Anxiety Community
What is the difference between Luvox and Lexapro?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Can anyone tell me in detail to what the main difference is? My shrink told me they are basically the same and that Lexapro is like a next gen luvox (better version) I have had a lot of success with Luvox for the past 7 years but its makes me irritable and sleepy but other than that it helped my anxiety and severe panic disorder. At the moment i am suffering from depersonalization and panic attacks so my shrink put me on Lexapro for it saying its faster and has less side effects. Does anyone have any experiences these two medications?
Well, they are both in the same class of meds, but that doesn't mean they are exactly the same or even close.  All of the drugs in this class work to achieve the desired effectiveness in a slightly different way.  Their mechanism of action varies from med to med.

I've not heard of Lexapro being the "new Luvox", maybe he just means that Luvox was one of the first SSRIs released to the market?  It is one of tje older SSRIs.  Is the doctor a psychiatrist?  If not, I recommend having one manage your meds.

All you can do is give it a try to see how you feel.  How did your doc propose making the switch?
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms