Anxiety Community
Xanax. Brain Damage?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Xanax. Brain Damage?

For about a year I have been taking Xanax to treat anxiety and panic attacks caused by adrenal fatigue. I have been reading that this drug can cause brain damage. But I take very little, and not on a regular basis. In an average month I use 3 mg to 3.5 mg. (I never take more than .50 mg. at any time.) Is it likely I will have a problem? Has anyone on the forum had bad side effects from such low dosages? Many thanks for your replies.
As Dr. Gould always answered this question the mental health expert forum, nobody knows whether these meds can cause long-term damage.  Nobody's done the studies.  If you good protracted withdrawal syndrome, you'll come across a British psychiatrist who has done probably the most work on benzos.  According to her, benzos at the least cause the brain to lose its ability to learn to adapt to stress.  This isn't so important while you're on the med and it's working, it's more important when you stop taking it.  That's one reason they're so difficult to quit taking.  The very fact many people develop new problems when they quit taking meds that affect the brain suggests some long-term damage, but whether it's brain damage or just difficulty in the brain relearning how to operate normally again, the studies simply haven't been done.  
Correction. The most I take at any one time is .25 mg.
I've taken xanax for about 25 years but never exceeded  1 - 1.5 mg per day.
Although some people might disagree I have not experienced brain damage, nor any side effects for that matter.  
Everyone's panic attacks and anxiety probably differs but xanax helped me live a far more 'nomal' life Then I would have had without it without question.
I was on Xanax before switching to Clonazepam, which is virtually the same thing and have been on it for over a year and a half now, but I noticed no serious side effects from being on the Xanax for about 3 months with taking .5mg daily with maybe doubling up on harder days. My brain is working just fine!!! I hope..lol
Gee, I said good protracted withdrawal.  That won't help.  I meant google.
Many thanks.
Many thanks.
Many thanks for including this data.
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
mishymoshymarcy Sometimes the things that a... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms