Anxiety Community
Why would anyone take xanax for Fun?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Why would anyone take xanax for Fun?

I don't feel high or think its fun to take xanax.  I hate taking it and it doesnt make me feel GOOD it just helps with my steadiness.  Never took drugs in my life for fun and this is bad  Would do anything to not have taken these from the start.  Drs. should be held responsible for what they prescribe.
Xanax is not suppose to make you feel "high" It's not ment to be "fun" Xanax does not work for everybody, everyone is different  and reacts differently to medications. There are people out there who suffer from legitament anxiety that is disruptive to their everyday lives. This medication can be helpful if used in an appropriate manner and under a doctors care.
Xanax is not fun for people that have to take it. I take 1.25 mgs a day of Xanax. Xanax is not supposed to make you feel good, it helps you through anxiety or panic attacks. The people that take Xanax for fun are the people that do not need it. It gives them a high feeling.
Doctors are accountable for what they prescribe. Xanax like Klonopin (which I take) is technically a controlled substance. Psychiatrists have to sign a triplicate prescription so that each and every record of it being prescribed is kept track of by the FDA. However, like any many prescriptions there is a potential for abuse. People who are irresponsible or have a potential for addiction may do this. Just look at the prescriptions people take in the pain management forum. They are all neccessary medications and the people take them responsibly but there are others outside of here who don't. Prescription drugs can be abused just like illegal drugs. But many of those people are self medicating for real problems. As for benzos Xanax has more of a potential for a person to build up a tolerance to it than say Klonopin (which I've taken ten years) and is generally intended for short term use but many psychiatric medications are abused if they end up in the wrong hands but that's another issue. That's why psychiatrists generally will not prescribe benzos to former substance abusers as there is too much risk. That doesn't mean they aren't safe to take. Don't confuse the issues.
The day any doctor gives xanax out to anybody just so they can have fun and feel high is the day that doctor becomes a drug pusher. Why do you imagine it should be fun, or that you should feel high?
Amber if it helps with your problems then I am not sure why you hate taking it?
I think I can understand both sides of this issue. In addition to suffering from panic attacks and anxiety I am also a champion insomniac of the very first rank :=(
I am rx'd klonopin 1mg daily and seroquel 100 mg at night.

Since I was a 18-19 years old I have suffered from anxiety attacks but I was too embarassed to get seen by a doctor. I am 28 today and just started seeing a doctor last year. I used to feel badly about taking benzos for my anxiety - No strike that...I used to feel guilty for taking medication because it was drilled into my head ever since I could think that a person must be self-reliant and that the need for a drug is a slur on a persons character....but you know what? I am better for them. My brain/body does not make whatever is required in order to live a normal life so if I have to take a pill to put me on an even playing field then that is what I am going to do. No more guilt and no more remorse because I can't wait forever to live life. I no longer care which label a small minded group of people might put on me. Do what helps you and don't worry about judgement from others. You deserve to have a happy life just like everyone else.
rogelio63 is feeling so normal that h... Comment
gymdandee commented on How much arsenic is i...
jgrubb75 commented on 5 year old son diagno...