anxiety and niacin
I have just read the success of a medical investigative team using vitamin  B3 (niacin) to treat general anxiety disorder
instead of the now widely criticised ansiolotics especially diazepams like Xanax. My doctors have been dismissive of B3 even for redution of cholesterol. I haven't tried them yet on this new finding. this quote - 'He presented some very compelling evidence to support treating most psychotic disorders as a vitamin B3 deficiency' refers to Abram Hoffer a renowned researcher of B3. Google him. Meantime, anyone heard of this or tried a doctor with it?
I did not know he was researching anxiety-related stuff, but I feel the need to share his research regarding Niacin deficiency's role in paranoid schizophrenia (paranoid type is not organic like the other types of schizophrenia; you basically "develop" it, but not because of anatomical brain changes).

I am a psych major, and this has been discussed during my studies. Honestly, I am not surprised by the increases of mental illness and psychotic disorders in the western world because of how the culture is socialized and by the food eaten.
The way western food is processed is a shame...much of the food eaten in developed countries (not all, and not always though) is devoid of nutrients. Not to mention that the food of today is chemically different in many regards to the food of 40 years ago. GMOs, pesticides, bioaccumulation, etc., and of course the way food is produced, has changed remarkably with the advent of commercial farming.

I wouldn't say that vitamin deficiencies cause mental disturbances, I don't know what exactly causes them, I believe in the biopsychosocial model to describe most of human behaviour--combo of biological, psychological and social factors... But vitamin and mineral deficiencies definitely contribute to mental problems and there is a lot of evidence suggesting that poor nutrition is a culprit to many mental illnesses. I'm glad you are telling people about Hoffer's research! So many doctors prescribe pills right away, and many people believe this is the only way to get better. Sometimes it's worth doing a blood test... And it is definitely worth funding research like this that can end mental maladies with something as simple as changing our food habits, our food production.. all that. I tell you, one day there will be a food industry revolution (fingers crossed) and people will be doing a lot better.

So easily are MDs persuaded to medicate their patients when they come to the office with mental problems. I think one of Hoffer's main messages was that psychiatrists, as medical doctors part of the scientific community, forget the basic units of what helps bodies function properly: vitamins, minerals, water, carbs, protein, fat... I believe his way of investigating mental illness is wonderful. He's going back to the foundation of all living beings, seeing what's amiss, and instead of just prescribing potentially dangerous medications that essentially sedate the brain, he will hopefully find ways to CURE the brain. People don't realize that the medications for depression and schizophrenia... and whatever else... were NEVER meant to be used for long periods of time like they currently are. This is the basis of why he does his research. He doesn't necessarily disregard pharmaceuticals, but believes they can be paired with vitamins/whatever is deficient, and the mental illness will subside. VERY intriguing stuff.

Good luck with yourself and your doctors. Maybe start taking a multivitamin? I know I always feel better when I keep atop my diet and take a multivitamin. Since you are interested in anxiety and obviously suffer from it, check out some information of L-theanine. It is an amino acid found in green tea which calms the nervous system. There have been studies investigating it's use as a potential replacement for anti-anxiety medication (From what I read a while back, it did not work quite as well as the pharmaceuticals, but it definitely has an effect). I figure I would pass this along since you are obviously interested in mental illnesses and body-friendly cures. =)*sorry for the long spiel.  
Thank you. I fully agree with your comment that antidepressants, anxiolitics etc meds were never meant for long term treatment
Call it mind over matter or whatever but I started taking Niacin and inositol last week. I have felt a steady improvement in my mood and anxiety levels each day.

I have been taking a B Complex, 100 mg everyday for the past 2 months. The Niacin I take is 400 mg so that is a 500 mg/day dose. Yesterday I bumped up to 400 mg in the AM and 400 at night. There is definely an improvement that I feel. i am not 100% yet but I feel better than I did a week ago.
I have started taking Niacin 250mg in the night. There isn't much improvement in my anxiety and depression symptoms so far. I am planning to increase the dose but don't like flushing. Do you have any suggestion for me. Thanks...