Anxiety Community
Zoloft and Klonopin

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Zoloft and Klonopin

Hi I was just wondering how many miligrams of zoloft and klonopin do most of you take?  And how often do you take the klonopin?  My doctor wants to up my medication and I'm kind of nervous about it.  Also how long before the zoloft kicks in.  Please answer because I think the fear of taking meds makes my anxiety worse.  Thank you.
It would probably be more helpful to simply learn about these meds, rather than collect data on what other people take, as everyone varies and it isn't going to be that useful to you.

A typical starting dose of Zoloft is 25-50 mg daily, and a typical starting dose of Klonopin is 0.25-0.5mg twice daily.  It can take 6 or more weeks (although usually most people see results sooner) to be able to assess whether or not the Zoloft is going to be effective.  Many people require a dosage adjustment or two until the right amount is found for each person.  The Klonopin should take a week or two to become effective and build in your system, although you will likely feel some changes pretty quick, including (hopefully) a decrease in your anxiety level.

ALWAYS discuss medications issues with your doctor...never alter your dose without the OK of your doc.  Take your medication EXACTLY as prescribed, and try to be patient during the adjustment phase...meds like Zoloft DO require a good bit of time to start doing its thing....and some can have some initial side effects that can be bothersome.

Also, are you going to be in therapy?  If not, I would highly recommend it.  While the meds may help decrease the symptoms...you need to learn how to cope with anxiety and how to deal with it when it strikes.  THAT kind of information is something you can use for a lifetime...it will help you attack the anxiety and keep it at bay.

Best of luck....we're in your corner, we've been where you are.  Please continue posting and let us know how you're doing!
I can't tolerate Zoloft since anal cancer treatment.  What I take is clonazapam, divided into two doses morning and night.

Zoloft like all antidepressants can take up to 4-6 weeks to show results.

I know you fear the meds.  Most of us do.  But it is time to just do it!
Hi.  I agree with the above posters.  Everyone is different and reacts differently to the meds.  I was on Zoloft for many years until it pooped out on me. Like 13 years, I think.  Now I am on Celexa, and other meds as well.  I started out with .5 mg klonopin, as needed, then 3 times a day.  Now I am up to 1mg three times a day.  My mood disorder/anxiety disorder seems to be stabilizing.  I don't like taking the meds but have had depressive episodes since the age of 9 ( I am 53), before they even had meds.  I have had multiple talks with both my pdoc and therapist about the number of meds I am on and I also fear meds, but something seems to be working....Talk with your doc. Unfortunately it can be hit or miss untl you find the right combo for you....hope this helps...
I TAKE 1 MG OF CLONAZEPAM A DAY AND 200 MG ZOLOFT A DAY. I USED TO TAKE 3MG CLONAZEPAM BUT I CANT SEEM TO FIND A PSYCH WHO WILL PRESCRIBE THAT TO ME. I KNOW ITS A HIGH DOSAGE.. BUT MY SOCIAL PHOBIA IS SO BAD... THE RISKS ARE LESS IMPORTIANT THAN THE BENEFITS. IT'S GREAT FOR MY SOCIAL ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION. WISH I COULD FIND UNDERSTANDING PSYCHS.
hi, i am on clonazepam and zoloft as well. i have started zoloft 50mg, and i take klonopin for anxiety attacks, 0.25 x 3 daily. my shrink asked me to go off the benzos once the sertraline kicks in, and i hope with this drug combo i'll manage to take life in my stride :-)
Jade59 New fridge to be delivered ... Comment
1 hr ago
gymdandee commented on  Herbs and Spices Low...
PJYen commented on 7 days cold turkey of...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms