Anxiety Community
Will my ptsd ever go away?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Will my ptsd ever go away?

I have chronic/complex PTSD as well as OCD and ADHD.  I have suffered for the last 14 years and have tried therapy, inpatient counseling, meds, hypnotherapy, etc. and I still continue to have chronic symtoms (symptoms) which have only gotten worse over the years.  Each time I experience a new "stress" I am less able to cope and my symptoms get worse.  I have been unable to work for almost 2 years and still have constant nightmares, panic attacks, and flashbacks as well as extreme obsessions and compulsions.  I read that my brain may be permanently damaged because my trauma (abuse) started when I was very young (age 5) and continued for many years.  In addition, I was raped when I was 22 , had a son with two serious illnesses inutero and at 5wks, and we have been homeless twice.  Each time I am less able to cope and fell like I am losing it all together.  Will this be a permanent disablilty to deal with for the rest of my life or can I be cured? If it wasn't for my son, I would have given up long ago because no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to get over it and get better.
I'm sorry about all of that you have went through.  I was informally diagnosed with PTSD in college after going thru several things, divorce, house fire, abuse by a parent.  It can be very frightening.  I have anxiety now, and it comes and goes.  I stay on meds and go to counseling, which have made things better, but it's still there.  I think you should never give up.  Whereas we have anxiety, etc., other people are sick with cancer, etc.  This is our cross to bear.  Keep trying whatever your counselor/dr. recommends - get a new counselor/dr if you have to.  You may go through several.  I think you are going through a tremendous amount of stress right now.  Try to relieve yourself of extra stressors - be it people that aren't supportive, or whatever.  Hope you feel better - take care.
Tried, tried and tried.

And you have tried everything that is generally known to work.

But my instincts tell me that if you know the reason why you stopped therapy -why it wasn't working- we'll be able to make some educated guesses about where you go from here.

Can you enlighten us?

Meanwhile, yes, the PTSD CAN go away -it just takes some work.
Thanks for your replies.  Good feeling that someone listened and took the time to respond. (even if I panicked awhile thinking I had made a mistake when no one first responded and I thought I was in the wrong place)

I'm sure I'll learn how to do this with some practice and thanks to other advice from JS.

Oh-where is the best place to answer your questions about the therapy as I found it very long to explain and I just saved it to a folder instead of responding so I can figure out exactly the best way to do this without writing a book and scaring you off from the size of the post without you even knowing me.
Mia
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 28
mishymoshymarcy Who cares about what you sh... Comment
Sep 27
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 27
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms