anxiety and pregnant!!!
Hello, I was wondering if there are any women out there that have gone through or know anybody that has, having severe panic and anxiety attacks while being pregnant? I have suffered from this disorder all my life and have had 3 other children while not taking anything, just in the last 2 years have I been taking xanex .25 to .5mg a day. I am now pregnant with twins around 8-9 weeks. I am horriably afraid to stop taking these and am also afraid of the side-effects of the drug itself on the babies. I was just wondering if there's anyone out there that has gone through this and if so what advice do you have for me.
i am crying because i am so happy to see ppl who have gone through this !! I am 26 yrs old and have had anxiety and severe panic attacks all my life prob due to my bad childhood :( It has tortured me for so many years and all i want is a normal happy family and i refuse to let this stop me but i am a couple weeks pregnant and soo soo soo scared I cant even take it !!! My therapist told me to stop all my meds (zoloft kolonopin, ambien) COLD TURKEY! this cant be right ! I am beyond nervous about this my first pregnancy ! this web site has made me feel some much needed comfort and relief . thank you all so much for sharing you have no idea what this means to me .... or mabey you do :)
I'm 37 wkd along. I suffered major attacks off and on for about 6 yrs. No medication. Just the old fashion, just dealing with it. What I do, to help me. I focas on breathing. I attend to smoke more cigerates though. That I don't want to do too. I need help. Thyrpists didn't help...I just want my baby to be 100% ok. While takins care of 2 other at home. Who can o turn to that will understand, and help?
All the best.wish you well in your journey:)
i know how comforting it is to hear from people who have gone through the same.| have had anxiety and panic attacks though am not pregnant.My attacks started last year after an ectopic surgery and since then I have really been scared of conceiving. I have not had an attack in a couple of months now and I thank God.It's not easy but until you realize that you worry in vain, you continue to wallow in this mess called anxiety! -it is all in God's hands, you have to let go and let God.I know its easier said than done but that's the ultimate because regardless of how much we worry, nothing much we do other than worry more...Wish you all the best and all other mums out there battling with anxiety and panic attacks in pregnancy.
Hi, I am about 23 weeks pregnant and I have had anxiety ever since I was in middle school.  It all started with public speaking.  Before I found out I was pregnant I was taking Zoloft daily, and Xanax when needed.  But my doctor advised me to stop taking them, so I did.  I find myself worrying about everything and can't stop thinking about it, making me more anxious, and I wish it would all just go away and stop making me nervous for no reason. Any ideas?  
Believe me, if you suffer from severe anxiety, taking your medication (depending on what it is) outweighs the side effects. Last year me and my husband decided to start trying to get pregnant and I made the decision to taper off my xanax and prozac. My anxiety level was ok the first trimester, but when the stress that comes along with bringing in a little one to the world started to set in, my anxiety went through the roof. The anxiety and stress caused my blood pressure to peak unexpectedly during an attack, and because I was unaware of the signs this led to the onset of preeclampsia ( hypertension during pregnancy). My placenta ended up separating because my blood pressure was so high, and my son passed away just 3 weeks before my due date. So talk to your doctor, of coarse, because in some cases the benifit of the medication outweighs the risk.
I think you're absolutely right!  The stress is worse on the baby and the benefits outweigh the risk of taking xanax or any benzo!  I'm 36 weeks pregnant and have been on 2mg clonazepam for 10 yrs. so when I found out I was pregnant the doctor wanted me to get off and I stopped cold turkey wound up in the ER for severe withdrawls, heart palpitations, uncontrollable shaking, you name it I had it.  Now im on 1mg on clonazepam and have been through my entire pregnancy.  People who don't have panic attacks do not understand this.  They think well I wouldn't want to take any chance on harming my unborn child and rightfully so but we feel the same way.  It's better to try and get off of a benzo before becoming pregnant but it's life and it doesn't always work out that way.  You have so many aches and pains when you're pregnant it makes you're anxiety a hundred times worse.  Now that im towards the end im having them more than ever. Hope this helps anyone that reads it:)
I am also 11weeks pregnant & have been taking zanax for the last 6 years. I have done research upon research on the effects of zanax while pregnant. I read an article from a world renouned obgyn who stated they have done many many studies on zanax while pregnant. It turns out zanax has little to no impact on harming the baby. It will actually cause more stress on the fetus to stop them.. due to withdrawl & more stress on baby. If u do decide to stop you shoud ween yourself of off them very very slowly. It can take up to 6months to completely taper off depending on how long you have been on them.
Not to worry.I had panic attacks and awful anxiety with my first child and he turned out healthy and 2 days after his prefered due date. He is a very very happy and well mannered boy so I dont see how people say that if you suffer from anxiety through your pregnancy that you will have a child with ADHD or an abnormal child.That is so intrue as my anxiety waas so so bad that I was waking throughout the night so anxious that I couldnt get back to sleep.Dont worry as you deserve to be happy as when the baby comes you would so regret that you felt that way as you wont have anytime to think at all with the newborn baby there.

I respect yoour worries as I know exactely how you feel.You will be fine and you baby will be so perfect to you that you will wonder why we worried at the start.

Much love and GodBless you and your beautiful baby.
i am 25 wks pregnant and taking methadone as well as 2 mgs of xanax daily. i want to get off the xanax because my councelor at the methadone clinic said the baby will have a real hard time withdrawing.  also, even though i have a prescription for xanax, i was told  dcfs could still get involved. i wanted to go in inpatient but cannot find a single place that will take me this far pregnant on xanax. there are places that will take pregnant women on methadone but not any that i can find will take pregnant women on xanax. i do not know if i should wean myself off or to a lower dose? but that too may not be safe for baby. also is not too safe staying on 2 mgs of xanax until i have the baby. i am going to talk to my doctor who perscried the xanax to see what he says. but any suggestions?
So I'm really glad I found this site and that I'm not alone in having really bad anxiety while pregnant. I am close to 8 wks now and am in recovery from drug addiction. I was on heroin when I found out I was pregnant. I obviously quit and got back on a very low dose of Suboxone, which is Category C b/c they don't know much about it during pregnancy; they do suggest switching to Subutex, which I will be asking for from my doctor on the next visit. But I am still having horrible anxiety, partly due to quitting heroin, partly b/c of hormones from pregnancy and partly b/c I suffer from anxiety anyways. My problem is that b/c I'm a recovering drug addict AND b/c I'm pregnant, I don't want to use benzos. But I don't want to keep feeling like this either. It's also making my morning sickness much worse. I plan on getting into some CBT and possibly yoga and acupuncture, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take a couple xanax just until I get the other stuff going. If I do, I'm afraid of it hurting the baby, especially since I used before I knew I was pregnant, I'm already high risk. What do I do? If I tell my OB I used I'm afraid he/she will automatically classify me as a drug seeker and if I do need meds, they won't give them to me. I stay worried about the baby all the time and I'm so sick of feeling this way! My fiance is very supportive but I still feel lonely a lot and I have horrible nightmares almost every night. Should I tell my OB about the prior drug usage or should I just tell them my symptoms and let them decide what's best?
Iam a 23yr old mother and when pregnant with my 2nd son I went through the worse time of my life I started to go through anxiety I felt like I had to lie to everyone about because if I said anything they will think i was crazy and finally i let my ob know about it and she said she could't take anything for it i left crying as soon as i was out i though she was going to tell me everything was fine that it was normal later that week things didnt seem to make sence and i was getting my first anxiety attack it was the worse feeling of the world i had a 1yr old son that it was hard to attend to and pregnant with another i didnt go through that with my first so it was all new to me now when ever i think of pregnancy i dont think i ever want to again i have two boys and will love to have a girl but the anxiety is too much for me to handle let alone through pregnancy its been almost 3yrs since my pregnaacy and i still have anxiety not as bad as when i was prego but i thank everyone for their story so i can ask for the medication that you guys recommed and to know iam not alone and even though i  didnt use anything while pregnant i want to tell you that if i was gjiving the chance i would taken it was HELL so nobody needs to feel bad for taking anything only somebody going to anxitety know what it really is and if someone wants tp talk about it please let me know and maybe we xchange number or email
I'm new to anxiety and usually only take Ativan when I fly, however being prego now I have had small anxiety attacks. Meditation helps greatly, not eating fatty foods also helps, lots of citrus such as grapefruit and oranges too. I would stay away from RX mess as there are severe side effects. Take a small vaca even if it's close to home, prenatal massages also work great. Good luck
I've been a severe anxiety and depression sufferer for almost 12 years with several suicide attempts in my late teens (I'm 27 now). I am curently 30 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have had a pretty rough go of things.  I was on xanax and several other drugs every day but stopped when I found out I was pregnant. My husband and I were trying to get pregnant for two years so we had a lot of time to anticipate the challenge of going off these meds and to research other options. This is what I've found.

A couple options that are safer for baby that you can ask your doctor about are buspar (a non-benzo anxiety medicine: category b) and hydroxyzine (category c). Hylands also makes an over the counter pill called calms forte that has helped me a lot.  It's pregnancy safe, although a little pricey. I have alternated using these medications (under a drs. care of course) and although things have still been rough, they've helped me manage the worst of it.

One other thing that has helped that I'm sure people will have mixed opinions on is acupuncture. I'm not sure it helps the anxiety, but it has helped control the hormones that come along with pregnancy and can make anxiety worse (it also helps with constipation which is a big annoyance in pregnancy!!)  I hope this information helps!
Anxiety is manageable, even if you need medication to help make it manageable.  I am pregnant with my second child.  I am 25 weeks now and take a low dose of cymbalta, the lowest available.  Some days, I feel it is not enough, but I grin and bear it for the safety of my unborn baby.  I just got back from Thanksgiving in CA, and I came back in worse shape than before.  I miss my family terribly.  My husband doesn't seems to understand.  We live 7 hours away, so it is not possible to visit more than 2 or 3 times a year due to finances and taking time off.  I am taking everything day by day.
i am 33 years old and 11 weeks pregnant. i suffer from really bad anxiety and panic attacks. i have taken lexapro for 10 years and about 4 months ago they changed me to effexor now i stoped cold turkey. my panic is on.  i have palpatations wich in turn sets off the panic and the panic sets off the palpatations. really need someone to talk to or GOD just prey for me.
Hi, I was reading peoples posts on here and i was wondering is there any risk for what you are on for anxiety while being pregnant?? i am 31 weeks now and just started having severe anxiety because of a rapid heartbeat that i was in the ER for, totally scary!

Just read your post, I know exactly what your going through. When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter who is 2 now, I was on Paxil, and .25 xanax # times daily. The doctor told me I can stay on the xanax but had to get off the Paxil..my daughter was born early at 33 weeks and was perfectly fine. I have a history of preterm labor that's why my baby was born early. So if your anxiety is that bad get on xanax, after you deliver I highly recommend Paxil, it really helps with social anxiety what I have also..I truly belive it saved my life, with God's help of course. Best of luck to you and your baby.

April

April
i am going throught the SAME exact thing!! this relates to my situation the best i am 20 years old and found out i was pregnant about 4 weeks ago or so and i am about 7 weeks pregnant now my doctor totally refused to let me take them anymore and referred me to the emergency room if i couldnt handle it and of course i couldnt handle it as i have been on benzos for 4 years and klonopin i been on for a year and a half alone. I went to the ER yesterday and they told me how bad it was taking klonopin while pregnant as it is a category D (look it up if you'd like). They gave my six .5 klonopin to wean help wean off i have take three .5s for 3 days like .25s for 3 days and then .25s every other day for four days. I was taking 1mg a day every day sometimes more so to dramatically wean me off of them is a little much and i do still wonder if the stress is going to be worse or just taking the klonopin will have to ask my ob doc.but they should NOT take you off of them cold turkey absolutely not! not good for u or the baby. They gave me a script (category or A or B pregancy safe anxiety med) for after im done weening myself from the Klonopin is called Buspirone. Maybe look ino that? good luck!!
I think you should ask your ob doc whats going to benefit you more. having the panic attacks or just taking the risk of staying on the xanax.. they have me weaning off of klonopin and gave me a script for buspirone for after im done doing that and they gave me 2 weeks to wean myself off of them after being on benzos for 4 years now.. so i know how u feel and its going to be really hard just replace it with something like anything to keep ur mind occupied that good for the baby of course.. i am personally going to see a counselor for help. I want to try my hardest to stay away from any benzo cuz it has been proven to cause birth defects. good luck!!
ive heard that zoloft is really bad for pregnancy and have seen the commercials about it.. i wouldnt feel safe being on that while pregnant only because what ive heard.. i would do some research on it before continuing to take it but that is all up to you of course good luck!
I would deffinitly tough it out for the rest of your pregnancy with no meds! that is awesome you arent on any. After the baby is born however i think you should see a doctor about the panic/anxiety disorder as i have had this for 4 years i cant even go in big stores without freaking out so i know how you feel! try and stay calm and know that everything will be okay tomarrow is always a new days. i wouldnt suggust going on any type of benzo suxh a xanax klonopin ativan or valium they are so addicting and they end up making you ALOT worse in the long run you begin to depend so much of taking them just to feel normal every day that it is sickning ive been on benzo for 4 years just found out that i am pregnant and i am in the process of weaning myself off of klonopin and it is one of the worst feelings in the world.. I can say that it has absolutely ruined my life! and wish i was never introduced to it! It helps let me tell you but its very temporary. i would suggest any natrual way to fix your problem and seeing a councelor. Have someone go with you that you feel extra safe and comfortable around! good luck! my heart goes out to all u guys as i know exactly what you are going through!
This is exactly what i said! After finding out i was pregnant! i wish it was planned so that i had time to wean myself off of the Klonopin before i got pregnant so that it didnt have to be so quick and sudden! they had just given me my usual klonopin and advised me to start prozac and i bought a pregnancy test before starting my prozac and found out i was pregnant didnt start taking it but continued the klonopin as i am now weaning myself off of this now its a HORRIBLE feeling as i am so addicted to it after taking it for 4 years but i have to do what is best for the baby and everyone has told me klonopin cant be continued as it is a category D. So if you are trying to get pregnant i would DEFFINITLY recommend starting to wean urself off of them (ask your doctor)  so that when you do get pregnant your not overwhelmed about still being in the prozac and your body will have time to get used to the change. Good luck!
This was very comfortable reading this! Made me feel alot better! I just started weaning myself off of klonopin afterr finding out i am pregnant and it is the worst feeling in the world as it has ruined my life! or atleast started too i woke up last night crying sitting in the bathroom puking praying to god for his help and guidence!
i am on and off with those feelings but my pregnancy was unplanned but very obvious i was going to get pregnant. it is deffinitly your hormones running back and fourth! think positive and be happy! just think that you have accomplished something that you have tried for! Think of how happy you will be when you get this baby out! Think of names and talk with you husband about everything maybe he can reassure you that everthing will be okay. I have to be reassured by my boyfriend every day that this is what he wants and that he isnt going to up and leave he does a very good job keeping my comfortable but also stresses me the hell out sometimes and i have my doubts but i am trusting what he says and trusting in how i feel. as this is a new relationship so its very iffy and scary but im beleiving good luck!!
I have been suffering from anxiety since I was in my early 20's. I am 26 now and am 27 weeks pregnant. When I first learned about the pregnancy I was on 30mg/ Paxil daily. My family doctor told me to wean off of them, so I did. Worst mistake of my life..My anxiety and depression became so unbearable that I had to start taking Celexa. I am now on my 2nd day of the full 20mg dose after 5 days of 10mg. I feel absolutely hopeless and I am so scared..of everything. How am I suppose to take care of a newborn baby if I feel this way when she is born ?!  I can barely take care of myself. I am on a waiting list for some counselling and am hoping this medication will kick in sooner than later.  This site has helped me not feel so alone..
My 17 year old daughter is going through the same thing,I have gotten her to go out of the house but soon as we get to the doc office she wont go in.she says she cant.we have tried everything nothing has worked so far .she is 31 weeks pregnant.
I am 37 weeks pregnant and I have been dealing with anxiety for about 11 years I was on Zoloft and Xannax before I got pregnant but stopped once I found out. My anxiety is so bad all I think about is death and dying! I'm hoping she comes soon so I can feel myself again but in scared I won't ever feel the same! Can anyone relate to the way I feel or am I alone
You're almost there!  You're not alone. I suggest talking to your doctor about the different options that there are, wether it be counselling or baby safe medication to get you through the last few weeks of pregnancy. You won't feel this way forever!
this site has helped but also scared me at the same time I am almost 28 weeks with my first child I have been taking Xanax and benzos on and off my pregnancy for depression and anxiety I know there are others that doctors can prescribe but if u are not suffering u don't understand what its like. I feel horrible and worry everyday about the help of my little girl its driving me insane can someone please give me some answers let me know if my baby will be ok or if u have had a child and took Xanax throughout ur pregnancy is your child healthy
.....thank u
I have the exact same fears!  I feel as if I am going to have a heart attack any second and die right in front of my son.  I hate this feeling.  It is so not me.  I think everytime I turn on the news someone is dying.  
anxiety *****! i to am 23 pregnant and suffer from this!! WHY !? I ask myself!
It is so good to know that I am not alone.  I am not pregnant yet, but my husband and I were going to go through artificial insemination.  But I have suffered for anxiety for 25 yrs.  I am on Paxil right now.  The thought of conceiving, being pregnant, delivering a baby has brought on severe attacks.  I cannot function, eat, sleep, work.  Now I am wondering if it is all worth it. Maybe I don't need to have a baby, maybe adoption is a better answer for me.  I have prayed for God to take this burden from me.  Everyone says just let God have your worries, or trust God more, but I don't know how to trust God more.  It is so hard when no one around you knows how you feel.  I have "pushed" through attacks before, but I can't imagine living with this feeling for 9 months, maybe longer.--I can't live with this feeling for 9 months.  I feel like I have let everyone down(husband, mother, family) if I can't have a child naturally because of my disorder, or I feel like less of a woman because I don't want a child bad enough to go through the attacks. Help please!
I can relate to a lot of what you said. My husband and I also want to start a family fairly soon. I had my first anxiety attack last March and have been on Wellbutrin (75mg/twice a day) and Xanax (.5 mg/day). I'm in my last year of dental hygiene school which I'm also concerned about because of the added stress. The reason we want to try now is that I'm 27 years old and I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to get pregnant. I'd like time to monitor my cycle, etc. I don't know what to do about my meds... I tried not taking the xanax but I just felt off the entire day. I can't imagine doing that for 9 months. I just feel so alone and I'm tired of stressing over this stuff. My husband is really encouraging and tells me to just trust God. But how can I when things like birth defects, etc is a possibility. I know I should have faith...but I don't know how. I feel guilty for not being a more "glass half full" type person. Anyways, just wanted to vent that out.
I had same issues, same medication. Let me ask, are u ok on your period? I was on every medicine u can think of with aniexty and depression and panic attacks, but realized none were working so I looked into what caused what.. I realized I'm the nicest person (I ask every bf too) on my period but not the rest of the month.. Go figure I was sane when I was pregnant too! I have a hormone imbalance. :) I started a birth control pill w the extra hormone in it, go figure didn't need the other meds. I suggest you should try it. :) good luck
My doctor put me on Xanax and I'm trying to get pregnant. He informed me that If i get pregnant to stop taking xanax. I was on a very low dose and it seemed to be really helping. My cycle days went from 60 days to 28 days. When I called to get a refill (30 pills in 3 months) so I don't take often and when I do I take half. He said no. He said that that is not safe while I am pregnant or trying to get pregnant. I asked him if there was anything safe that I could take during pregnancy that he would recommend and he said no. He said that when I get pregnant and I still have anxiety come see him and we can discuss our options. :(
I miscarried from taking xanax while pregnant but i didnt know untill it was to late i was only eight weeks any kind of benzo is not safe unless you start it later then 12 wks which its still not safe, i was on 4 mg a day and i stopped by slowly taking myself off of it going down .5mg a week, its not easy but is possible
I'm 19 weeks pregnant and I'm 18.
My anxiety & panic attacks were so bad that my doc had Me on 2mg a day Xanax.
Once I got pregnant a little before my 2nd trimester the anxiety got worse. My doctor said that the stress, no sleep, no eating, panic attacks etc. are worse on the baby then taking Xanax. I continue taking my dose & my baby is growing perfectly !!
I am 3 weeks pregnant and started crying when I saw your post.  I am going through the exact same feelings and I am freaking out. How did you do and how is life now. Please help!
I am also a long time sufferer of anxiety and panic attacks and have been on the generic brands for Zoloft and Xanax. I am trying to get pregnant but I need to know if I can take those meds during my pregnancy. I've been told not to because of birth defects so I desperately like to know if there are alternative medications that I can take while pregnant. Someone please help!!!
Ask your doctor if there is an anxiety medication that can be used as an alternative to xanax. I am going through the same exact problem.  You are not alone. I asked my doctor if it was safe to take clonzepam and she told me no bc it was a category d.  She is going to start me off on something else when I am in my second trimester. Right now you should exercise daily which releases endorphins and keep yourself busy.
I have this sometimes, too. Most of the times I am having an anxiety attack, I am either driving in my car or somewhere far from home. Something about being on the road (with no one else along) causes me anxiety. And sometimes sheer panic. It's such an irrational fear but I admit I have it. Hang in there! All I can say is it helps me to call and talk to someone on the phone or take a small dose if ativan.
I am struggling with this as well. I am about 5 weeks pregnant and have been taking xanax for 10 years. I am TERRIFIED that I am going to have a baby with birth defects. I have been weaning down on it but my anxiety and depression symptoms are getting SEVERE. I feel suicidal because I am so exhausted, sleep deprived and sick to my stomach and simultaneously terrified that I am going to have a baby with birth defects. I am not in a good place. Psychiatrist put me back on an SSRI to help with the sx so I can go off of the xanax. But its the worst to take xanax during the first trimester and that is when I will have taken it. this is hard.
Oh my god. Reading this just made me almost cry. I have SEVERE anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD. I have taken xanax for 10 years and I have been trying to wean off of it because I am beyond terrified of hurting my baby or having a deformed, sick child. It is causing me so much terror and anxiety that it just compounds everything else.

To hear that your doc said the stress, no sleep and not eating is WORSE for the baby than xanax makes me feel like 1000x better. I have been in a living hell for the last 2 weeks. And its so sad because i feel like most people I know who get pregnant are SO happy and feel great. I felt like there was something so wrong with me that I was having worsening anxiety sx and horrible fears.
I am so sorry u are going through this. I don't even know u and my heart is hurting for u.
hi so sorry for your issues, am curious so how did your pregnancy go? I am asking because where i live doctors dont take anxiety issues seriously. Any time i speak of my anxxiety sysmptoms to my doctor he says i shd relax n will be fine, no medication or any thing. av had m.c's in the past n still ttc. am just wonding if i can carry a pregnancy to term with butterflies in my stomach always and palpitating heart and sleepless nights. I work full time too.
I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and I take .5mg of ativan as needed I have anxiety so badly I get these uncontrollable movements... That last for hrs longest is 24hrs it makes it hard to function through out the day and take care of my two boys.... I'm desperate for some advise for somebody who has experienced this same thing.
My mother took Gardenal and diazepam during her 2 pregnancies. My brother and I turned out fine. My impression is that doctors in general don't want to be blamed if something goes wrong. Once I saw a pregnant mom jump from the 18th floor since her OBgyn told her to go cold turkey on AD+benzos. Sometimes you just need the meds and since there are no human studies correlating pregnancy and risks with the use of such meds (and it'll never be!), do what's best for you and seek other specialists to take this burden off.
I am 30 and have 3 kids already.  I am 8 weeks pregnant with my 4th. I have had anxiety in the past when i was like 18. But been ok ever since. I had a health scare and it sent my anxiety in full effect. I sometimes feel like i dont want to have the baby because i wont be able to focus and take care of it. Does or did anyone ever feel like that? And i wake up from sleep feeling like im shaking but its on the inside. Has anyone had that before?