Anxiety Community
alcohol and prozac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

alcohol and prozac

I just started taking 10mg a day of prozac due to anxiety and panicks attacks that i usually have at night ( 3 in the past 6 months), also im just an emotional roller coaster!  The doctor didnt say anything about avoiding  alcohol. I'm not an alcoholic but my girlfriends and I usually have 2-3 cocktails about 2-3 times a weeks. I was at a memorial day barbeque yesterday and had 3-4 drinks over an 8 hour period. I felt very anxious when i tried to go to bed and kind of like i was going to have aother panic attack. I know increased anxiety can be an initial side effect but it hasnt otherwise made me anxious. I'm wondering if it could be the alcohol that is increasing this side effect and should i avoid it all together?
Nervousness, insomnia, ANXIETY, tremor, agitation, headaches............the list of side effects of Prozac is quite extensive. You say you've just started taking them, so you have anywhere from 1-4 weeks for it to reach it's therapeutic level. During that time you should expect to feel like you're still on that emotional roller coaster, but you should also begin to gradually feel a lessening of that turmoil. Your doctor was remiss in not telling you to avoid alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant. Drinking booze with Prozac will only INCREASE the feelings of depression in your CNS. Why would you want to do that?
If your quality of life is so horrible while you are waiting for the Prozac to take effect, better you should ask your doctor for a MILD and VERY SHORT TERM use of an anti-anxiety med. If you DO go that route, then alcohol is absolutely OUT! Mixing those three is just asking for trouble.
And then, when you begin to feel better on the Prozac, you can discover the world of "virgin" drinks! Since you're not an alcoholic, it will be easy...........you and your friends can still go out for "cocktails", yours will just be less dangerous. (For you!) Play it safe and smart, OK? You won't be on the Prozac forever and right now, your mental health is far more important than a jigger of rum! Cheers!
Peace
Greenlydia
10356 commented on Pat1956100's status
specialmom, and TinaR10 commented on Shannon79's status
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...