Anxiety Community
anxiety and cardiac arrest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety and cardiac arrest

My son recently had a fainting spell and the EMT's were called. He came to and was ok until they did a blood sugar test. He is terrified of needles and such. He passed out again and this time his heart stopped. They had to do cpr about 4 times before getting him to the hospital. They did and EKG and echocardiogram. They told him that this was all due to the anxiety and stress, prescribed Xanax and sent him with instructions to not get stressed. He is to follow up with a cardiologist. Can this actually stop a person's heart from beating?
Anxiety, without an underlying medical condition will NOT cause fainting or the heart to stop.  Get your son to a cardiologist.  He may indeed have anxiety, but there must be something else going on to cause those events.  It may be something common or benign, but either way, he needs to be seen by a specialist.  I cannot stress this enough.
Anything is theoretically possible, but about as likely as getting hit by a meteor. I doubt if his heart actually stopped, regardless of what you were told. Fear of needles isn't uncommon. The EMT's should have asked him to look the other wayand close his eyes while performing the test. EMT's do not have authority to prescribe anything. A little bit of valium would probably be appropriate.
I am not about to Monday morning quarterback the use of CPR, however if, in fact there was a cardiac arrest the etiology would have to be determined. It would be due to theblood test.
Correction. It WOULD NOT be due to the blood test.
Get your son to a Cardiologist ASAP, anxiety will not cause the heart to stop!  Fainting with needles is common but none of this would have stopped your son's heart. If they're so sure his heart is okay.... you have to ask yourself...why would they suggest he follow up with a Cardiologist?  They didn't perform enough tests to rule out his heart as it can act up one moment and not the next.  EMT's are well trained and if they say his heart stopped then it did.  I hope this helps and wish your son all the best.
The EMT's didn't prescribe the meds. That was done by the cardiologist at the hospital. I asked him if they just did the cpr or if they did the defrib too and he said they did. Trying to find a good cardio dr. now who will take his medicaid. Thanks for the comments. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
It doesn't matter if he looks at the equipment or not. Just talking about it freaks him out. Always has. I used to be the same way but my heart never stopped. They also advised him to see a psychologist to help him get over that fear.
I was wondering about something. Could a weak vegus nerve have anything to do with this at all? I ask because I once had a nurse tell me that I passed out at blood tests because of that nerve.
My son did say that the dr. mentioned that nerve
A vagal nerve stimulation could have been the issue, that is more common right after a bowel movement, or straining (as in having a BM), exercising.  Seeing a cardiologist is the best way to sort it out.

I find it hard to believe they didn't admit him at least for observation after his heart stopped!  I would definitely want more answers and more tests!
They admitted him but only kept him for less than 24 hours. I, myself, thought it was too soon to release him. We are working on finding a primary care dr. so he can get a referral for a cardio dr (seems like it's the only way he can get in to one). I, personally, don't want him to see the one he saw at the hospital. He needs a second opinion.
I agree that a second opinion is the way to go here as well.  Sounds like you're doing what you can to make that happen.  Hang in there!
Hopefully it will be soon. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again.
Well, he finally went to the cardiologist and got a holter moniter for 72 hrs. He said the dr. said something about extra tissue around the heart and it was blocking the electrical workings. He has been having problems with his memory and speech since all this happened. Told the dr. about it and he said that was to be expected. I'm not sure what all this means. Hopefully we can be at the dr. with him when he goes back for results. He lives in another town. Any ideas of what this is? Much appreciated.
Just a short follow up...he had to do a 2 week monitor and the dr. said it is normal. He says he still doesn't know why this happened and scheduled a stress test and a tilt test.
Hi, so I read through all your posts as well of the posts of others here, and I have to say I'd look for another cardiologist If all that was ordered was 72 hour monitor and 2 week monitor. He should have a stress test, echo, and possibly even an EP study done. I've been in an out of cardiologist offices for the past 10 years and even for minor investigations they do more tests than just a few monitors.
Also your son should have his thyroid and electrolytes tested as well. Electrolyte imbalance can cause long QT which could lead to problems like passing out. I know your mentioned he had his blood sugar tested, but I saw nothing about electrolytes.
He is scheduled for the stress test on Tuesday and is freaking out because it involves needles. As I've mentioned, he's terrified of needles. They did an echo in the hospital. I know they did a lot of blood work in the hospital but don't know what they tested for. Hoping to go to with him for all the appts. so I can hear what the dr. has to say. His memory seems to have been affected since that episode so he doesn't always remember what was said. Will definitely bring up the topics you talked about. Thanks.
It sounds like he has had pretty thorough work-ups.  I hate to say it, but this may be one of those things you just never have an answer for.  It doesn't happen a lot, but it DOES occur sometimes that a medical event is just a mystery.

The good news is, things seem to be okay thus far.  It sounds like the cardiologist is continuing to work him up, which is good.  Don't ever hesitate to get a second opinion, too.

How has he been feeling since this episode?  Any issues?  Symptoms?

You're in my thoughts, thanks for the update...be sure to keep in touch and let us know how he's doing.  Hope he's healthy as a horse, and I hope they can at least give you an answer as to what caused such a serious event.
He has passed out a couple of times after an injury to his wrist but came out of it ok. He complains of dizziness, which worries me since it has occurred while driving. He is easily stressed, and has been just about all his life. Thank you for your continued support and advice. I will keep you updated.
travel_melb 6 weeks and going strong, m... Comment
28 mins ago
Missy1231984 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
pixielv commented on Tramadol & Ultram...