I am fortunate because I have NOT and have no desire to increase my use. But even taking a small dose like I am, stopping abruptly is NOT good.
Now that I am back on an SSRI, I am going to decrease my use with my psychiatrist's help. But benzo's do help with panic.

Hitman60
Klonopin is a drug to treat panic attacks and seizes (You don't have to have seizes to take it for panic attacks and vice versa). I was originally on Zoloft for anxiety and found it ineffective, but then I was given Klonopin to take with it. I found that they are a great combination and have been anxiety free for the past 7 or 8 months. It's really hard, and important, for you and your doctor to find the right combo for you.
gyspy09 hope everyone is great!! Comment
8 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on photo
TinaR10 commented on renae176's status