Anxiety Community
Will my appetite ever come back?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Will my appetite ever come back?

I should already know the answer to this... and the answer is YES. But when you are going through a funk, you can't imagine it being possible.... and you need a little reassurance from anxiety sufferers. =)

I haven't had an appetite for about a week or 2 maybe... and its bugging the **** out of me. I've had a nervous for about a month pretty much due to some stressful work projects. But normal stress, I mean I would still eat on and off.

But for the past 2 weeks, I've been having a really nervous stomach, and havnt been able to eat almost anything. However, I'm 26 years old, 5'7 and weigh 130lbs.... so I don't wanna lose any weight. lol. So I've been MAKING myself eat...

For breakfast, if I'm not hungry at all, I'll eat a banana. For lunch, if I'm not hungry, I'll eat a P&J. For dinner, I'll just eat what I can.

So when I do eat, I'm not eating junk! And I am taking a vitamin everyday.

My stomach has been so nervous that when It kills my appetite... it makes me MORE ANXIOUS... and MORE NERVOUS... thinking thoughts like "I can't go forever w/out having no appetite."

It's a vicious cycle.

But my Dr. upped my Lexapro back to 5mg from 2.5mg... and he said see ya in 2 months.

Today I'm actually feeling better.. my stomach isnt in knots as much.

So maybe my appetite will start coming back soon?

You guys think it will? Is this normal with anxiety and a little depression?

Thanks!
In my experience, when we are dealing with anxiety we definitely have peaks and valleys, so don't beat yourself up too much if you get into a funk for a little while.  In any experience we go through this is true; not just anxiety.  Will your appetite come back?  I believe it will.  I have gone through periods of prolonged stress where I did not eat much only to bounce back with gusto (Sometimes too much gusto:)).  So, just hang in there and keep working through this!  Keep us posted!
Thanks so much. =) I know it will come back. Atleast I'm making myself eat throughout the day. And I'm trying to fake it til' I make it.

I think this works a lot, even though hard to to at times.

But if you walk around with a smile on your face, even though you dont feel like it, you will be surrounded by smiling people. And say positive things... and people will more than likely say positive things back. =)

My stomach isnt as nervous today, and I heard/felt my tummy growl... so I think the nervous stomach is DEF. playing a major roll in this. lol.

When I'm relaxed... I know I'll be back in full appetite swing. =)

Thanks for listening cj29. Youre always the best.

I read this last night in an old Psychology Today magazine...it has helped me today realize that its ok to not always have an appetite and to not stress about it.  As my counselor said if you are hungry enough you will eat....LOL

If you bring mindfulness to bear on negative feelings, they lose their impact.  Just let them be there without struggling against them, and you'll eventually feel less anxiety and depression.  Don't banish your ngeative feelings, but don't let them get in the way of you taking productive actions either.  So if you are not eating and you realize it don't immediately let a surge of adrenalin go through your veings.  Just make note of it and remember you will eat and you will get your appetite back, possibly even tenfold!
I lost about 30 lbs late last winter/spring due to depression and anxiety.  I couldnt eat much each day and I started to worry.  But eventually my appetite did come back and so will yours.

I found that I was able to eat more moist things like apples, yogurt.  And I could down liquids so I drank Ensure (even the one with extra calories and vitamins) to boost my energy and vitamin level.  I found that I could drink them when they were nice and cold.

I decided I liked the weight off, so I have basically kept off.

Good luck
Thanks to the both of you for also responding.

I think I just have to think logically about it. When your stomach is constantly in knots... its going to effects things like digestion... appetite... and stools...

When the nervous stomach leaves (which it is beginning too) my appetite I'm sure will come back. =)

And you guys are totally right. My psychologist told me last year, you feel what you think. So If you think negative thoughts... you are going to get a negative feeling...

It's hard to change your thoughts or fears sometimes... but I think my anxiety... my body just finally says "Enough is enough.." and gets TIRED of being anxious... so I just suddenly get better.

Sometimes you just have to quit fighting with yourself... and ride the wave... til the evil fire burns out.
Feeling better! =) I think I have exited this evil spell once again...
Yesterday was a good day, and today is even a better day! =)
Appetite is slowly coming back as well. =)
hey i completely know what your going through. Even though you are feeling better now.
I have just recently started going through anxiety.
Harsh anxiety to.
Im 17 year's old.
I'm 6'0 tall - 150 pounds.
I can't bare to lose weight. So i eat even though nothing sounds good and i litteraly at times cant even chew my food.
God this is a vicious part of my life.
The thoughts that dont go away on there own.
Like "oh my god somethings wrong with me." Then my brain searches for something that could be possibly wrong with me.
It's very horrible. I recently went to a physiologist. She put me on 5 mg of buspar. That i take two of in the morning and night. It isnt completely in my bloodstream yet. I've only been on it for 4 days.
I'm just patiently waiting for this to calm down. So i can start going out and living my life worry free for once.
I never thought anxiety could be so crewl.
Or take over your life till i got it. (3 kinds of anxiety to.)
I am in this with you guys.
Good job on getting through it.
Hey there, I've just come across this blog while google-ing.. I've suffered from anxiety since I can remember and I've been medicated for it for 10 years; also, I'm unsure why but I've also had next to no appetite for 10 years, I've had 2 babies and I now weigh around 85Kgs, that's 15kgs more than I was 10yrs ago.. I usually eat one meal a day being dinner.. The rest of the day food doesn't even cross my mind. I'm told that if I force myself to eat many healthy meals throughout the day my energy will increase and I'll lose weight too.. What do you think?
jcwestfall commented on MedHelp's new iP...
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy Just be happy with how far ... Comment
10356 commented on opus88's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms