Anxiety Community
anxiety and syncope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety and syncope

Do people ever faint as a result of anxiety or stress? I have been told that people having an anxiety attack never faint but may feel like they will.
I've never heard of anyone fainting from panic attacks, nor have I fainted as a result of one.  But there are very traumatic things that may make one faint ie; the sight of blood, hearing a loved one has died, etc.  Fainting is the body's way of protecting us, when it senses that what we are seeing or hearing is too much to handle, it sort of "shuts down"  regroups and we wake up feeling fine.  That's the only way I know how to explian it.  Yes, panic attacks make us feel like we will faint, but I've never heard of anyone actually fainting.  Hopefully, others can enlighten us both on this.  Take care!
Mammo- that's always been my understanding too but wondering if.it does happen in some people.
Hey there,

I don't wish to add to your anxiety, but you asked.  I have fainted twice from what doctors felt was a panic attack.

Once it occurred suddenly after I had taken stool softeners as part of a colonoscopy prep.
The ER doctor found nothing wrong with me. I was not dehydrated.  Hadn't begun the serious part of prep.  She did have a physical explanation.  There is a vein that goes from the neck to intestine..Vega or Varga....forget now what it is called.  She believe my anxiety combined with a sudden spurt of diarrhea triggered the the incident.

This year, after attending my son's memorial service, my daughter took me to Starbucks to regroup.  You can imagine the stress of the memorial.  Over 200 friends and family in attendance.  I made the mistake of not taking 1/2 a clonazapam as I do usually before a stressful outing.

I started blacking out before I could take a pill; made it to door and collapsed on a bench outside Starbucks.  I also threw up, and had to be helped to rest room to poop.  Again, it was a ride to emergency room.  This time attendants felt it was most definitely a panic attack.  They remembered admitting my eldest who was shot three times but lived, and my son who died.   So there was no talk of physical reason, tho' I was put thru' the usual battery of tests.

In retrospect, I believe I might have prevented both or at least the last incident by taking half a clonazapam.    

Last week I had to undergo another tough colon cleanse.  Almost passed out by 10pm, but called sis who brought broth and stayed awhile.  I was able to go through the barium enema the next morning without incident.  This time I took 1/2 tab AM.  I just knew I wouldn't let panic disrupt this yukky test.  

You may think these are extreme examples of stressors, and I guess they are for me.  Many people do not react this way, so I know it is the panic/anxiety disorder I have to watch out for when undergoing medical procedure or difficult social events.

Best.
Thanks sillygirl- I am guessing u had what's called a vasovagel response causing u to faint.
I have panic.disorder for many yrs. Also a diagnoses of ms and autonomic dysfunction. I am told my bp bottoms out causing me to.faint which I.agree with but twice when I fainted earlier in the day my anxiety had been very high and I often wonder if there's a connection.
I am sorry u lost your son. My heart goes out to u. I have been given klonopin but never took it as I have been told its addictive. Do u use it on an as needed basis?
Thank u both for your answers:)
gyspy09 going to stay off here for ... Comment
42 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy Im falling, i knew this tim... Comment
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...