Anxiety Community
Why Do Pain Killers Help My Anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Why Do Pain Killers Help My Anxiety?

Over the summer i broke my arm and i was on Vicodin. I was on a very low dosage 5mg every 2 hours, eventually that stopped working and i increased to 15 mg every 4 hours. I have always had very high anxiety and nerves. Sometimes I think that i am going crazy. I feel like i am in a dream sometimes and everything if fake. I study things so hard i see it in a different way and it scares me. I only get panic attacks once a week or so but they really cause more and more damage each time i have one. I could list my anxiety/nerve problems for days and days. Currently I am on 50 MG of zoloft per day i cannot tell a difference. My Dr. refuses to put me on anything but Zoloft or Paxil and paxil gives me multiple panic attacks per day that lead to seizures. Each time i ask my dr about a different medication she automaticlly thinks im a "pill-pheen" Im not though and its rather embarassing so i just stopped asking and hope maybe one day this zoloft will fix my problems. I have also seen a phychiatrist and it didnt really help, i dont have any problems i live a happy life and no childhood drama I just have bad anxiety and i have no idea where it comes from. My question is why is it when i take Lortab i have no worries, anxiety, stress, panic attacks & and i dont feel as if my nerves are shot? Is there any kind of Medication for anxiety that can give me the laid back feeling Lortab does and if not would you suggest any Medications that could treat my problems? Thanks alot!
I have anxiety also and I self-medicated with codeine, vicodin, and percocets for a few years and it does help. It's because it has an effect on dopamine and opiod receptors. I wouldn't doubt that now or in the future they will be developing medication to target these receptors. Alcohol is good for anxiety also but doesn't mean it's the best medicine for it. lol.
   I think it helps because it relaxes your muscles. I've been given ATivan for my panic attacks, but I've also taken it for migraines because I believe they come from the same source. I'm surpised you can take that much medecine. A lot of us are scared of our medications. Not for any particular reason, just our brains working overtime.Good luck!! Love...
I go through periods or phases where I am scared to take an over the counter med or even certain foods or really any drugs but then have phases where I will combine many different illegal drugs and not worry. When I was taking Lexapro I was self medicating with hydrocodone bought of the internet for over a year and added weed to the mix plus the valium. Looking back I can't believe that was me doing all that but you just get there and don't realize it at the time. It's strange. The pills were my magic pill then I gave that up and the weed was my magic depression and anxiety solution but that stopped when the panic attacks happened while smoking. Had to kick the weed 2 months ago after 2 years of heavy use because I got 3 panic attacks while I was high and this was when I was switching my med from Lexapro from 2 years to Luvox. A week on the Luvox huge panic attack so I switched to Paxil, then boom smoked and another panic attack. Went back to Lexapro, stopped the smoking and the Lexapro didn't seem as effective. Gave up the ganja altogether for 2 1/2 months now and trying to stabilize myself on Zoloft and just Valium twice a day. I do have addictive behavior and for some reason weed makes me freak out and other times I can smoke it no problem but I think it's best for now that I don't if not forever if I can. Just weird how my brain goes through phases on it where it can handle large amounts no problem then boom a little puff and panic and anxiety. It all happened when I got off the lexapro and switched. Probably best anyways-my life was revolving around the ganja and could of been fueling my anxiety or helping me run from problems or anxiety's. Who knows? Sorry, little off topic and ranting.
I cant smoke pot either, it gives me massive panic attacks. Thats actually how it all started and now that im reading these posts. My brain works overtime massively I never knew how to word it i just thought i was crazy and no one would know what i was talking about. Thanks alot for your responses though. I have an appt with the dr Monday to see about getting something besides zoloft. My dr is real picky about what time of drugs she gives out though she thinks everyone coming into her office is on a search for narcotics.. Which when it comes to Hydrocodone shoot yes if someone has them ill take them only because they help. I just need something to help.
I am the same way with pain medication I have a realllly bad back and the pain cause me to be tense all the time and it causes alot of my aniexty and the pain pills help me alot more than the celexa and i understand they are not good for you, but i just cant take it sometimes, anyways my question is , is it okay to mix celexa with pain pills?? because lately i have been taking them with it and now i have a lump on the side of my neck that really hurts , could that be a bad reaction from mixxing medication ? NOTE- my doctor doesnt know i take Somas or norcos.
Pain killers actually give me panic attacks. The only thing that works for me is xanax. I suggest that you go to a different doctor but never go in there saying i need this pill or something like that just tell them the truth each doctor has their own methods.
   Have you been tested for bi-polar disorder? My aunt is bi-polar and the whole point of it is having two different sides instead of just anxiety or just depression. She'll get very happy (manic) and then get very sad. She also tried to medicate herself for the pain and ended up doing and saying things that just arent' her.
gyspy09 going to stay off here for ... Comment
57 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy Im falling, i knew this tim... Comment
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...