Anxiety Community
Xanax and Memory Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Xanax and Memory Loss

I have stopped taking Xanax. My memory loss was pretty bad. Do you know how long it will be before I get my memory back?
  • memory loss (3 replies):
    Which antidepressants cause the LEAST memory loss? Thank...[more]
  • Memory problems (12 replies):
    Which antidepressats cause the LEAST memory loss? Thanks...[more]
  • Memory Loss (5 replies):
    Hi I'm a 31 year old female on antidepressons called Cit...[more]
  • memory loss (7 replies):
    Hi does anyone out there seem to have short term memory ...[more]
  • MEMORY LOSS (11 replies):
    I suffer from Bipolar disorder and have found that many ...[more]
Namaste,

Memory loss comes as a surprise to meny people, especially when it is caused by a medication that you thought was going to help you. Putting together this list was difficult because drug companies do not seem to have a standard way of describing memory loss. It is refered to it as recall, anterograde amnesia, memory loss or simply forgetfullness.

Special attention should be paid by users of Xanax. Of all the drugs on the market, this drug has the highest incidence of memory loss in users.

As to whether memory loss due to the use of Xanax is permanent, there is still not enough data to make a definitive conclusion and is still being researched.

In the simplist terms, they don't know yet whether your memory loss is hort-term or permanent.

Michael(Jikan)
May I ask where you got your info from?  I know tons of people on xanax and im one of them.
i took 12mg xanax a day for 7 years. it caused severe memory loss. the neurologist said i had been going through life with amnesia. it is used before surgery for that purpose. after a year of withdraw i am still trying to find relief for migranes (migraines) and severe leg pain. my memory is very good now, maybe better than it ever was.  i use recall techniques to improve the memory. of course i'm real releived about that.  there are really good websites with info on xanax.
Yikes!  Will memory loss occur on a dosage of .25 mg twice daily?
that is such a tiny amount, i would'nt worry. but after what i've been through and have now learned about xanax, i just don't see any good reason to use it. except on a short term basis. you can research the web and get lots of info. xanax makes you feel amazingly relaxed and is amazingly addictive. but it's relatively easy to get and is big money for the pharmaceutical companies.
good luck!
But where did you get the info that it causes memory loss?  Show the proof please.
go to http://www.stormloader.com/bettyf/ i got there from internet explorer. google the word "benzodizepine" and go from there. please what ever you do never just stop taking them. you must tapper off very slowly. i do know that when i was scheduled for a routine colonoscopy they were going to give me an iv of a drug that was a "benzo" (that is what xanax is) the drug's purpose was to wipe my memory of the procedure. i will NEVER have even a tiny drop of that horrible drug EVER in my body again. yes there are tons of people taking them. people are totally uninformed.  oh yea. you'll understand.
I have been having sever memory loss and it dawned on me that it may be the zanax. I take ,25mg at night and maybe 1 time a day. but my memory has been so bad that I forgot appointments or even the conversation, meet people and never remembered meeting them and numerous other incidents..yikes..now I know.. I am getting off of it.
I get mine from Walgreens.!!!!!!! You act like we don't know what we're talking about but when you get it from that piece of paper you get with your prescriptions ,well,that information comes from the maker of the drug . I know because I have been on it for 2 years now and I get it every month [that piece of paper] when I get my pres, refilled            dusty637    
This is dusty637 again. That reply I just was to yhttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Xanax-and-Memory-Loss/show/577178#ou
TinaR10 commented on renae176's status
2 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
16 mins ago
TinaR10 Thanks for all the Prayers.... Comment
31 mins ago