Anxiety Community
Xanax for children?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Xanax for children?

My stepdaughter was recently diagnosed as having anxiety disorder based on severe stomach problems that don't seem to have a physical cause. My husband and I don't know all the particulars, since her mother took her to to the Doctor and has only provided us with the basic information on the visit and the results. What concerns us is that she was given a prescription for 0.25 mg of Xanax. Everything we have read says that it has not been evaluated for safety and effectiveness in children and is not generally prescribed for them. What we need to know is, is it ok for her to take them? Should we take her to see another Doctor and have something else given to her or should my husband speak to her counselor about the supposed symptoms, since they aren't something that we have ever encountered when she has been with us? Please give us some advice. Thank you so much for your time and help.
Tags: xanax
Hi there, welcome.  How old is your stepdaughter?

I would definitely seek a second opinion about the xanax.  It is not really the most approppriate medication...depending on her age.  It really isn't even indicated for use among teens either.

Hopefully your hubby and his ex have an amicable enough relationship where the two of them can discuss this.  Was it her pediatrician who prescribed it?

If so...I would insist upon a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in pediatrics before she starts anything.

Good luck....let us know how she is doing.  There are certainly options for her...but if it were MY child...I would be quite reluctant to give her Xanax, at least without consulting with a Pediatric ( or Adolescent, whatever the case may be) Psychiatrist first.

You mentioned a counselor....if she is in therapy...that is great...if not...that would be my next recommendation for sure.  Children tend to be very successful with psychotherapy.  That may be all she needs.

Take Care.
I've been on Xanax for years...but I would look at alternatives if it was one of my children, but then again, it was doctor-prescribed for your step-daughter...but there are doctors and there are doctors. How old is she?
Suzy
Thank you both for your replies. They were helpful and I will certainly look into a a pediatric psychiatrist and we are going to seek a second opinion. I forgot to mention that my stepdaughter just turned 9. I have a 9 year old son and after reading about xanax, I would not want him to take it, so I was very concerned for my stepdaughter's sake. Unfortunately, my husband and his ex are not on speaking terms at this point and we only found out about the meds when she came to stay for summer vacation. There was a bottle of pills and a short note explaining them.
Wow, 9 years old..Like Nursegirl said, .I would also definitely get a pediatric second opinion. That seems much too young for a prescribed medication like Xanax. I'm not an expert by any means, but have raised 3 children of my own and have a 9 yr old stepson and I would definitely try counseling before medication at that age for psychological/emotional issues. It is unfortunate that the two parents cannot get together on this for your step daughters sake. Ideally they could put their differences aside when it involves a child, but I know the real world isn't always like that.
I wish you the best of luck,
Suzy
Angelinaaa commented on Long standing dry mou...
29 mins ago
Frenchies commented on Long standing dry mou...
1 hr ago
specialmom commented on realjimmy's status
1 hr ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms