Anxiety Community
Will I get my appetite back? How can I help it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hi, I've recently been very stressed over money, losing a house and lots of other things. I then developed a viral infection, which is starting to shown signs of clearing up. I've had major anxiety over the last few weeks and a couple of days ago started on a course of diazepam 2mg tablets, 3 x a day. Yesterday I started to feel better, but today I've been quite panicky again. I've not eaten properly for 8 days now, although I'm drinking etc. Whatever I eat I seem to have to force down. I'm not sick, just no appetite. Will this ever come back? Is there anything I can do to encourage it to come back? Sorry to post this, I just wanted to ask people who understand what it's like.
Yes it will come back. Like you had a bad stomach flu and had no appetite at all for a week, lost ten pounds that I didn't need to lose. Now I am suffering from anxiety because I never handled the stress in my life properly,Go figure LOL. I still don't feel like eating all the time but I make myself and I also take a multi vitamin everyday too. Do you have any other symptoms with your anxiety?
I get like this too when i am really stressed out!!!!!!!! but eventually it comes back
I too am having no appetite. I was super sick for 2 weeks (H1N1 and Pneumonia) and after I was well then for the next 3 weeks no appetite all due to anxiety. I see a psychiatrist for the first time tomorrow. I am going to ask her about helping my appetitie as well. Will let you know what she says.
Currently I write down everything I eat. I force myself to eat at least 3 times a day. More if I can. When I say eat I mean 5 or 6 bites of something or one of those applesauce cups you put in childrens lunches. I have been eating a lot of applesauce, and soup. I find chewing tiring, and my mouth has this stale taste to it.

I was prescribed clonazepam .5 mg 2x as needed, but I am too scared of side effects to take them. I had a problem (suicidal!) with the last med I was given (Ciltalopram).

How was the diazepam side effects? Ever taken it before? Have you ever taken any other meds (like SSRI types) before?
And were the side effects in the beginning tolerable?
Thank you for your repies. It helps weirdly to know I'm not alone and not abnormal. I basically have a viral infection, but becuase i'm so stressed and anxious it won't go away. It's nothing more sinister, but I convinced myself it was, even though it isn't! My anxious symptons were the usual tight chest, panic, sweating, thinking I had a lump in my throat when I don't, no appetite, general feeling of being uneasy and restless/panic. It's bloody horrible, especially as I've never experienced it this much before. The diazepam did help me yesterday to be honest. I felt less panicked. A little dry mouth syndrome, but that's about it. I woke up a bit panicky this morning and throughout the day have been worried, but not as bad. Taking my mind off of things and talking like this is helping me though. I am forcing myself to eat, but can't manage anything big. It takes forever to chew and swallow stuff as I think my mind is convincing myself not to eat. I so hope the appeite comes back soon. Thanks for your replies, I honestly appreciate it.
i know how ya feel ive been going through something sort of like that ive been stressing about my throat infection in teeth an gums an i couldnt eat for awhile i mean it isnt the first time i lost my appetite but it wasnt this bad an whats sad is i can seek help becuause i dont have any insurance :/ anywho whenever i eat i cant force myself to eat big meals i mean i eat but its something light i always tense up at dinner more thow an feel like i have to you know cant say the word right now because i just got thru eatting what i could force down anywho i know the feeling an i hope you get better but in the mean time pray for me an ill pray for you too an try to eat snacks throughout the day so you wont get to hungrey an be weak throughout the day an sleep alot like me because you dont have the energy an the best thing is laughter rent a funny movie try to get ur mind off of it an hopefully you will get better hope this helps an if you any advice for me please let me know thanks
TinaR10 commented on renae176's status
9 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on Yrmacias's status
9 mins ago
TinaR10 Some of my baby buys pic up... Comment
29 mins ago