Anxiety Community
Zoloft & Klonopin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Zoloft & Klonopin

Hello:
Okay, a bit of history.  I suffered really bad with postpartum anxiety and insomnia, panic, in 2007-2008.  After trying a few other SSRIs that increased my anxiety to intolerable levels, I stuck it out on zoloft and it eventually worked great at 50mg.  I also was taking xanax for a while during this time to counteract panic attacks, but only once every 2-3 days until the zoloft started working.  I was also taking 25 mg trazodone to sleep and this combo worked great for a year.  After I stabilized I didn't need a benzo for a whole year.   Anyway, I tapered off everything thinking it was just post partum hormones causing all the trouble, but less than 5 months later, symptoms came back.  Not sleeping and having nightly panic attacks about not sleeping.  I went back on the zoloft but this time the increase in anxiety was crazy.  I had to cut down to 12.5 mg for a week, and now have been on 25 mg for a week, with the goal of starting 50 mg next week.  My dr. switched me to klonopin to deal with helping me sleep and avoid the nightly panic attacks.  I am starting to feel the zoloft help a little bit and have only had to take the klonopin every other night or so at .5 mg.  My question is:  is it safe to just not take it if I don't feel panic?  I know these drugs need to be tapered and I wasn't sure at what point do I need to do a taper rather than just try not taking it?  For example, when i up my dose to 50mg if I end up having to take it every night for a week, then do I need to taper down to avoid withdrawal effects or can I just stop taking it if I feel better?  I am hoping to get to the point where my symptoms are managed by the zoloft and trazodone alone again- but it seems to be taking a while.  I am trying to be patient.  Any input would be appreciated.
Anyone have any feedback?
Jade59 commented on Bubulous's status
1 min ago
specialmom commented on photo
specialmom commented on specialmom's status