Anxiety Community
always short of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

always short of breath

i am always short of breath and i feel like i am going to die any minute. Is anyone else constantly short of breath, i just dont knoiw what to do it feels serious, but doc keeps saying it isnt but what if he is wrong i dont want to risk my life Help!
If you WERE really short of breath, you WOULD really be dizzy -and maybe unconscious. Fact is, you are getting enough oxygen to keep going (so it seems) so what you are feeling is a sensation not necessarily indictating inability to breath. But yes, it does FEEL like that. A very common symptom for panic people. Bear with it and notive that, by golly -you ARE still breathing
I have it all the time it seems. Except when I am kept busy and my mind is occupied on something else.  then I realize, hey, I can breathe normally!  At first I thought there was something wrong with me.  In fact, I ended up in the ER because of it and they said nothing was wrong with me.  Everything was normal.
I went out today and walked the dogs out in the sage brush and I could breathe just fine and I'm breathing fine right now.  But this morning when I woke up,  I felt short of breath.   Like my chest couldn't fully expand.
I have shortness of breath right now and have had it for about a week. I am making an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow as I am now convinced something is seriously wrong. I had an echocardiogram (sonogram of heart) 9 days ago but have not received the results yet. I sure hope nothing is wrong with my heart or lungs. I am scared!
That's good that you're seeing a doc because it will ease your mind and hopefully help with your anxiety.  It has been hard to breathe for me all week long!  I hate it.  But if I'm busy, I realize I can breathe or when I'm almost asleep (totally relaxed), I can breathe.  And I'll  have days where I can breathe normally.  
i had the same issue, i always feel i am going to sufficated. I had this issue for a year until now, i did checkup with my family doctor, nothing is wrong. If i take ativan, i will feel normal again.

The best thing to do is not to think about breathing too much. Focus on something else will make breathing easier.
Have all of you tried an antihistamine? Benedryl is a great test. Makes you really sleepy. If you try Benedryl and in 20 minutes feel great and can breath perfectly than it could be allergy.

Ask your doctor for a PFT test for asthma.

The Benedryl test is easy, wears off after 4-6 hours. If allergy you should be breathing amazing on Benedryl. If not allergy you won't notice a thing. Talk to your doctor before trying any medication. Benedryl has an affect like alochol on some so don't drive for 4 hours after taking it.
You can also get an igE blood test to see if your body is producing allergies. If number 5 or lower than maybe you could rule that out.They told me I had anxiety too and doc ruled out allergy. I always felt I couldn't breathe and sometimes too often would get very heavy and tired and nearly pass out just laying on the ground or where ever. They said that was my panic attack. They ran the igE blood test and said WOW I wasn't making it up. Turned out to be allergy induced asthma. No anxiety at all. Great blood test! Now I carry my inhaler and antihistamine and breathe great. I don't know if this relates to you at all but ruling this out is very easy with a test. This can be done if PFT comes back normal. The reason why this igE test is good is because sometimes people have asthma but only triggered by allergy so the PFT test would not detect that.

Then there is the test from the other side. When you feel like you can't breathe your doctor can give you an albuterol inhaler to try. That should also tell you if that works or not. The results of testing albuterol is night and day. If asthma you will feel like your lungs just doubled in size. If anxiety it will feel like breathing in just air. But this would need to be done at the lung or asthma doc when they do the PFT or when you feel like you can't breathe. They might send you home with an inhaler to try when that feeling comes on.

Please post results if you do or go for any testing.
BTY the inhalers positive effect will only be felt when you have breathing restriction. If you just try it when you feel fine your airways are already open, asthma or not you won't feel a thing. But when you can't breathe well and your use the inhaler with asthma it should quickly return you to normal and that is a giant feeling that is definitely noticed.

There is also mucus that can be in the lung or airway from allergy that causes this feeling too but harder to detect. But the igE test will pick up allergy and then if turns out to be allergy then can look for the mucus if not asthma. All this can easily be ruled out or in with these simple harmless tests. I turned down the chest x-ray because we had already identified the problem with other testing.
I get this as well, and I am frighterned I am going to stop breathing, I cannot sleep, minute my head touches the pillow, up i get again, can't do it, i am so tired, don't know which way to turn and partner seems to think its just all in me head, but it is not
oh my so true--when you do not pay it any attention and keep yourself busy it miraculously disappears
I was recently diagnosed with anxiety. The past couple days I've been feeling kinda short of breath. If I walk up the stairs I'm out of breath or when I'm nervous. When I do dance I'm fine and when I'm busy I'm fine but when I over think it's so scary... I'm going to the doctors again tho. Do you think it's because of my anxiety?
Coolevelynnn added the Weight Tracker
31 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on heather727's status
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on photo
1 hr ago