Aa
A
A
Close
Xanax and Asthma
Has anyone taken Xanax that has asthma?  Did the medication affect the asthma?
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Because we all react differently to medications, I would check with your pharmacist about any interactions, or call your doctor.  Take care...
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
349780 tn?1309637558
It is not something I have myself. But it is not listed on the xanax fact sheet. But if you are taken antihistamines, which I assume is for asthma, then let you doctor know, as it may increase the effects of the xanax. Age might come into it as well. I doubt if you are 80 or even close on that. I would say the older the person is and if the breathing was really bad it may effect them. But a younger person should be ok. No doubt others will reply to your post as well.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1271743 tn?1320896061
My best friend takes Xanax and has asthma and she says it doesn't affect it. I would think it only would if you took too much or more than the recommended dosage.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
757137 tn?1347200053
I have asthma and I was taking small does of Xanax briefly to (and this is ironic) treat the adrenal fatigue caused by my asthma medication. The adrenal problem caused anxiety and panic attacks. I only took the Xanax when I felt an attack impending.

It did not affect my asthma and might have helped it. You know how upset you become when you have a spate of bad asthma. Your anxiety can actually make it worse. Xanax, by lessening the anxiety, helped. I learned this accidentally when I took it for the adrenal problem. I also noticed a very odd effect on my intolerance of cold. As an asthmatic, you probably suffer as soon as the cold wind hits you. I found, also accidentally, that with Xanax I could tolerate the cold. I am not exactly sure why.

The dosage of Xanax I was given was very small - only .25 mg. I found I could usually manage on just half a tablet. The less of that stuff you can take, the better. Also I never used it for maintenance, but took it erratically, on an as-needed basis. That is very important because it is highly addictive.

Since your are on this forum I presume your main problem is anxiety. Since an adrenal malfunction can cause anxiety, have you ever been tested for this? It is a simple saliva and urine test.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
757137 tn?1347200053
Let me add a caution here. Xanax is a respiratory depressant. The dosage I mention is very small. Given that I have asthma I would never take a large dose of Xanax or any other respiratory depressant.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
Blank
Arlington, VA