abruptly switching from xanax to clonazepam
Hi, ive had a long term neurological problem since i was 19, im now 34, anxiety and panic set in around 6 years ago - ive been on xanax for the last 5 of them . 1 mg - 1.25 mg a day, A doctor is telling me to stop taking the xanax and literally replace it with klonapin (clonazepam), ive read of the seizures etc that can be caused by abruptly stopping xanax and if anyone is going to have one im guessing its me, even though i am using another benzo - and its only day 1 of me starting - i feel as though there will be a backlash from simply cutting out the xanax all together after such long term abuse..

any input appreciated.
i take clonazepam, i would switch-drifter0213 (worked for me)
The problem is from abruptly stopping Xanax without starting another benzodiazepene (anti-anxiety agent in the same class). The effects of the Klonopin will replace it. I take Klonopin as well and have taken it 10 years. Its safer long term because there is far less of a potential for a person to build up a tolerance to it than Xanax which is generally indicated for short term use.
Thought this might be of some use. One of Ryan's old posts. clonazepam = klonopin

In order for Klonopin to replace Xanax, it must accumulate. Klonopin accumulates to steady-state within two weeks, at which point it will fully replace the Xanax from a potency standpoint. Xanax doesn't accumulate, therefore, simultaneously replacing it with Klonopin would lead to withdrawal phenomena. The Xanax plasma level would trough sharply, and there would be nothing to replace it.

Therefore, it would be advisable to "step" the Klonopin in, while simultaneously stepping out the Xanax. This is best done in 0.25 mg increments.

*Example* - You were formerly taking 0.5 mg of Xanax three times daily, and the goal is to transition to Klonopin, 0.5 mg, t.i.d....

Days 1-3: Take 0.5 mg of Xanax in the morning and afternoon. Take 0.25 mg of Xanax and 0.25 mg of Klonopin nightly.

Days 3-6: Take 0.5 mg of Xanax in the morning, and 0.25 mg of Xanax and 0.25 mg of Klonopin in the afternoon and nightly.

Days 6-9: Take 0.25 mg of Xanax and 0.25 mg of Klonopin in the morning, afternoon, and nightly.

Days 9-12: Take 0.25 mg of Xanax and 0.25 mg of Klonopin in the morning and afternoon. Take 0.5 mg of Klonopin nightly.

Days 12-15: Take 0.25 mg of Xanax and 0.25 mg of Klonopin in the morning. Take 0.5 mg of Klonopin in the afternoon and nightly.

Day 18: Take 0.5 mg of Klonopin, t.i.d. The Xanax is discontinued.
Hello there thank you for your post, this is exactly what my doctor did for me when I was taking Xanax, and switched over exactly what you did but over a period of a month now I am finding that the Klonopin is making me lazy all day I've been on it for about 7 years hands I really am having a hard time sleeping at night I've tried sleeping pills and they give me terrible night terrors so I tried taking a Xanax the other night and I slept pretty good then went back on the Klonopin during the day so I'm wondering if it's ok for me to do the Klonopin during the day morning and afternoon and then take the Xanax at night to sleep however your information above is completely correct that's the best way to transition from Xanax to klonopin I had no problems whatsoever I don't know about how to transition in reverse
Hi.  I have been taking xanax for many years.  Whenever I have had to go to the ER or see another doctor, they are astonished that I take 1 mg 4 times a day and tell me it's dangerous.  I am also prescribed 1 mg clonezapan to take before I go to bed at night.  Do not stop taking xanax immediately.  It has been known to cause seizures and even death.  You have been taking it for a long time, so you have to slowly take yourself off, by decreasing your dosage over a period of several months.  When I forget to take mine on time, I start shaking and having withdrawal symptoms as my body is addicted to it.  Please see below.

From a doctor:
So, here are my rules of thumb about xanax:
Avoid it.
Keep the doses small.
Do not use in older folks or forgetful folks (more likely to forget it, thus more likely to have problems).
Do not use in anyone with a history of alcoholism or addiction (yes, that means you have to ask).
Tell folks to avoid from daily use.
If they are on it, warn them that stopping it suddenly, even for a day or two, can result in confusion, hallucinations, seizures, and even death.

I don't believe anyone has had quite the experience I have with xanax.  I was taking as much as 4mg a day, every day. I have self decreased over  2 to 3 days. I went to taking just .5 a day for a short while. No doubt that if you get involved with this med as a anxiety reliever, you will feel panicky. But then again I was taking 4 mg a day.
   Don't sweat the small stuff such as .25, .50, or even 1 mg a day.  You will come down if you talk yourself out of it.  Do yourself a favor and do not exceed 1 mg. a day.  They do have extended release so that you will get a steady dose.  I will soon be in a position where a Dr. will cut me cold turkey.  Some Drs. refuse to give this out.  Take ONLY as you absolutely need it or you will find you will want to take more and more. Like any of these meds, take control of them. Do not let them take control of you.  By the way...... I still take it, but not as much.  And I know I can stop.  I will just go through certain consequences.  God help you all.
I just switched to clonazepam today after being on xanax xr 2mg.  I am having a horrible day.  I have had panic attacks, have gotten dizzy, jittery, a whole bunch of side effects from not being on it.  I never knew how much xanax could cause to your body.