Anxiety Community
Zoloft and Grapefruit Interaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Zoloft and Grapefruit Interaction

Has anyone had problems with Zoloft side effects as a result of eating grapefruits?  I started taking zoloft (100 mg daily) just two months ago and have not gotten over what I thought were the initial symptoms--dizziness, drowsiness, itchy skin.  I was so tired all day long that I found I had to drink up to 7 cups of coffee a day to stay awake.  While reading an old magazine, one title jumped out at me, "Grapefruit Concern".  It went on to mention certain prescription drugs that are affected by eating grapefruit and its juice.  Typically, I eat two grapefruits a day!  When I called my pharmacist, he said that it wasn't a drug that showed a high incidence of interaction with grapefruit, unlike the cholesterol lowering drugs.  (Internet searches clearly showed that there is a connection).  The pharmacist did however, say, that I should skip that night's dose and try to taper off.  After just a few days, my energy has returned and I hope to get off this drug completely. As I was only on it for two months, how slowly do I have go to wean myself off it?  Is one week alright?
Grapefruit has been proven to inhibit the cytochrome P450 enzyme group in the liver. These enzymes are chiefly responsible for the breakdown of Zoloft in your body. Given your grapefruit intake, it can be said that you're probably getting too much medication.

I would speak with your doctor about tapering off the Zoloft. One week is far too quick even if you've only been on the medication a few months. The dizziness you speak of as a side effect would certainly get worse following a rapid discontinuation.

Also, you may want to try tapering to a lower dose and holding there, thus decreasing side effects but giving the drug a chance to work.

-I am not a doctor. Take my advice with a grain of salt and speak with your physician or pharmacist about any changes in medication or treatment.
I was actually advised not to eat grapefruit while on Zoloft.  As Sharejew said, it does interact with SSRIs like Zoloft.  In fact, depending on what pharmacy I used to get refills, there would be stickers on the medication bottle stating not to consume any grapefruit products....furthermore, both my pharmacist and doctor told me to stay away from grapefruit.  I am not really sure why your pharmacist gave you the advice he/she did...keep us posted.l

blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
4 mins ago
LovemyKids86 . Comment
dianeadelle joined this community
Welcome them!