Aa
A
A
Close
Why do I feel trapped in my own skin?
Recently, maybe the last few months, I have been having trouble with feeling trapped in my own skin. I think the best way to describe it is a restlessness that moves throughout my body, usually starting from my legs or shoulders and moving from there.

I believe that the best way to explain it is that I have claustrophobia, going anywhere from tight spaces to having to remain in a single place for too long without being able to get up. It's like the start of a panic from claustrophobia, a restlessness that I usually take as a warning that I'm coming up on my limit and I need to get out of the area or at least move and walk around to remind my brain that I am not trapped.

I've tried getting up and moving when it appears, just like I do when I need to calm down my claustrophobia, but it's much more constant and it feels impossible to get rid of. It's especially frustrating when I'm laying in bed and I can't even sleep because it leaves me awake and struggling to stay in bed(I also have insomnia on top of all this, so I've been losing a lot of sleep lately).

Can anyone tell me what it's linked to? I don't really have anyone to ask or get advice from, so any at all would be really helpful.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
You need a professional therapist to learn how to stop thinking like this, before your phobias spread.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
973741 tn?1342346373
I have to wonder if this is not neurological from your description.  My son with sensory disorder describes something similar---  urge to move and feeling like his body is stimulated on the inside.  Sensory is neurologically based.  But then again, when you start to describe classic claustrophobia, that is psychological.  So, not sure what is going on but would consult with your doctor. Therapy to talk through this may be a great option for you.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
973741 tn?1342346373
By they way, just for the info, my son who has sensory has less of these internal feelings the more exercise overall he gets.  Weight lifting, pounding feet on pavement, swimming, all help him to be regulated and keeps his nervous system from having these movement urges.  
Comment
Cancel
I will try that and see if it helps or not. Thank you for the advice.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
20792078 tn?1507746876
I feel that maybe you have RLS. You need to go see a doctor to get some medication to help ease your symptoms.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
517872 tn?1506854164
Blank
senseanonymous Patience, truth, courage, F... Comment
22 hrs ago
973741 tn?1342346373
Blank