Anxiety Community
Xanax and Asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Xanax and Asthma

Has anyone taken Xanax that has asthma?  Did the medication affect the asthma?
Because we all react differently to medications, I would check with your pharmacist about any interactions, or call your doctor.  Take care...
It is not something I have myself. But it is not listed on the xanax fact sheet. But if you are taken antihistamines, which I assume is for asthma, then let you doctor know, as it may increase the effects of the xanax. Age might come into it as well. I doubt if you are 80 or even close on that. I would say the older the person is and if the breathing was really bad it may effect them. But a younger person should be ok. No doubt others will reply to your post as well.
My best friend takes Xanax and has asthma and she says it doesn't affect it. I would think it only would if you took too much or more than the recommended dosage.
I have asthma and I was taking small does of Xanax briefly to (and this is ironic) treat the adrenal fatigue caused by my asthma medication. The adrenal problem caused anxiety and panic attacks. I only took the Xanax when I felt an attack impending.

It did not affect my asthma and might have helped it. You know how upset you become when you have a spate of bad asthma. Your anxiety can actually make it worse. Xanax, by lessening the anxiety, helped. I learned this accidentally when I took it for the adrenal problem. I also noticed a very odd effect on my intolerance of cold. As an asthmatic, you probably suffer as soon as the cold wind hits you. I found, also accidentally, that with Xanax I could tolerate the cold. I am not exactly sure why.

The dosage of Xanax I was given was very small - only .25 mg. I found I could usually manage on just half a tablet. The less of that stuff you can take, the better. Also I never used it for maintenance, but took it erratically, on an as-needed basis. That is very important because it is highly addictive.

Since your are on this forum I presume your main problem is anxiety. Since an adrenal malfunction can cause anxiety, have you ever been tested for this? It is a simple saliva and urine test.

Let me add a caution here. Xanax is a respiratory depressant. The dosage I mention is very small. Given that I have asthma I would never take a large dose of Xanax or any other respiratory depressant.
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status
Kikster24 commented on Why You Might Have A ...
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status