Anxiety Community
Xanax vs. Valium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Xanax vs. Valium

My doc is quick to prescribe me Xanax but refuses to give me valium.  Can anyone explain that?  When I take xanax all it does is make me sleep.  Valium relaxes me, takes away body pain, my mind is clear and I can focus...IT IS AMAZING.  

I took .25mgs of xanax for two weeks and had horrible w/d problems.  I've read several posts that Valium is less addictive and easier to w/d from.  WHAT IS HIS PROBLEM?
you do not say why your dr. will not give you valium? also I would only take one or the other not both, but really need more info. for any feedback. also how much xanax you take a day, and for anxiety or panic?
HIS problem is that he is a total MORON!
Irregardless of the reason you and your doctor feel you need to be on an antianxiety medication, YOUR doctor has no business prescribing psychotropic drugs for you as it is frighteningly clear he has NOT done his homework regarding the pros and cons of these meds, NOR IS HE LISTENING TO YOU!
Silverberg poses a good question. WHY does your doctor refuse to prescribe diazepam for you? Perhaps he just finished reading "Valley of the Dolls," rather than the latest copy of Lancet, and has gotten himself all spooked about Valium? I will assume you've told him the difference in how the two meds make you feel. If diazepam helps you to the extent you claim it does, it should be his drug of choice for you. It is by far the better and safer choice over Xanax.......but perhaps his kickbacks are greater with the Xanax. One should always consider that when the prescription pad comes out!
I would, POSSIBLY, give this doctor ONE last chance to redeem himself. Tell him you do not want the Xanax, that the diazepam is working very well for you, but if he still insists on prescribing Xanax, I would run, not walk, out of his office and find another doctor poste haste! Know that it is your right as a patient to refuse any medication your doctor prescribes. The days of doctors being on pedestals is long gone and many of them cannot tolerate an educated patient. Which is too bad since they could learn more from those of us in the trenches than the short-skirted, cleavage laden drug reps peddling their "flavor of the month" med.
Good luck and stick to your guns!
Peace
Greenlydia    
YOU SAID IT SISTER!  He does resent any type of input on my part.  Once I told him I did not like xanax he wanted to give me Geodon and others....I REFUSED and it made him mad.  He asked me "what do plan on doing then?"  I told him I would just do the best I could...he did not like that.

Since my post I have an appointment with a doctor who treats my bro-inlaw with valium and am hoping he will do the same.  Wish me luck.
So, this joker has had to put you in your place before, eh? Proof positive that your self-awareness threatens him. I'm glad you're done with him.

I do wish you luck with this new doc. He obviously does not have issues with diazepam and when you tell him your experience with your last doctor, which I hope you do, I'm sure he will be as astounded as I was.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you will let us know how things are going.
I also hope you stick around and post to others who are "fighting" with their doctors to get what they know is the best treatment for them. Your experience could be just the push they need!
Peace
Greenlydia  
mishymoshymarcy I am okay... Marcy, you are... Comment
remar commented on photo
lynnsee idk what to do Comment