Anxiety Community
also weaning myself off Lorazepam

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

also weaning myself off Lorazepam

I've been taking 1mg of ativan for over a year now and I want to stop.  I plan to do this very slowly by cutting the pills in half and not decreasing too rapidly.  I have heard that switching to valium can ease the withdrawal, but doesn't that just leave you addicted to the valium instead?
Klonopin would not be easier to withdrawl (withdrawal) from and I know it's one of the hardest to get off of.  If your medication is helping you to feel better, why get off of it?  Don't get caught up in thinking because this is a mental issue that you should be able to handle it on your own, because we rarely can. Anxiety can be a lifelong condition just like any other medical issue we would need medication for.  I agree that you should only withdrawl (withdrawal) under the advice and guidance of your doctor to ensure good results.  Just like we all have different experiences while on these medications, withdrawl (withdrawal) can be just as different for each of us.  Whatever you choose, I wish you the best!
It does help, but yes then you have to come of it as well. However it is not as hard to come off. The good thing is your dose of ativan is not high. I successful weaned off it. Just did it very slowly. My dose was quite abit higher than yours. Does your doctor or therapist know your plans? Are you weaning because you feel that you are better? Always inform your doctor and keep them updated. Good luck and keep in touch
It doesn't matter how many people tell you they weaned themselves off a medication, especially benzos. The bottom line, the hard and fast rule, is never attempt a w/d unless you are under the guidance and supervision of your perscribing doctor. This involves more than simply "informing" him/her of what you're doing.
I wish you the best,
Peace
Greenlydia
Thank you for your response.  I guess I want to come off because I'm tired of being dependant on it.  My doctor sugested that I try Klonipin (klonopin) for awhile.  I'm wondering if that would be easier to withdrawl (withdrawal) from than ativan.
I'm so glad you responded to me.  I did ended up taking my first Klonipin (klonopin) (.25mg) last night.  Too bad I didn't read your response first.  I absolutely hated it!  I though I was going to have to go to the ER.  Major hot flashes, then freezing cold, shaky....horrible.  I ended up taking an ativan an hour or so later and it helped.  I'm not sure if the reaction was from the Klonipin (klonopin) or because it had been so long since my last Ativan.  Anyway, I hope it is all out of my bloodstream this morning.  I'll stick with the Ativan for now. At least I know what to expect!  Also, I'm glad you said that if it makes me feel better, "why get off of it?"  You're right.  But my fear is that someday soon, this dosage won't be enough and it will get higher, higher and higher.  That frightens me.  Anyway, thank you again and take care
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms