Anxiety Community
Xanax vs. Klonopin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Xanax vs. Klonopin

I had been on Xanax, taking three 0.25 mg. tablets a day.  I was tapered off this slowly and prescribed Klonopin, at one 0.5 mg. a day, which I was told would be better because it lasts longer.  From my experience, the Xanax was much more effective.  Has anyone else experienced this difference?
You're on just about the lowest dose possible.  I would ask your doc if you can try 0.5mg twice daily for a while and see if that helps.

The fact that your anxiety is worse during the day is classic of the need to dose the Klonopin twice daily.  Once a day just isn't covering you and you're experiencing some ups and downs.

Definitely talk with your doctor, it is not an unreasonable request and you've been on it long enough that you've given it a fair shake.

Let us know!
Are you basing it on the fact that you thought the Xanax worked faster than the Klonopin?  The klonopin takes a little while to kick in.  I have heard that if you chew it, it works faster but I'm not advising that...just something I heard.  The Klonopin will give you a longer lasting effect than Xanax so I think in the end you will find that klonopin works better.  Give it a few days.  
Many people have great success with Klonopin.  It is more effective if dosed at least 2 times daily (about 8-12 hours apart).  This is due to the long half life of the med and to allow it to properly build in the system.  Taking it at the same time a day is best as well.

Ask your doctor if you can try splitting up your daily dose into 2 doses (ie morning and night), and then give it some time.  Usually within a week you should notice some changes.

Good luck!
BTW, just generally speaking here, but always take a med as prescribed, if it is Rx'd orally, then take it that way, no chewing.  Some medications are time released and chewing or crushing a pill could interfere with that, causing a much larger amount to be released into the system all at once.

I know JGF25 wasn't suggesting that, but I wanted to be clear that something like that is never a good idea.  
Thanks for your input.  No, it was not that Xanax worked faster; it was that Klonopin, at 0.5 mg. at night probably helped me sleep, but during the day I don't see that it helps at all.  I've already been on Klonopin six months, so I've given it a fair trial I think.  I have never chewed it.
Thank you for responding.  No, I've never chewed Klonopin.
From what I've read, Klonopin is best taken two times a day. I've tried using 0.25 in the a.m. and 0.25 at night, but that didn't seem to help much.  Maybe 0.5 in the a.m. would be effective, but not having any at night might make it more difficult to get to sleep.  The only direction I have is to take 0.5 mg. daily.  The doctor said it would be OK to take Tylenol PM, so perhaps that would help me sleep so I could do the 0.5 mg. in the a.m.  I've tried the Tylenol PM, along with the 0.5 mg. Klonopin at night, and slept well.  I should question the doctor.

Let us know!
Thanks again for your wise advice.  
Hello, again.  I forgot to mention that on my visit to the doctor last week he prescribed 1/2 of a 25 mg. tablet (12.5 mg.) of Zoloft once a day.  Depending on how it goes, he planned to increase to one 25 mg. tablet a day at next appointment.  
Sounds good.  Be patient while you are waiting for the Zoloft to do it's thing.  That can take 4-6 weeks, longer if you are going to be slowly tapered UP to your goal dose.

I had a wonderful experience with Zoloft and so have countless others.  It's one of the more commonly Rx'd SSRI's for anxiety, especially panic disorder,
Thank you again.  What you say is very encouraging.
I currently take klonopin .05 mg twice a day, along with 100 mg Zoloft once a day.  I feel normal again.  The Zoloft was not working well enough by itself, and ativan turned out to be not a good long-term med for me.  Klonopin has been my 'savior'.  Given enough time for the body to adjust to it, it 'smooths out' and works beautifully. - Blu
Thanks very much for your input.  I'm glad this is working so well for you.  I will be patient and hope things start to look up.  Do you take the Zoloft in the morning?
Yes, I take 100mg Zoloft when I wake up.  It works all day.  I take the Klonopin when I wake up, and then again around dinnertime.
Thanks, again.  I hope the meds continue to work so well for you.
If your script only gives you a maximum daily dose, there should be no problem dividing the dose.  Only taking it at night never gives you a steady amount in your system.  I would ask the doctor for a change.  I'm sure he will agree to it.
You make a good suggestion to divide the dose.  I have read that Klonopin should be taken twice a day.  Many thanks.
4Maddie44 commented on Voices in my head
4Maddie44 commented on Whatever
mishymoshymarcy "Emotions are only a tempor... Comment