Anxiety Community
anxiety and increased thirst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety and increased thirst

I've noticed that recently in the evenings I've been getting incredibly thirsty and I'll drink water but I still feel very thirsty. My anxiety is always the worst in the evening. Could my anxiety be causing this? I'm not quite sure why its happening..I vaguely remember getting thirsty feelings like this when I was a kid and having bad anxiety but its been so long I'm not quite sure if its the same feeling.
Yes anxiety can make you thirsty.  When my anxiety is really high I have the same problem.

Try and calm yourself down and try and focus on something positive.  The goal is to reduce your anxiety and then you should notice that you aren't so thristy anymore.  Don't obsess over the anxiety because as you know that only makes it worse.

Good Luck....
Its weird you say that...I have been incredibly thirsty lately and no matter how much water I drink it doesnt seem to make me any less thirsty.  
I never made the connection to anxiety...now it makes a lot of sense it probably is that
Oh yay. Yet another anxiety symptom. At least I know now so when it does happen it doesn't freak me out as much.
When your anxiety is at a high, you notice things that you do where your like, "Wait a minute! This has never happened to me before!" and then you obsess over it making the condition even worse. The more you dwell on it, the more your going to suffer from it. You're going to notice your body doing a lot of wierd things. Trust me. I had times where for a whole week I had to **** insanely like every hour or two, etc., then as soon as I stopped diagnosing myself with diabetes, I just said what the hell and just pissed whenever I had to and it just vanished after a week. I went from peeing 5-6 times a day to like 14 times a day for a week and then back to 5-6 times and then it never happened agian. Anxiety is laughing at all of us.

You need to be careful though. Don't drink to much water in a short amount of time. You can kill yourself and that's not a myth.
Anxiety can cause excessive thirst (although your stomach will feel full with anxiety attack) but other serious conditions like Diabetes also cause excessive thirst in which your thirst hardly quenches. So please get yourself tested for Diabetes .. if test appears negative, then your case should be anxiety disorder.
Well I know I don't have diabetes so it is just the anxiety.
are you taking any medicine for your anxiety ? if you eat alot of spicy food .. then sometimes 'your' kind of anxiety is also caused after eating spicy food (from anywhere 3 minutes after the meal to half an hour). Heck some people think that they are having heart attack, because some people also feel heartburn and shaky hands.
I take xanax as needed which is maybe about once or twice a week. I only take it for my severe panic attacks.

I avoid spicy food like the plague. I haven't eaten anything spicy in probably a year at least.

I'm pretty sure its the anxiety. The only time I ever notice the increased thirst is when I'm feeling anxious.
I see.. but still to be on the safe-side please consult the doctor who prescribed you Xanax .. and tell him/her about your symptoms.
Excessive thirst should always be checked out by your doctor to rule out diabetes.  Diabetes does not discriminate against age, and you can have it quite awhile before you notice the first symptom of "excessive thirst."  Anxiety sufferers should never assume any new symptom is their anxiety, get it checked out. I am married to a diabteic, he suffers a lot! I wish you all the best.
It is anxiety. Don't scare the girl portzer, she said only in the evenings. If it was throughout the whole day from 12:00 am till 12:00 am then you would have problems but maybe. Just because someone is thirsty doesn't mean they are diabetic lol. There are a lot of earlier signs that come with the excessive thirst. Anxiety makes you constantly sweat if you have that sympton which makes you thirsty also.

But because it only happens at a specific time and when your anxious.. it's your mind. The only thing you can do is get meds or ignore it. If you need xanax for severe panic attacks, then you should be on some type of anti depressant. Your whole life will pick up agian if you give them a chance.

Whenever I get anxious like if I have to present a project, I ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me and I normally drink the whole damn thing when I'm presenting.. why? I have no idea.. I would freak out if I was drinking when I was nervous infront of people.

Just stay strong. You know your body better than we do.
MattyTaylor Happy Holidays! Comment
46 mins ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
OncecleanNserene commented on Tramadol & Ultram...