Anxiety Community
Zoloft and Anxiety
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Zoloft and Anxiety

I am a 45 year old female. I have been struggling with depression for 3 months now, so 28 days ago my doctor prescribed 25 mg. of zoloft.  First few weeks were fairly typical as I adjusted - I slept more than usual, felt tired and had a few headaches.  I have noticed that during weeks 3 and 4 my anxiety is increasing ....prior to this I believe I was just depressed, not anxious. I am not anxious about any particular issue - I just have this pit in my stomach.  Also, it seems to be MUCH worse when I first wake up.  BTW, I take my medication about 30 hour after I wake up.

Is it possible the zoloft is causing me a new issue? Or this just a side effect while I adjust?  Another poster also mentioned "breakthrough anxiety"....can anyone give me a definition of that?  Thanks all!
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I  had some serious problems when i was on Zoloft. I felt like a zombie. I sleptway to much was not interested in anything. Even the slightest smell of food made my stomach turn. I was absolutely miserable.

I personally had more issues on the medicine than i did off. Hope this helps
Blank
P.S. i am a 24 year old female who suffers severe anxiety and depression. I also had very strange and painful periods.
Blank
In the last 18 months, my periods have also changed ALOT. Much heavier, longer, lots of clots. I am having endometrial ablation next Monday, which should help. However, I am done having children, so this is a good option for me. Talk to your ob/gyn...I know there are causes for this like cysts and fibroids. Ruling those out, there are medications that can help too. Good luck and thanks for replying!
Blank
4981427_tn?1371674069
It could be making you anxious but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.  It can be really difficult trying a new med but once it starts working it can really improve things for you.  You made it this far I would give it another few weeks.  But in the meantime talk to your doctor.  I've been on Zoloft for a looong time and it really levels me out i'm currently in a bout of anxiety now because i was not taking it propertly and was under a lot of stress but just started feelign the positive effects after 5 weeks.

Everyone is different and your doctor is the best one to talk to but I would stick it out if you can...and if it doesn't work out you can always try another one.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
Blank
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
Blank
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
2 hrs ago
Blank
Paxiled commented on Important Factors Typ...
6 hrs ago
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
Blank
Paxiled
Arlington, VA
Blank
anxiety860