Xanax. Brain Damage?
For about a year I have been taking Xanax to treat anxiety and panic attacks caused by adrenal fatigue. I have been reading that this drug can cause brain damage. But I take very little, and not on a regular basis. In an average month I use 3 mg to 3.5 mg. (I never take more than .50 mg. at any time.) Is it likely I will have a problem? Has anyone on the forum had bad side effects from such low dosages? Many thanks for your replies.
Correction. The most I take at any one time is .25 mg.
I've taken xanax for about 25 years but never exceeded  1 - 1.5 mg per day.
Although some people might disagree I have not experienced brain damage, nor any side effects for that matter.  
Everyone's panic attacks and anxiety probably differs but xanax helped me live a far more 'nomal' life Then I would have had without it without question.
I was on Xanax before switching to Clonazepam, which is virtually the same thing and have been on it for over a year and a half now, but I noticed no serious side effects from being on the Xanax for about 3 months with taking .5mg daily with maybe doubling up on harder days. My brain is working just fine!!! I hope..lol
As Dr. Gould always answered this question the mental health expert forum, nobody knows whether these meds can cause long-term damage.  Nobody's done the studies.  If you good protracted withdrawal syndrome, you'll come across a British psychiatrist who has done probably the most work on benzos.  According to her, benzos at the least cause the brain to lose its ability to learn to adapt to stress.  This isn't so important while you're on the med and it's working, it's more important when you stop taking it.  That's one reason they're so difficult to quit taking.  The very fact many people develop new problems when they quit taking meds that affect the brain suggests some long-term damage, but whether it's brain damage or just difficulty in the brain relearning how to operate normally again, the studies simply haven't been done.  
I have been on an xannx about three months now it's the 5 mg one  The only thing I do is take it when I have a close episode and that is the only time I take it at the most I have taken it is two times in the morning taking it wants and in the evening if I need it I am now going on Lexapro EXP are oh 10 mg but they're only gonna start me on 5 mg this will help my anxiety and panic attack's then I will   Basically stop taking Annex because from what I'm told it can be habit-forming I find if I take it two times a day it almost reacts with anxiety to have to take that second one that's why it's addicting be careful of this drug it does help believe me I know especially when you need it I'm they want me to cut down from  5 mg down to half of the pill and only take it when I need it because I will be starting the other medicine at 5 mg the lab Lexapro and let it gradually go in my system so that I'm taking one pill a day and it's a mild friend Zaidee and will make you feel normal again and have a life I had this reaction because I had steroids when I have bronchitis and it messed up my system this is the only  reason why I'm taking this but I will not stay on an active I don't need it it is addicting and I don't even want to see the study if it has anything to do the damaging the brain but yes it does have side-effects which is nervousness trembling called spells runny nose and a weakness very headaches those are symptoms of that medicine so that is why I am getting  Exapro 10 mg checking into it people it's mild and I'm only going to be taking 5 mg of this new medicine yeah have a good day
Gee, I said good protracted withdrawal.  That won't help.  I meant google.
Many thanks.
Many thanks.
Many thanks for including this data.