Anxiety Community
Zoloft (Sertraline) and alcohol

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Zoloft (Sertraline) and alcohol

hey im 19 and a freshman in college.. i was recently prescribed Zoloft for anxiety/depression and will be taking 50 mg (gradually starting with 25)...  my doc said it was ok for me to drink just go slow etc..  i was just gonna get yalls imput bc im afraid i'll damage my liver or something.. i drink about every weekend and i will try and drink in little amounts... its just hard not to drink when people are pushing it at you from all directions and i would usually enjoy it and have a good time.. and i dont wanna tell everyone im taking zoloft everytime someone hands me a drink... so can i drink moderately about once or twice a week and not kill my liver?
i don't think it has to do with liver...more so the effects of the drug. if your doc said it was ok...then it's probably ok. you don't want to over do it though. in my experience...it doesn't take nearly as much to get me drunk being on anti-depressants. but i also don't drink very often at all. you might consider slowing down the alcohol use on the weekends and only do it when you want to do it...not when others want you to. if you have anxiety issues...it usually doesn't mix well with alcohol in that i've seen people turn completely to alcohol to treat their anxiety. not that this WILL happen...but the possibility is always there.
Not to mention alochol will cause depression and anxiety to be MUCH worse.  Just something to keep in mind.  In college, it is hard...the temptations are there.  Just please try not to over-do it!
i'm in the saaame position you are. it *****. all my friends drink a lot and when i don't because of being on zoloft they wonder why and i dont want to tell them. i've heard bad stuff about drinking while on zoloft so i'm scared to do it. you drink while on zoloft and you're fine?
If your doctor said go ahead and drink, but go slow, then try and go slow. But, in my humble opinion, I believe he should have advised you to hold your dose of Zoloft until the next morning.
There is no shame in being on a medication, but I do understand the fear of being stigmatized. Been there.
Just be careful, OK?
Peace
Greenlydia  
I am a 22yr old female and have been taking 50 mg of zoloft for anxiety/panic attacks for id say atleast 5-7 yrs. something like that. Anyway i recently increased my dosage to 75 mg because the 50 has stopped doing its job.  Just a little about me. Back to you, i'm not sure if the zoloft and alcohol cause liver damage or increase damage to your liver. However i do no this, i use to drink quite a bit, and i was having worst anxiety. It got really bad actually. I went to the doctors and he told me NO DRINKING! Basically the the alcohol takes the zoloft out of your system so therefore it does not work. When i stopped drinking slowly i started feeling better again. The zoloft had to get back into my system. I realize @ your age you want to drink and party, i had a hard time accepting that i couldn't as well. But if you really have bad anxiety like i do, its worth it not to drink. Other things that are helpful to know when you have anxiety is to limit your caffeine intake,certain cold medications, smoking, drugs, things like that. I'm a smoker and that does not make my anxiety worst but the other things i mentioned do. This does not mean it will affect you the same way it does me, but everyone is different. Take care and let us know how you are doing
mishymoshymarcy Being back at the gym is se... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Frenchies commented on Long standing dry mou...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms