Anxiety Community
Xanax vs. Valium

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Xanax vs. Valium

I understand that both are benzos.  What I dont understand is the negative response I get when I ask my doctor for valium but he is quick to administer xanax with no questions.  

The fact is both of these medications almost have identical chemical formulas.  However, they are still slightly different in the way the body metabolizes the drug.  Xanax is fast acting, and the half life of the drug is only 11 hours.  So after less than a day the entire Xanax dose is out of the body!!  ON the other hand, valiums half life can go all the way up to 100 hours to fully be excreted from the body!!!!!!  SO basically there is more chance of dependency and abuse of valium than there is xanax.  People tend to become more addicted and dependent on valium because of the longer effect on the body than Xanax.  As you keep taking more valium, the dose in your body is constantly going up because of the long time it takes your body to excrete it.  Therefor, people on valium tend to feel much stronger effects than people on Xanax,  And that my friend is the reason why your doctor does want you to have it.
This confuses me, because I have always heard that a longer 1/2 life  was LESS addicting ??? Docs seems to prefer klonopin over xanax for this reason...what am I missing?
It is obvious that I'm not a doctor but people in our situation seem to know the basics on stuff like this but I too thought that the longer the 1/2 life the less addicting.  Take the pain med Lortab..it has a very short 1/2 life and is currently the most abused drug in the USA but doctors hand them out like candy.

All I know is that xanax makes me feel like I'm walking around in a daze and within 30 mins of taking a tab I am out cold.  Valium relaxes me and really controls my anxiety.  guess I'm screwed anyway I look at it as I know I will always have to take someting.
xanax has got a short 1/2 life and is very addictive because of that. As Tropicalsoul described so well, you're in a daze within 30 minutes that's what the "high" is and that's what is addictive.
While valium having a very long half life, doesn't peak as much in your blood, so you feel relaxed without the "high".
For tapering plans xanax is mostly switched to valiun as soon as the first day.

Here is a site about benzos
http://www.benzo.org.uk/

and this is an example of a tapering plan from xanax
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s7

I hope it can answer all your questions.
feel free to pm me if you need to.
xxx. sophie.
Klonopin has worrk for me the last 7 years. I take 0.5mgs. 3x daily.As we all know there are different kinds of anxiety,low level aggitation,hyper vilengent, panic attacks on a scale of 1 to 10.on and on.
I don't feel in my head any high going on .And for me I have never found  it necessary to take more than perscribed.Thats why I like klonopin,it feels clean.Good luck
Avatar n tn
cannot get my doc to understand I get no side effects from Xanax and it works for me.None of the other drugs do the trick.i feel no side effects at all.why is this so hard for docs to understand?
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms