Anxiety Community
Zoloft+Abilify

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Zoloft+Abilify

I tried to stop taking zoloft and abilify about three months ago.  I tapered off the zoloft and stopped the abilify cold turkey, per doctor's advice.  I had mild side effects for the first month and then totally crashed.  Needless to say, I called my doctor in desperation and was represcribed both medications.  I feel much better, but am still very serious about stopping the medications sooner than later.  Does anyone have any advice, such as herbal remedies, exercise, or diet changes that might help?  I really don't want to take these forever...
Sometimes some people need medication for a little while.  If it is working then why do we want to get off of it so fast?  I am a big proponent of medication while you learn about your anxiety through talk therapy.  If you have/had high blood pressure would you take bp medication if diet and exercise alone was not enough or if you have/had high cholesterol would you take a statin if you could not get the number down?  This is no different...while you are going through this, and this helps, why not focus on learning about the anxiety while you are on it if it is working?  In my opinion, many people are afraid to take medications like these even though they have less side effects then many other medications that are prescribed for various ailments.

But, medications are a personal choice and if you choose not to use them, many people choose to with success as well...please keep us posted!
Why were they being prescribed? And why did your doctor advise you to go off them? Zoloft is typically used as an anti-depressent. Abilify is an antipsychotic but sometimes is used as a mood stabilizer. What were they being used to help? That doesn't sound like a standard combination for anxiety disorder. It really depends what is going on. There are some people with very mild anxiety disorder who can manage anxiety attacks with behavioral therapy. Then again if the symptoms returned in full it sounds like the medications were neccessary and perhaps for more than just anxiety disorder and outside of the range of mild anxiety people basically need medication for life. It would help you to ask them exactly what its for if you weren't specifically informed.
Hi Molly,
I am trying to do the same thing, I want to taper from Lorazepam. Go to the web and look for Label Me Sane. Supplements and good nutrition is the only way out. Our brain needs certain supplements and minoacids. I will start taking some supplements soon. Let me know if that helped you.

Memela724
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status
Kikster24 commented on Why You Might Have A ...
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status