Anxiety Community
anxiety and smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety and smoking

ive been smoking cigs since i was 12,and im now 20 i recently had a full blown anxiety attack,and for the last couple of days havent smoked cuz of the fear of having the "heart attack" again .a week later im better now . i havent smoked but i have real real bad urges even though i know it will send me into a frenzy.ne1 in this forum knows stress is the worst thing but so are stimulants.but my stimulant relieves stress(in my mind, i know)so is there anyone with ideas on helping me quit better.this is especially bad after i eat cuz,i always smoke afterwards, like most.any help is appreciated .is it the smoke itself that sets me off or is it nicotine in general,is the patch or gum out of the question?
it's the nicotine -- its one of the most powerful drugs around..and there are many.
there are nicotine free cigs out on the market called "quest". has anyone else tried this,and not have an attack cuz i think this could help with the physical addiction
just to update on this, i bought a pack of Quest step 3 "non-nicotine" cigs. although they still do have nicotine in them 0.05(norm 1.86) and they do not cause attacks or pain.i wouldnt advise you to smoke,but it is a remedy to help you quit.and im not on any meds yet, so its not that
I have been smoking since I was 12 also and now i am 27 and still cant quit even though I have bad health anxiety and what does smoking do????....Causes cancer and other bad illnesses.  Kinda ironic isnt it that I worry about my health constantly but yet I smoke a pack a day.  

I am going to try those quest cigs..I need to quit also!!!  let me know how you are doing!

Laurin  
so far they havnt made my heart race like crazy like newports did,they made me have an anxiety attack and,after that feeling, i was terribly afraid to smoke for 5 days but the craving came back and ended up stressin me out..i bought the opposite of what i smoke(non-menthols)and i only smoke halfs at a time.so im smokin 2 cigs a day,4 times a  day mornin,lunch,dinner and at nite and it helps.ive done alot of addicting ilegal and legal drugs in my time and could stop anything at any moment,even cocaine.but this is the worst thing ever,so good luck to you
i've heard that quitting cigarettes can be worse than quitting many of the hard illegal drugs. have you tried the patch yet? since you don't smoke much you should start with step 2. it really takes the edge off. don't sleep with them on because they can cause some crazy dreams. your so young, you need to quit now. it's so much harder the older you get. i'm wishing you the best of luck with quitting for good. take care. Remar
i started smokeing when i was about 14, im now 22 so thats about 9 years of my life that i was feeding my body drugs! then feb this year i had a really bad pain in my chest got rushed 2 hos they thought i had a clot on my lung iv never been so scared in all my life! they did all kinds of test it turnd out 2 be a pulled muscle iv never touched a fag since. the worst thing is iv had anxiety really bad and  every1 tells me 2 have a fag ang ill b ok. affter sitting down and thinking about it i realised im young enough iv got this fare and i can only get better the wourse is over there for its all will power u have 2 want 2 stop 2 do it. im sure it will be for the best 2 out health in the long run.
mishymoshymarcy You're not struggling anymo... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status